THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Flash tune problems

08-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
ham_hock_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Flash tune problems

So, I recently dropped off my M235xi to a local, reputable tuning shop. I discussed many things with them as I'm fairly conservative in my desires to seriously modify the car. A Dinan Stage 2 seems intriguing, though the cost is difficult to justify for the minimal gains. I added a Fabspeed Sport Cat for some extra power and sound along with a Dinan muffler.

Long story short, after a few rounds of tuning, they kept running into issues: first thinking it was the plugs, so they changed them out to one-step colder. Then they thought it was bad gas...not that either. Finally they landed on the intercooler and immediate heat soak. Is this common on the car to need an upgraded intercooler before any real tuning? They said the car would run great for 1 or 2 runs, then begin to have heat issues. At the end of the day, they said they could do SOMETHING, but it would be extremely minimal and maybe not worth the cost. They recommended an upgrade to the intercooler, then do a tune. The car is now flashed back to stock, my money refunded, and me left curious to next steps.

Anybody else have an experience like this?
      08-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Flash tunes like Bootmod3 recommend intercooler for Stage 2. The stock intercooler is pretty small and will heatsoak very quickly with higher power levels.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I have BM3 stage 1 and I'm enjoying it. I do plan on upgrading the intercooler when I go to stage 2 though. I'd recommend going that route. For $50 you have access to all of their off the shelf maps while still maintaining the ability to go with a custom tune if you decide that their ots maps aren't sufficient.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
ham_hock_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I have BM3 stage 1 and I'm enjoying it. I do plan on upgrading the intercooler when I go to stage 2 though. I'd recommend going that route. For $50 you have access to all of their off the shelf maps while still maintaining the ability to go with a custom tune if you decide that their ots maps aren't sufficient.
Are you doing anything to monitor the timing or temperatures? The tuner mentioned that timing issues may be happening, but never noticeable or immediately problematic with some of these tunes—Dinan included. An interesting take for sure, as I'm sure it's expected that these OTS tunes function perfectly?
      08-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Are you doing anything to monitor the timing or temperatures? The tuner mentioned that timing issues may be happening, but never noticeable or immediately problematic with some of these tunes—Dinan included. An interesting take for sure, as I'm sure it's expected that these OTS tunes function perfectly?
not really to be honest with you. I ran some logs and posted them. everything looked fine as far as I could tell.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0