THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions F23 A-Pillar & Window Cap Trim Removal

02-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep
Drives: F23

F23 A-Pillar & Window Cap Trim Removal

Does anyone have experience doing this? I'm looking to route wires for a rear dashcam but don't know where to start in removing the subject parts. Any guides?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

You don't need to remove the a pillar cover to route wires. Just use a trim tool to open the gap between the cover and the glass. then shove the wire in the gap.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

The F23 has a thicker harder plastic with not enough give to tuck a wire under neither the windshield cap nor the pillar covers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Windshield with a trim tool to pry you can get a wire in there. A-pillar just pops off as you'd expect, start at the top. Not sure where you plan to mount a rear dashcam though.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

Are you saying to use the windshield as a pressure point for leverage? Couldn't this crack the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

I have an F23 (cabriolet). I purchased the FITCAMX front and rear dash cams. The front cam replaces the OEM mirror housing that covers the power wires and rain sensor. This unit is an OEM look. The front gets power from the existing rain sensor plug within the mirror housing. Plug it in, snap together and it's complete within 10 minutes or less.

If you want the rear camera added it needs to be plugged into the main mirror unit. The traditional "tuck the cable with the plastic tool" method doesn't work on the convertible as the plastic is much thicker and tightly secured. There is some flexibility to tuck a cable with the removal of a few screws and a really good grip. I want to add a note here as many suggested simply prying the cap with a plastic tool. I don't think it's a good idea to use the windshield as a pressure point for leverage. Being that close to an edge can easily crack a windshield and I'm surprised how many tutorials suggest doing so.

For anyone else struggling to tuck/run dash cam wires through the windshield cap and A-pillar, here is how I made it work. :

1. With the top down remove the single torx that is under the rubber on the top edge of the windshield cap passenger side.

2. Remove the two torx screws for the sun visor (you can probably loosen these about half way but I removed). There under the covers where the visor pivots.

If you removed the visor screws completely then there's no need to struggle with the plug. You can balance the visor on the windshield frame without putting tension on the wires.

3. Using a plastic pry tool, fold back the edge protection (door frame seal) and slide the tool under the A-pillar cover at just below where is seams to the cap. So like a couple down inches from the top of the cover. Then pry leveraging the tool towards the cabin and this cover will pop off without struggle. No need to take completely off. Just pop the top half out so there isn't pressure on the cap.

4. Now with the screws out and pillar cover half off you can grip the windshield cover and flex the gap open enough to tuck the cable. It is a bit tighter closer to the mirror but it will fit. A second pair of hands may be necessary to tuck while the other is twisting the cap.

5. The rest should be self explanatory if you have some common sense. Like all the rest I ran the cable in down to pillar then tucked under the door frame seal down to and under the threshold cover (I went back and removed this to tuck the cable under the carpet as I thought it was pushing the trim up but wasn't). You can keep tucking the wire with your fingers all the way to the back. They tuck into the rear seat and back cushion nicely. My seat fold down. So I just pushed and tucked the cable where deep into the sides.

6. I mounted the camera on the back of the rear headrest using a velcro strap. Cut a short piece to place under camera to keep from dropping down.

Here is a video link:
Attached Images

Last edited by HUGMEE; 04-16-2022 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Updating video and removing some text.
Appreciate 1
VAcurler116.00