THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Fault code, 180001

12-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
f22cameron
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Stage 2 228i 6mt

Fault code, 180001

I may sound like an idiot asking this but I switched over from a catless downpipe to a high flow Downpipe after having some issues with the law. After a day or so of driving I’ve gotten this code claiming that the catalytic converter is performing below threshold. I did not replace the o2 sensors when I swapped it which I should have considering they were very black, and burble kills o2 sensors pretty quickly. I also went from a tune that was clearing o2 codes to a tune that doesn’t so I would assume that my o2 sensors are dead??

Any thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Sneekypete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 230i

Garage List
2017 230ix  [0.00]
I had/have the same code thrown. I also have a high flow downpipe which replaced stock. Never had burbles so cant speak to that. Did you install yourself? I would also be curious to know who manufactured yours. Mine will be replaced under warranty - by a shop who is also a distributer. I can provide an update once complete. At present I am periodically clearing the code myself - tends to stay off for extended periods after but does come back. Every. Time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
f22cameron
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Stage 2 228i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I had/have the same code thrown. I also have a high flow downpipe which replaced stock. Never had burbles so cant speak to that. Did you install yourself? I would also be curious to know who manufactured yours. Mine will be replaced under warranty - by a shop who is also a distributer. I can provide an update once complete. At present I am periodically clearing the code myself - tends to stay off for extended periods after but does come back. Every. Time.
My Downpipe is the turner motorsports made one, I did install it myself. I cleared mine last night and it hasn’t come back on yet, I’m waiting to see if it come back on to address it, given that it hasn’t affected the way my car is running at all. Lemme know if it makes any difference getting his replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I think you can't get get rid of that code. It is triggered because the air is not as clean as what the 1000 cel factory cat would produce and it compares the value it reads to a value that means "good working factory cat". Seeing as the air is dirtier, it triggers a a CEL because it thinks the cat is broken.

I think the only way to do it is either find a way to edit that threshold value or just disable the monitor as everyone does on catless. You could also try a O2 spacer, there are some that even have a small cat in them, it might help, it might not.

After clearing the code, it will be triggered again after running for a preset number of km at a high speed, I don't remember exactly the numbers, but it was something like 30 minutes at 100+ km/h. I is rarely triggered in city driving because the car usually never gets to optimal temps, due to short drives / low engine load.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0