THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

05-23-2022, 09:06 AM   #5875
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Just out of curiosity and because some movies or TV shows are triggering my question... If some cops are appearing to a person with drawn guns aiming at it and told them to lie down with face down and the person refuse it and is obviously unarmed; do you guys are really shot the person down or do you use a taser instead to a temp disable or what other options except of lethal force?
We don't just go around shooting people. If the person isn't armed we would use a less lethal munition (…40mm projectile, pepper ball, bean bag shotgun round, etc.). If the person is armed with a firearm then we stay the course and hope he/she doesn't raise that firearm in anybody's direction. At some point compliance is necessary, but often the person ends up shot because they point the firearm at someone.
Appreciate 4
///d1807.00
Dang3r12503.00
      05-23-2022, 09:17 AM   #5876
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We don't just go around shooting people. If the person isn't armed we would use a less lethal munition (…40mm projectile, pepper ball, bean bag shotgun round, etc.). If the person is armed with a firearm then we stay the course and hope he/she doesn't raise that firearm in anybody's direction. At some point compliance is necessary, but often the person ends up shot because they point the firearm at someone.
The gun point arrest dilemma. Canada has less firearms on the street than the US, however we do come across them. We would often get criticism for gun point arrests of people that weren't armed or didn't appear to be armed. The problem is if you have your firearm out and on target you have the advantage. Action is quicker than reaction. I've gun pointed people and they just run....that sucks, certainly less lethal options fill the gap, I wish we had more of them when I was on the road. Every time we drew our pistol we were required to fill out a Use of Force report, not the end of the world but a pain in the ass and came about as a result of complaints that we did it too often.

Retirement is good.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan24829.00
Buug95916844.00
paquet629.50
scostu1619.50
Dang3r12503.00
Dino GT35121.00
      05-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #5877
Jklotz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
To me, the scary part of that (other than the obvious) is you have a split second to make that decision. And it had better be the right one or your career is over. Plus the people you are dealing with are most likely high on God knows what, and I'd imagine highly unpredictable. Glad you guys are out dealing with that so the rest of us don't have to.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24829.00
paquet629.50
      05-23-2022, 09:53 AM   #5878
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz View Post
Quote:
To me, the scary part of that (other than the obvious) is you have a split second to make that decision. And it had better be the right one or your career is over. Plus the people you are dealing with are most likely high on God knows what, and I'd imagine highly unpredictable. Glad you guys are out dealing with that so the rest of us don't have to.
…and that is why community support is so critical. Everything seems easy & simple in hindsight (….and with CCTV footage played at a snail's pace), but in the moment you have milliseconds to make a decision. The time it requires to blink your eyes once is about all the time you have.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
scostu1619.50
      05-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #5879
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
We've got 3 - 4 shootings a week here (lot's of gunplay), insane lawlessness, a constant parade of dodge chargers with no muffler blaring rap, car jackings, etc, but jeez, a government mandated junkie free for all zone? Man, that is crazy!
Sounds like Houston lol

Seriously, there's a task force out trying to police the youTuber's around here shutting down intersections to film donuts at 2 am. But from my balcony on the corner of Montrose and Midtown I can hear them going at it all night. That is one thing that's changed, when I was a yut we tried to avoid drawing police attention when we were hooning around town.
      05-24-2022, 04:37 AM   #5880
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Just to clear this up: I'd written intentionally unarmed, because I wanted to know your reactions, a possible hidden or just pulled weapon is triggering some certain action with no doubt
Thinking about a situation where an unarmed foreigner got yelled by the cops to lay down for some reasons and shouting back to get the reason why and refuse this has a very small comedy into it.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 05:39 AM   #5881
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Just to clear this up: I'd written intentionally unarmed, because I wanted to know your reactions, a possible hidden or just pulled weapon is triggering some certain action with no doubt
Thinking about a situation where an unarmed foreigner got yelled by the cops to lay down for some reasons and shouting back to get the reason why and refuse this has a very small comedy into it.
I was working in downtown Toronto in the early 2000's and got a call for a man with a gun on Yonge St. near Gould, I was right there and don't we see the suspect running on the sidewalk, I pulled the Scout Car right up on the sidewalk and my partner and I got out and were making a gun point arrest, lights on, other officers responding lights and sirens, lots of noise etc. This was early afternoon on a sunny warm weekday. I kid you not a couple of tourists walk right down the sidewalk directly between us and the suspect, we are just getting ready to approach him, yelling commands at him and this couple just stands right in the middle of it. People do the strangest things. It's also not uncommon in Canada for people to ask why your pointing guns at them and then there is also every single "citizen journalist" who will get right in the middle to film with their phone.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614906.00
Dang3r12503.00
Dino GT35121.00
      05-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #5882
Jklotz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I was working in downtown Toronto in the early 2000's and got a call for a man with a gun on Yonge St. near Gould, I was right there and don't we see the suspect running on the sidewalk, I pulled the Scout Car right up on the sidewalk and my partner and I got out and were making a gun point arrest, lights on, other officers responding lights and sirens, lots of noise etc. This was early afternoon on a sunny warm weekday. I kid you not a couple of tourists walk right down the sidewalk directly between us and the suspect, we are just getting ready to approach him, yelling commands at him and this couple just stands right in the middle of it. People do the strangest things. It's also not uncommon in Canada for people to ask why your pointing guns at them and then there is also every single "citizen journalist" who will get right in the middle to film with their phone.
Maybe they didn't believe in Darwinism and wanted to test the theory?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 07:01 AM   #5883
Jklotz
Private
Rep

