THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Crayon Smell

05-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Crayon Smell

I know this is a known issue across many bmws, but its particularly offensive in my e84 x1 35i. The car is a 2014 and stinks of crayons most of the time, where my 135i from 2010 has 0 smell like that.

From my research its a sound deadening material most likely and other platforms have had success replacing panels under the dash, the panels are cheap but the work is pretty involved. Does anyone have any insight on which part it is on our car that is causing the issue? Anyone else dealing with this? I'd happily pay to have someone replace the part, but it could be a lot of money to have someone try to determine which part it actually is.

I know I can't be the only one.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #2
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
I know this is a known issue across many bmws, but its particularly offensive in my e84 x1 35i. The car is a 2014 and stinks of crayons most of the time, where my 135i from 2010 has 0 smell like that.

From my research its a sound deadening material most likely and other platforms have had success replacing panels under the dash, the panels are cheap but the work is pretty involved. Does anyone have any insight on which part it is on our car that is causing the issue? Anyone else dealing with this? I'd happily pay to have someone replace the part, but it could be a lot of money to have someone try to determine which part it actually is.

I know I can't be the only one.
Early 2000s VWs featured this smell very prominently. Iirc they use a paraffin to seal the body against corrosion.

Personally I haven't smelled anything like this on my 09 e92.

Last edited by Shredicus; 06-02-2022 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I believe it is the sound deadening pad up against the firewall. It gets installed before the dash, at the factory. So taking it out will be a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
I believe it is the sound deadening pad up against the firewall. It gets installed before the dash, at the factory. So taking it out will be a PITA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
I'm so deep into replacing stuff on this car that has a fcp euro warranty on half of it, because of miles it's worth so little, I feel like I have to in order to keep driving it until it turns into dust. I actually really like the car still especially with the mods so I'm willing to do that to fix this stank.
Appreciate 0