THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Best way to lose weight?

03-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #419
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

People gain weight, and consequently get unhealthy for 4 major reasons.

1. They eat/drink too much (volume)
2. Of the wrong things
3. At the wrong time
4. They don't exercise properly

This is one of those things where, if you want to lose weight all you have to do is the exact opposite.

Don't eat enough of the right things, at the right time, and exercise properly.

Restrict your eating window to 5 hours, with you circadian rhythm (never eat until you'll fully awake, and never eat when your body is winding down).

Do a 15- minute workout every single day, and make sure to include weight training in that, but don't over do it, NEVER be sore.

No overt sweets.

Very little bread.

Cut out all the preservatives you can (they lodge themselves in your fat cells and won't let the fat go).

And most importantly, find something that can motivate you in the tough times because you're going to need it.

Oh yeah, alcohol is a POISON, stop doing that. And if you're smoking, stop doing that.

First meal of the day should be at about 2 PM, a banana and nuts. Some snacks before dinner before 7 should include greens, carrots, peppers, etc.

Make sure to get your fiber, and drink PLENTY of water. In fact, don't drink anything except water and pure orange juice (or pure juice of your choice).

Last meal of the day can be a standard meal, no need to make it super good for you, but it can't be fast food.

That should about cover it.

If you're already a healthy weight and have healthy habits then you're not reading this, so forget you .

If you're an unhealthy weight and have bad habits, quitting those and doing the things I've mentioned should net you 10-15 lbs a month weight loss, safely, depending on your current weight.

I personally lost 41 lbs in 3.5 months doing just what I have written above.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 08:50 PM   #420
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Interesting point above, conditioning the advice on being unhealthy. Meaning to say that healthy people need not heed the advice.

Is this the correct understanding @////MPhatic, that the regimen proposed is principally aimed toward unhealthy people?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:21 AM   #421
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Different strokes for different folks,the post above just proves there's no single "best way" to lose weight.
I eat 7-8 small meals a day(500-600cals ea),starting at 3am when I get up to hit the gym and it's definitely not a banana and nuts lol. I ramp up the cardio when I need to shed some bodyfat. Consistently drop 1.5-2lbs per week this way and have been doing it this way since '92.
Keep your mind open to new ideas,there's always something to learn and with that being said,find what works best for you through trial and error. YMMV
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #422
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Interesting point above, conditioning the advice on being unhealthy. Meaning to say that healthy people need not heed the advice.

Is this the correct understanding @////MPhatic, that the regimen proposed is principally aimed toward unhealthy people?
If you're healthy, eat healthy, and within an 8-hour window (with your circadian rhythm), then you're good.

What I wrote above is basically outlining that it's not one thing people do to get unhealthy/overweight, it's a combination. All you really have to do is flip that combination 180° to fix it. There are tricks, of course, like as few preservatives as possible, and exactly what you eat before and after a workout to build muscle, or exactly what to eat to maintain muscle mass while losing weight, but those are the highlights.

But yes, it's aimed towards people who are overweight and those people are generally unhealthy, even if they don't know it.

If you live life naturally, you'll have a natural life curve. To have a longer, healthier, unnatural life curve you'll have to do unnatural things, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 08:31 AM   #423
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

burn more calories than your BMR
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #424
Mellor@22
Banned
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic, Suzuki Alto

Do not skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast will not help you lose weight. ...
Eat regular meals. ...
Eat plenty of fruit and veg. ...
Get more active. ...
Drink plenty of water. ...
Eat high fibre foods. ...
Read food labels. ...
Use a smaller plate.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
      04-04-2022, 12:52 PM   #425
fnaf
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza, Toyota RAV4

Your workout routine and calorie tracking are pretty good. However, 2 weeks may not be enough to show you a visible result. Be persistent and do regular calorie monitoring (note: calories consumed must always be less than calories consumed for you to lose weight)

five nights at freddy's
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-04-2022, 02:28 PM   #426
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

just for fun - the litteral answers to this posts topic

Don`t eat

You`ll lose a shit ton

This is a joke but does highlight the calories in vs out argument - that I happen to agree with.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
      04-09-2022, 01:52 AM   #427
Savescuu
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Garage List
2016 BMW F31  [9.50]
Agree with Mellor@22
I lost till now 5 Kgs in 2 months (maybe not much for others but also gained muscle) by making 30-60 min exercise per day (Gym and jogging), no eating after 18:00 .Not an easy task unfortunately .

