THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Is the Clutch Delay Valve ruining my clutch

05-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #1
morriscat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Is the Clutch Delay Valve ruining my clutch

I have a 2016 228i 6MT and I'm having a recurring problem with the clutch and since the Dealership can't (or won't) help, I'm hoping maybe you guys can.

Here's the deal. I've been driving stick for thirty years, I've put 100k+ on more than one manual car and I have NEVER had a clutch burn out on me. I don't track it. I don't launch it. I don't ride the clutch. Almost all of my driving is highway, and YET, I've had two clutch failures in 18 months.

The car came to me with 16k miles on it. The first clutch failure happened at 25k, I took it to the dealership and their response was basically "Loln00b, lrn2stick" and then they charged me five grand for a new clutch and a new DMF.

Here we are 18 months and 15k miles later and it's failed AGAIN, exactly the same way. I took it back to the same dealership for two reasons: First I was hoping that they might actually believe me that there's an underlying issue instead of just taking the easy route of "well the previous owner must have burned it all up before you got it", and the DMF at the very least has a two year warranty so they can't soak me for THAT again.

But they still can't tell me what's burning the clutch up, other than the standard "Are you SURE you don't rest your foot on the clutch when you're driving?". Which, I mean... who does that? Nobody. Nobody does that.

So the only lead I have to permanently solve the problem is a number of other BMW owners who have pointed at the Clutch Delay Valve as the potential problem and have told me that it's adding a lot of extra slip and that's what's burning my clutch, especially if it's not working like it should.

So, do you agree? Is there something ELSE mechanical that could cause it? Is there something I could be doing when I shift that would burn a BMW clutch but not an Acura or a Toyota? I feel like my car is gaslighting me and It's really messing with my head.
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      05-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

You are very correct in assuming the delay valve may be excessively slipping the clutch and these two images may shed some light as to why it is so. One is my oem slave cylinder and, while not the best image, you can see the extremely restricted opening the oil must travel through.

The drop in e90 slave cylinder has no such restriction and engages or disengages it at a much more aggressive rate. You slip it as much or as little as you want.

I believe this is why so many people have issues when rolling from dead stop to first fumbling with inconsistent clutch engagement points, amongst other things.

I have 58k on my stock clutch/flywheel and I did the noted cdv mod since 30k. I will say it is a very useful mod to thoroughly modulate the clutch as per your liking. As the same time, you remove the possibility of extra, unintentional, slipping because you can engage or disengage so much quicker.

Here is the link for the delay valve mod in case you are interested.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666477
Attached Images

08-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #3
Sharpie36
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 228i 6MT slicktop

I don't think I need to say much here. This is what ALL your clutch fluid is attempting to move through lol. Pick it out and love your car again

Appreciate 0