THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Best Camber Plates for 2ers

12-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
ramy_who
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB, 1989 325is

Best Camber Plates for 2ers

I recently purchased Bilstein B14's for my 228 xDrive. Everything else in terms of suspension is stock. I'm not going to put the coilovers on until I figure out the best camber plates I can get for street/track use. My major concern is noise. My criteria for my ideal camber plates:

1. No noise
2. Not adjustable (throw them on and forget about them)
3. Material quality

From what I've read Vorshlag plates are good but I went on their website it seems like their product is overkill for my use , and I feel the same way about Ground Control. I like the idea of Dinan because ordering and installation seem more straightforward.

I'm no expert on the topic so if someone can shine in?
Cosmetic Mods: Vorsteiner V-FF108 18x8.5 +35 Square | M Performance Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

The closest to fixed is the TC Kline.

All the others are sliders, and are fully adjustable to whatever range they work with. Certain ones have more camber adjustment. (Vorshlag). But remember you are still limited by the spring diameter. If you are running stock springs you'll probably be limited to -2.5. If you have smaller coilover springs, then you could get up to -3.9 i believe.

Dinan or TC Kline have simpler designs.

Dinan uses the OEM strut mount bearing. GC uses an Aurora center spherical bearing and an older BMW E series bearing inside custom replaceable spring mount, OEM, 2", 60mm etc.

The Vorshlag and GC plates are the best Your really not paying much more. The Vorshlag has a much beefier bearing design IMO.

I recently installed the Dinan plates on someones F22 and it was not a bad design. It just sucks if you have to replace a bearing. BMW doesn't sell them separately. You have to buy the Entire OEM Strut Mount with the metal casting. The GC's are fully rebuildable.

-Paul
Appreciate 4
x233284.00
Tpeterson156.50
BM235iW97.00
      12-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2addict View Post
I recently purchased Bilstein B14's for my 228 xDrive. Everything else in terms of suspension is stock. I'm not going to put the coilovers on until I figure out the best camber plates I can get for street/track use. My major concern is noise. My criteria for my ideal camber plates:

1. No noise
2. Not adjustable (throw them on and forget about them)
3. Material quality

From what I've read Vorshlag plates are good but I went on their website it seems like their product is overkill for my use , and I feel the same way about Ground Control. I like the idea of Dinan because ordering and installation seem more straightforward.

I'm no expert on the topic so if someone can shine in?
You probably want to figure out what coilovers you're going to run first.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
ramy_who
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
The closest to fixed is the TC Kline.

All the others are sliders, and are fully adjustable to whatever range they work with. Certain ones have more camber adjustment. (Vorshlag). But remember you are still limited by the spring diameter. If you are running stock springs you'll probably be limited to -2.5. If you have smaller coilover springs, then you could get up to -3.9 i believe.

Dinan or TC Kline have simpler designs.

Dinan uses the OEM strut mount bearing. GC uses an Aurora center spherical bearing and an older BMW E series bearing inside custom replaceable spring mount, OEM, 2", 60mm etc.

The Vorshlag and GC plates are the best Your really not paying much more. The Vorshlag has a much beefier bearing design IMO.

I recently installed the Dinan plates on someones F22 and it was not a bad design. It just sucks if you have to replace a bearing. BMW doesn't sell them separately. You have to buy the Entire OEM Strut Mount with the metal casting. The GC's are fully rebuildable.

-Paul
I just checked with HP Autosport and apparently TCKline and Vorshlag camber plates wouldn't fit with Bilstein B14's. Does anyone know if Dinan plates or any other option would fit?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2addict View Post
I just checked with HP Autosport and apparently TCKline and Vorshlag camber plates wouldn't fit with Bilstein B14's. Does anyone know if Dinan plates or any other option would fit?
Oh you already have the coilovers. I didn't catch that. Usually you wouldn't pick a coilover without knowing what works with it...or vice versa.

I would actually call TCKline and Vorshlag to confirm. I've spoken with both of them and they were very helpful. Though I went with the KW camber plates.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
ramy_who
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Oh you already have the coilovers. I didn't catch that. Usually you wouldn't pick a coilover without knowing what works with it...or vice versa.

I would actually call TCKline and Vorshlag to confirm. I've spoken with both of them and they were very helpful. Though I went with the KW camber plates.

I made the mistake of ordering coilovers before looking into which camber plates would work with them, but coilovers are more important than plates IMO! Vorshlag and TCKline plates are not compatible with my Bilstein, but Ground Control confirmed fitment so that seems to be my only option for now.

I barely track my car (I actually never have) but I'm planning to do a few track days come spring. Although camber plates would be nice for track days, the reason I want plates is because I'm trying to ditch my 225/40/18 run flat square setup and get 255/35/18 PSS square instead, which won't clear my fender (and possibly struts) without plates.

Last edited by ramy_who; 12-10-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramy_who View Post
I made the mistake of ordering coilovers before looking into which camber plates would work with them, but coilovers are more important than plates IMO! Vorshlag and TCKline plates are not compatible with my Bilstein, but Ground Control confirmed fitment so that seems to be my only option for now.

I barely track my car (I actually never have) but I'm planning to do a few track days come spring. Although camber plates would be nice for track days, the reason I want plates is because I'm trying to ditch my 225/40/18 run flat square setup and get 255/35/18 PSS square instead, which won't clear my fender (and possibly struts) without plates.
Yeah, I run a 255 square too.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

haha if you need 255 square on the streets then your being silly. I imagine even with camber plates, you might need a slight roll of the fenders??

i run 235/265 on the track for HPDE's and they do a pretty good job at holding -1.1gs
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
ramy_who
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
haha if you need 255 square on the streets then your being silly. I imagine even with camber plates, you might need a slight roll of the fenders??

i run 235/265 on the track for HPDE's and they do a pretty good job at holding -1.1gs
I have a square setup. Stepping up from 225 to 235 isn't much of an upgrade IMO. I'd be happy with 245.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

You don't need to roll the fender.

My 255 square holds +1.2gs

Quote:
I have a square setup. Stepping up from 225 to 235 isn't much of an upgrade IMO. I'd be happy with 245.
245 would be the best for a street setup in my opinion. With a 255 you'll have to run a very aggressive alignment (camber). With a 245 you'll still get the great balanced feel of a square setup.

Last edited by Anthony235; 12-14-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Right, the threaded portion of the Bilstein is way too short and Vorshlag's design(thrust bearing in the upper perch) does not allow enough of the threaded portion to be captured even with a long reach nut.

That said, with a Bilstein strut in their hands, they may be able to engineer something to work as they have done with Ohlins R&T.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
...That said, with a Bilstein strut in their hands, they may be able to engineer something to work as they have done with Ohlins R&T.
Harold is right. We can model it to see what fits, but it's just too close to depend on the model. Without one in-hand to test fit, we can't guarantee fitment.
      07-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Alright, about to make a decision. Stuck between GC and Dinan. Price is irrelevant. Looking for best street manners, adjustment and compatability with various coilovers, and rebuildability.

Anyone have updated thoughts, complaints or reccomendations?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
Alright, about to make a decision. Stuck between GC and Dinan. Price is irrelevant. Looking for best street manners, adjustment and compatability with various coilovers, and rebuildability.

Anyone have updated thoughts, complaints or reccomendations?
KW Clubsport.
Appreciate 0