Good luck and take care !
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
Murf884.50
      04-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #428
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
As a mental game, think about your target weight at an age in the future, say 20 years from now.

Convert the weight difference between your 20 year weight goal and today’s weight into an annual weight loss target. Unless you are morbidly obese today, the annual weight loss is probably small and very achievable.

Speed of weight loss matters less than the weight loss itself, again with the provision that you are not presently morbidly obese.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #429
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have always yo-yo'd with my weight my entire life. I'm 5'8 and at one point 20yrs ago I weighed 240. I was a fat fuck. I was able to get down to 200 easily, but still overweight and then got Type2 diabetes. Four and a half years ago I worked with a weight loss doctor, using HCG, and lost 42lbs. However I was miserable and he stopped the HCG after three weeks. I got down to 168lbs and stayed there until covid. I was forced to stay home for three months and started all of my bad eating habits again and gained 20lbs in six months. This past December my A1C was at 10.4 and I was going to need to get on insulin so I had to make immediate changes. I started on the Optavia 5&1 and I'm now down to 168lbs again and feel great. My A1c is now 6.8 and I stopped two of my medications. I like eating the "fuelings" every two hours, and my one home meal is healthy and filling. I'm starting on the next stage which is two meals and four fuelings during the day.

The amazing thing is I'm not hungry on an 800-1000cal/day diet. I drink approx 100oz of water a day too. It's not a carb free diet either. I've tried Keto and I feel like crap.

I don't exercise, but I will start walking and bike riding once I increase my calorie intake to around 2000-2200/day when I'm eating three full meals.

The key to success is making the right decisions when you feel like snacking. Instead of eating some of my kids junk food, I'll measure out two to three ounces of chicken breast and eat that with some romaine lettuce. It's filling, has protein, and I'll burn it off it my sleep.
overcoil3068.50
      04-13-2022, 09:36 PM   #430
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm starting to think it's all bs and "skinny" people either just don't eat at all and lie about it or they are npc's in this matrix.

I did low carb with IF and lost around 15 lbs then stopped losing. I did feel better so I kept going regardless, nothing. I then decided to cut out lunch, so my first meal was around 1pm and it was breakfast, always the same thing, 2 eggs, sometimes with ham or mushrooms and some turkey bacon. Then I would eat dinner typically before 8pm and usually protein (chicken, steak, pork) with veggies. I was also hiking 1.5-2 miles maybe every other day and working outside cutting wood, trimming stuff most of the day most days. I did this for maybe a month or two... did not lose a single pound. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make any sense how I can go from that to not doing any exercise, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner, eating whatever I want (including a ton of rice), typically having seconds and the difference is 15lbs????

I still try to be low carb as it does seem to help me a lot with inflammation, but weight loss, that shit's fake news!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #431
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm starting to think it's all bs and "skinny" people either just don't eat at all and lie about it or they are npc's in this matrix.

I did low carb with IF and lost around 15 lbs then stopped losing. I did feel better so I kept going regardless, nothing. I then decided to cut out lunch, so my first meal was around 1pm and it was breakfast, always the same thing, 2 eggs, sometimes with ham or mushrooms and some turkey bacon. Then I would eat dinner typically before 8pm and usually protein (chicken, steak, pork) with veggies. I was also hiking 1.5-2 miles maybe every other day and working outside cutting wood, trimming stuff most of the day most days. I did this for maybe a month or two... did not lose a single pound. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make any sense how I can go from that to not doing any exercise, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner, eating whatever I want (including a ton of rice), typically having seconds and the difference is 15lbs????

I still try to be low carb as it does seem to help me a lot with inflammation, but weight loss, that shit's fake news!
Haven't been following the previous post.
Anyway, don't you think if you've been doing intermittent fasting your body may be conserving fat / mass to maintain the balances it has become accustomed to ?

What would you guess the length of time it takes for a change in diet or eating habits to show long term results ? six-months or six-years ?

Finally, does anyone really know what kind of diet works ? Or what constitutes an ideal diet ?

