THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions VIDEO GUIDE - Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam - NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF

04-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

VIDEO GUIDE - Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam - NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF

Installing a dashcam can seem rather daunting, but it's actually a relatively straight forward DIY project if you take your time.

Modern cars, especially European cars have features which monitor battery load when the car is off and can either cut power, or throw error messages when a dashcam is hard wired in parking mode, in this video I'll show you how to work around this.

You'll also learn how to conceal all the wiring neatly so nothing is visible inside the cabin.

The car in the video is a BMW M240i, but the process is the same for all current BMWs.

Appreciate 8
      04-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Great DIY video man! Thanks!
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

You're welcome. I appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

exactly how i hide the wires in the front for my radar detector and cig lighter based dashcam.

Feeling the DnB tunes as well.

Great video!
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Good stuff! Did you tap in to Fuse 147 for your radar detector?

Thanks for the feedback! Always a risk putting music in becasue some people hate it. But on the whole it increases watch time for my logner videos like this one.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
dansu
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Nice video. With the way you routed the wire down the A-pillar, is there a risk of the wire interfering with the airbag?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Autos View Post
Good stuff! Did you tap in to Fuse 147 for your radar detector?

Thanks for the feedback! Always a risk putting music in becasue some people hate it. But on the whole it increases watch time for my logner videos like this one.

no. nothing is permanent. I have a dual cig lighter plug with 2 usb port hub routed from glove box to the main cig lighter by cup holder. i than plug everything into this hub in the glove box and hide the wires the same as you.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Ahh ok. Nothing is permanent in my method either. No factory wires cut and the whole thing can be unplugged in about 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Thanks from me too, I was just about to start researching this.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Glad it helped
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Installing a dashcam can seem rather daunting, but it's actually a relatively straight forward DIY project if you take your time.

Modern cars, especially European cars have features which monitor battery load when the car is off and can either cut power, or throw error messages when a dashcam is hard wired in parking mode, in this video I'll show you how to work around this.

You'll also learn how to conceal all the wiring neatly so nothing is visible inside the cabin.

The car in the video is a BMW M240i, but the process is the same for all current BMWs.

Great video... appreciate the post & DIY as this is a mod I've been wanting to do. But all of that tucking in & around the rear seat - the rear seat pops right out, like WAY easy. Just lift up on the front of the bench, no tools needed, and it will pop right off. Then tilt up, pull forward, take it out your driver's side door. Takes <2 mins.

You'll have a lot of easier access to run your wires, tuck them behind the plastic panels & carpeting, and never worry about them popping out or getting crushed.

No criticism of the OP/DIY video meant - just an observation & little tip for anyone looking to do this mod, or any other mod where you need to run wires from the cabin to the trunk.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 05-06-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
Great video... appreciate the post & DIY as this is a mod I've been wanting to do. But all of that tucking in & around the rear seat - the rear seat pops right out, like WAY easy. Just lift up on the front of the bench, no tools needed, and it will pop right off. Then tilt up, pull forward, take it out your driver's side door. Takes <2 mins.

You'll have a lot of easier access to run your wires, tuck them behind the plastic panels & carpeting, and never worry about them popping out or getting crushed.

No criticism of the OP/DIY video meant - just an observation & little tip for anyone looking to do this mod, or any other mod where you need to run wires from the cabin to the trunk.
Thanks for the tip (guy in the video is me).

The reason I didn't go about removing the seat is because being a brand new car I didn't want to risk introducing any rattles. So I tried to install in the most minimal way possible whilst still achieving fully concealed wiring.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #13
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Thanks for the tip (guy in the video is me).

The reason I didn't go about removing the seat is because being a brand new car I didn't want to risk introducing any rattles. So I tried to install in the most minimal way possible whilst still achieving fully concealed wiring.
Don't worry about rattling - it mounts very solidly!!
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
OrangePeanut
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i BSM

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Thanks for the very detailed video!

Stupid question - the fuse you tapped into (radio), is that an always on power? Wondering if I turn on impact detection while the car is off if the cam is able to power on.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePeanut View Post
Thanks for the very detailed video!

Stupid question - the fuse you tapped into (radio), is that an always on power? Wondering if I turn on impact detection while the car is off if the cam is able to power on.
The fuse I tapped is accessories power to the radio. Always on power is connected directly to the battery for parking mode. When accessories power is lost, the camera switches to parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Great vid and DIY!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #17
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

So I’ve followed this guide and wired my fuse tap to the same location, but my dash cam immediately turns off when I turn the engine off. When the car is on, both my front and rear cameras are operating normally.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I’ve attached photos below of my wiring.

This is the fusetap kit I used to wire my dash cam:

15ft MicroUSB & MiniUSB Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Mini/LP Mini/ATO/Micro2 Fuse, Micro to Mini (Left/Right Angled) and Type-C Port Adapters and Battery Drain Protection System (2 Sets) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7N5LRJ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #18
M_Mahal
Rep
Drives: M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
SoI’ve followed this guide and wired my fuse tap to the same location, but my dash cam immediately turns off when I turn the engine off. When the car is on, both my front and rear cameras are operating normally.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I’ve attached photos below of my wiring.
This video (8.8min mark) shows similarity to your problem but during the turning on which is the opposite https://youtu.be/cFoxS8zLUrc. But the troubleshooting method used could be useful.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 05:09 PM   #19
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
So I’ve followed this guide and wired my fuse tap to the same location, but my dash cam immediately turns off when I turn the engine off. When the car is on, both my front and rear cameras are operating normally.

This is the fusetap kit I used to wire my dash cam:

15ft MicroUSB & MiniUSB Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Mini/LP Mini/ATO/Micro2 Fuse, Micro to Mini (Left/Right Angled) and Type-C Port Adapters and Battery Drain Protection System (2 Sets) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7N5LRJ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have a 3rd yellow wire connected directly to the battery as I had in the guide?

That's the wire that's responsible for the always-on power. Not all dashcams have this feature.
Appreciate 0