THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Bilstein B6 HD DampTronic Shock

03-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #23
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Springs dictate the ride height not shocks or struts. If you can push the rod down with your bare hands do you think your car will have troubles? Can you do the same with the springs? Not likely unless you're a gorilla.
Bilstein dampers has been known to increase ride height for many people including myself. Bilstein says it's due to the increased gas pressure and the newness of the parts. They also say it shouldn't but it does increase height as it did with my previous applications. Some guys even experienced this with lowering springs until some weeks or months has passed to give time to settle. Depending on your set up, you may not notice it. Suspension geometry changes is common with these installs. This is why an alignment may be necessary to help correct angels.

Anyone with some actual experience with the setup in question? If you experienced an increase in height, how long did it take for car to settle? My previous setup didn't seem to budge for nearly a year. By that time I was use to seeing it that way.

Can anyone comment on their personal experience with the dampers performance and handling on stock springs? I'd like to know what improved on the car and if you desired stiffer front springs to get rid of body roll even after the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #24
kewin
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
Hi all. I'm trying to determine some codes, and whether they relate to some fast idle rough running, and some low speed jerkiness.

I read the codes with Carly and the following faults are making me think they might be something: A3AD and A3AE.

As far as I know these are communication faults, not necessarily hardware failure.

BASE: E91
BUILD-YEAR: 2007
MODEL: 335 i alle/all (86)
<--------------------------->
Instrument cluster / Kombiinstrument:
- Fault: CAN signal fault engine
- Code: A3AD
- Fault: CAN signal fault engine idle
- Code: A3AE

I've logged some files with MHD and the data there seems to be all ok.
http://datazap.me/u/theador/log-1467...og=0&data=4-22
Hey
You ever get to the bottom of this issue. I think I may be having the same problem.

Thanks

U posted this in 2018 can you tell me how you resolved this
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #25
kewin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Bilstein dampers has been known to increase ride height for many people including myself. Bilstein says it's due to the increased gas pressure and the newness of the parts. They also say it shouldn't but it does increase height as it did with my previous applications. Some guys even experienced this with lowering springs until some weeks or months has passed to give time to settle. Depending on your set up, you may not notice it. Suspension geometry changes is common with these installs. This is why an alignment may be necessary to help correct angels.

Anyone with some actual experience with the setup in question? If you experienced an increase in height, how long did it take for car to settle? My previous setup didn't seem to budge for nearly a year. By that time I was use to seeing it that way.

Can anyone comment on their personal experience with the dampers performance and handling on stock springs? I'd like to know what improved on the car and if you desired stiffer front springs to get rid of body roll even after the dampers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
Hi all. I'm trying to determine some codes, and whether they relate to some fast idle rough running, and some low speed jerkiness.

I read the codes with Carly and the following faults are making me think they might be something: A3AD and A3AE.

As far as I know these are communication faults, not necessarily hardware failure.

BASE: E91
BUILD-YEAR: 2007
MODEL: 335 i alle/all (86)
Instrument cluster / Kombiinstrument:
- Fault: CAN signal fault engine
- Code: A3AD
- Fault: CAN signal fault engine idle
- Code: A3AE

I've logged some files with MHD and the data there seems to be all ok.
http://datazap.me/u/theador/log-1467...og=0&data=4-22
Hey
You ever get to the bottom of this issue. I think I may be having the same problem.

Thanks

U posted this in 2018 can you tell me how you resolved this
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #26
kewin
Rep

I have the same exact codes
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:31 AM   #27
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril6rod View Post
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...Drive-EDC.html

Hey guys just found this gem on the Bimmerworld website, I've been waiting on something like this for so long!! Does anyone here have past experience with the B6's? Would like to know if there is enough of a difference from OEM for me to retain EDC compatibility and go for these or go with something like a KW V2 and code out the EDC...

Thanks for any input!
An older thread, but wanted to post some feedback. I have a 2020 F22 230i RWD with track handling package, and after installing a set on our 2017 X1, I did the same for the 230i. I installed the Bilstein mono tube B6 set with EDC at 25,000. These offer a major improvement in multiple ways. First, there is no change in ride height. They need 500 miles to “ smooth out and settle in”. The ride is pleasantly enhanced and actually smoother than stock by eliminating small road irregularities. There’s much more stability and better control at freeway speeds. The steering feel, directness and turn in are much better, and cornering stability and grip are night and day. Over all the cars feel more “settled” and “planted”. Hope this is useful to someone. Links below to Bilstein set and mono vs twin tube design.
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...2-F3X-RWD.html,
https://www.penskeshocks.com/blog/mo...or-performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #28
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Yeah unfortunately these aren't monotube, they are twin tube. The passive B6 shocks are monotube however. Whats the comfort like over sharp bumps?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #29
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

Comfort (and control) is excellent over any and all road surfaces and irregularities.

Here’s a review that mirrors my experience.
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...zM4Ni42MC4wLjA.

I should add that prior to installing these Bilsteins, Id previously fitted Turner Motorsport solid aluminum rear sub frame bushings, and the 19mm Dinan rear anti roll bar.

Last edited by GoldenWest; 05-20-2023 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1