Anyway, keep trying new things. Keep experimenting with foods and exercise. And don't take as fact any one thing concerning diet and exercise and rely on your intuition and assess your wellbeing. Individuals can accomplish remarkable results.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 06:26 PM   #432
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Anyway, don't you think if you've been doing intermittent fasting your body may be conserving fat / mass to maintain the balances it has become accustomed to ?

What would you guess the length of time it takes for a change in diet or eating habits to show long term results ? six-months or six-years ?

Finally, does anyone really know what kind of diet works ? Or what constitutes an ideal diet ?

Anyway, keep trying new things. Keep experimenting with foods and exercise. And don't take as fact any one thing concerning diet and exercise and rely on your intuition and assess your wellbeing. Individuals can accomplish remarkable results.
I have no idea. It doesn't help that if you ask 10 people how to lose weight you will get 10 different answers. I have done just low carb without IF and had similar results. I lose 10-15 lbs and then stop losing. When I don't do "anything" and eat whatever I tend to stay around 260-270 and then no matter what I seem to do I drop down to around 250 and stop losing. I understand one can stall and many times I might go a week or two where I don't lose anything then drop several pounds the week after, however once I hit 250 that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

I was mainly trying the IF for joint pain relief as I have also heard that helps and I think it did help with that, but didn't do much for weight loss over just low carb. I have also done calorie counting. At my heaviest I almost got to 300 lbs and started counting calories. It was miserable but I dropped down to high 240s (lowest I can recall being) and have not gone back up to close to 300 since (that was probably a decade ago).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 05:42 AM   #433
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post

I have no idea. It doesn't help that if you ask 10 people how to lose weight you will get 10 different answers. I have done just low carb without IF and had similar results. I lose 10-15 lbs and then stop losing. When I don't do "anything" and eat whatever I tend to stay around 260-270 and then no matter what I seem to do I drop down to around 250 and stop losing. I understand one can stall and many times I might go a week or two where I don't lose anything then drop several pounds the week after, however once I hit 250 that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

I was mainly trying the IF for joint pain relief as I have also heard that helps and I think it did help with that, but didn't do much for weight loss over just low carb. I have also done calorie counting. At my heaviest I almost got to 300 lbs and started counting calories. It was miserable but I dropped down to high 240s (lowest I can recall being) and have not gone back up to close to 300 since (that was probably a decade ago).
Try a workout program focused on strength rather than weight loss. Obviously maintain eating relatively healthy, but just throwing that out there. Don't focus on the weight, focus on getting stronger. More muscle the more fat you'll burn.

Not sure if you have already tried this, but it's a longer road. Once that muscle mass is built, it helps keep the weight off. Sounds like your metabolism is becoming stagnant. You need a spark to get shit going.

Just an idea.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2022, 07:08 AM   #434
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Muscle burns fat as pointed out by JP.

Grab an apple the next time you're hungry (snack), and have a healthy morning smoothie with organic fruits and an veggies and protein powder.

Drink Green Tea > coffee

Jump starting your metabolism is like stoking a fire - you've gotta figure out what works for your body. For me it's squats, sit-ups, pull-ups and other isometrics currently, eating healthy daily, lots of water, all organic.

Building muscle works better than cardio - but cardio is great for warming up or once a week - or some high knees throughout your workout to keep the fire burning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #435
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
For males try a diet around 2400 calories per day, plus or minus a bit to adjust for age and height. Don’t guess, count the calories out. Be disciplined.

There are online calorie intake guides. 2400 calories is simply one data point.

To verify where you are today, diet-wise, count all of your calories. Be disciplined. Include sweet drinks (soda, Gatorade, coffee with sweetener) and alcohol.

And exercise “a bit”. Do something small every day. Be disciplined.

Losing weight and maintaining weight requires discipline. There is no alternative.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 03:33 AM   #436
aguywalksintoabar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's a slow one but helped me shed a few pounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #437
ruslanharanin
Ruslan Haranin
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (E46)

Every morning I do the Surya Namaskara yoga complex. It helps a lot to maintain shape and weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #438
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

My take/story is that it's very simple but very hard to do consistently (and that is the key word) before the late unpleasantness, I'd trained for 30 years and whilst I'd never been "Instagram lean" or anywhere near it I'd always been in OK shape around 20% fat maybe 15% some years but let's call it 20% @ 190lbs and 5.11- 6ft (depending on the thickness of my socks).