What percentage of altercations that you deal with would you say involves alcohol or drugs in some way?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      05-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #5884
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
What percentage of altercations that you deal with would you say involves alcohol or drugs in some way?
Easily half…..!!!! Drugs - usually methamphetamine - and alcohol are often a factor in violent altercations.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614906.00
      05-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #5885
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Easily half…..!!!! Drugs - usually methamphetamine - and alcohol are often a factor in violent altercations.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that my never using meth or drinking beyond "I'm fun" status is why I've never been arrested. LOL

BTW, I have a very good golf buddy who is in his 70s. 6'5" and still fit as hell. I am not small and I would not want him mad. He told me once if I ever see him take a drink - run. Last time he had a drink was in his 20s. He woke up in a cell with police very angry with him. Seems he resisted arrest and hurt a few of them in the process. He decided he would probably die very young if he continued drinking.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      05-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #5886
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that my never using meth or drinking beyond "I'm fun" status is why I've never been arrested. LOL

BTW, I have a very good golf buddy who is in his 70s. 6'5" and still fit as hell. I am not small and I would not want him mad. He told me once if I ever see him take a drink - run. Last time he had a drink was in his 20s. He woke up in a cell with police very angry with him. Seems he resisted arrest and hurt a few of them in the process. He decided he would probably die very young if he continued drinking.
Haha! Definitely stay away……especially since most methamphetamine is now cut with fentanyl. Dangerous stuff!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #5887
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha! Definitely stay away……especially since most methamphetamine is now cut with fentanyl. Dangerous stuff!!!
If they're cutting meth with fentanyl, it must be cheap, yes? Doesn't make sense because we know it's a powerful drug.
      05-24-2022, 02:32 PM   #5888
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If they're cutting meth with fentanyl, it must be cheap, yes? Doesn't make sense because we know it's a powerful drug.
They cut it with fentanyl to ensure the user is hooked after only one use.
Appreciate 2
Esteban42239.50
      05-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #5889
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess then that fentanyl is highly addictive.
      05-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #5890
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Dangerously addictive. Crazy addictive.
Appreciate 2
Esteban42239.50
      05-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #5891
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dangerously addictive. Crazy addictive.
Knew it was powerful, didn't know it was addictive.
      05-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #5892
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Do cops actually take it personally if you pass them on the freeway doing 5-10 over the speed limit or on just a regular road?

I know you're generally allowed to speed 10 mph over the limit which is why I'm asking
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #5893
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Do cops actually take it personally if you pass them on the freeway doing 5-10 over the speed limit or on just a regular road?

I know you're generally allowed to speed 10 mph over the limit which is why I'm asking
Naw. Most of us don't care. Our intent is not to slow down the reasonable flow of traffic, that's why you'll often observe us exit the freeway only to get right back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #5894
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

None that I've ever passed seemed to have taken it personally enough to light me up so they could personally express that sentiment.

The odd times, they've been sitting on the side of the road and well tucked in so that I don't see them in time and wind up zipping past them at pretty close to the speed I was doing before I saw them, and even at 30 km/h above the speed limit none of them have moved which I've appreciated.

I think you generally have to be displaying really arrogant / careless behaviour unless they are low on their quota that day. Just based on my experience anyways - most interactions have been positive, even when I've received a ticket for my many sins.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      05-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #5895
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Naw. Most of us don't care. Our intent is not to slow down the reasonable flow of traffic, that's why you'll often observe us exit the freeway only to get right back on.
That's what I figured. I always pass cops that are driving the speed limit doing a reasonable speed. Never had an issue.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      05-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #5896
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Another one for your entertainment...

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCar...nto_the_ditch/
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00