During the pandemic I got into some real bad habits, stopped all training and started on the rich food and booze ended up putting on 30lb of fat and losing a load of muscle I was in an utter state inside and out, I have a narrow frame and am not built to weigh that.

14 months ago I started to exercise again went back to my old diet and cut the booze by 70% (but this time I calorie counted everything) the goal was to be in a 500cal deficit a day = 3500 a week = 1lb of weight lost per week (aiming/hoping for that to be fat).

I went back to the weight gym and then walked everyday 4 miles (I hate cardio running/rowing etc..) but this walking was really effective because I did it (that is very much the key) no point in creating a program you won't do, the most important thing is consistency and actually moving.

I did this for 6 months and saw real changes I lost around 20lb and my muscle/strength (such as it was) was coming back, but I'd learnt some bad habits during the lockdowns and they re surfaced after 6 months the nights drew in and it was colder so I slipped back and for 5 months I went backwards and put back on 10lbs. For the last 3 months I've been back at it and lost half of that 10lbs again and I vow not to repeat it again, I still have a ways to go to get back to a pre pandemic situation.

So back to where I came in it's a very simple equation to write down but a very difficult one to actually stick to.

Forget fads or trying to optimise muscle gains or losses with this or that (for most of us that's like a learner driver trying understand how to go through eau rouge flat out in an F1 car it's not going to happen) it adds complexity when you need simplicity to stick at it.

Eat less, Eat nutrient dense foods, move more and train harder than last time and drink less alcohol.... consistently.
      05-13-2022, 06:06 AM   #439
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
My take/story is that it's very simple but very hard to do consistently (and that is the key word) before the late unpleasantness, I'd trained for 30 years and whilst I'd never been "Instagram lean" or anywhere near it I'd always been in OK shape around 20% fat maybe 15% some years but let's call it 20% @ 190lbs and 5.11- 6ft (depending on the thickness of my socks).

During the pandemic I got into some real bad habits, stopped all training and started on the rich food and booze ended up putting on 30lb of fat and losing a load of muscle I was in an utter state inside and out, I have a narrow frame and am not built to weigh that.

14 months ago I started to exercise again went back to my old diet and cut the booze by 70% (but this time I calorie counted everything) the goal was to be in a 500cal deficit a day = 3500 a week = 1lb of weight lost per week (aiming/hoping for that to be fat).

I went back to the weight gym and then walked everyday 4 miles (I hate cardio running/rowing etc..) but this walking was really effective because I did it (that is very much the key) no point in creating a program you won't do, the most important thing is consistency and actually moving.

I did this for 6 months and saw real changes I lost around 20lb and my muscle/strength (such as it was) was coming back, but I'd learnt some bad habits during the lockdowns and they re surfaced after 6 months the nights drew in and it was colder so I slipped back and for 5 months I went backwards and put back on 10lbs. For the last 3 months I've been back at it and lost half of that 10lbs again and I vow not to repeat it again, I still have a ways to go to get back to a pre pandemic situation.

So back to where I came in it's a very simple equation to write down but a very difficult one to actually stick to.

Forget fads or trying to optimise muscle gains or losses with this or that (for most of us that's like a learner driver trying understand how to go through eau rouge flat out in an F1 car it's not going to happen) it adds complexity when you need simplicity to stick at it.

Eat less, Eat nutrient dense foods, move more and train harder than last time and drink less alcohol.... consistently.
Great post, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #440
MrM422
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

1. Calorie controlled diet (make sure you're in a calorie deficit every day)
2. Eat foods you enjoy but that are high in nutrients (80% whole foods, 20% "bad foods")
3. Lifts weights
4. Add cardio gradually to increase the deficit.
5. Try keep everything you're doing consistent.
6. Assess progress every 1-2 weeks and make adjustments if needed.

If you have like 40lbs+ to lose id recommend taking a diet break every 3 months, maintain and acclimatize to your new weight, reset hormones and mentally.

Then repeat for however long necessary.

The most important factor being sustainability.. if it's too hard you will give up/rebound eventually.
Appreciate 2
DocL1922.50
chassis6373.50