THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hi-Fi Upgrade Options

04-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
ghtF30
Rep
Drives: 328xi, 228xi

Hi-Fi Upgrade Options

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2016 F22 with standard HiFi. I'm not an audiophile by any means but I'm pretty unimpressed with the system. With the windows down, it just seems like even at max volume the speakers just aren't very loud and the sound quality isn't that great either. I'd like to upgrade the system in the easiest most cost effective way possible. Again I'm not an audio snob so I'm not searching for perfection but a nice little bump in sound quality would be nice.

What's the best way to go about doing this? Can I just buy a set of upgraded door speakers or do I need to buy speakers for the rear as well? I've seen the Bavsound stage 1 kit but I'm not looking to spend that much. I'd also prefer not to have to buy new tweeter housings and while I'm comfortable taking the door panels off, I have no clue when it comes to audio wiring so I'd want something that bolts in without any modifications.

I came across these Focals which look nice because they bolt right in and have integrated tweeters. Could I just upgrade the door speakers with these and be happy with the results?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-JfgZlf...-BMW-100L.html

They're kinda pricey for 2 speakers but then I found them on ebay for less than half the price? Is this legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCAL-IC-BM...000484701#rwid

Again, I'm not an audiophile so if I could spend 2-300 bucks for a nice bump in sound quality, that would be great. But if its going to cost me a good buck for anything worthwhile, I'll probably live with the stock system. Keep in mind I've never had an aftermarket system so my expectations are probably not highest compared to some of you
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Check out this thread.. it's originally meant for the HK system but most things also apply to the hifi.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...236238&page=42

It's a long read (42 pages) but there is also a lot of good info.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
ghtF30
Rep

42 pages?

Thanks for the link though!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

If you want the most improvement for 2-300 bucks then address the biggest issue first - OEM amp. OEM speakers can be tweaked later with DSP to be made to sound better than they do now. The issue with the OEM amp is wattage and processing it has or lack thereof. But for only a 2-$300 budget getting an all-in-one solution to replace the amp with an aftermarket AMP/DSP unit is not on the table. Get a used 6-channel AMP (preferably JL Audio XD600/6) and a harness to bypass the OEM AMP wiring and to allow you to wire up the 6-channel AMP up to your OEM speakers then that's it. At this point, you are probably already over your $300 max budget but you may be happy with the sound at this point. If you're not happy with the sound still at that point then start replacing speakers as money becomes available.

Replacing speakers now while running the OEM amp is like slapping lipstick on a pig. Really nice high-quality lipstick... the kind you have to go to Nordstrom or Bloomingdales to find cause it's exclusive and really good stuff, all to be putting it on a filthy disgusting pig. (sorry, got a little carried away - I do like Bacon though!)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #5
greatness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: (F22) 2018 M240i

As an F22 owner with the same dilemma, I would first ask what your budget is.

I started with the Focal BMW series (direct plug in) and got the doors+tweeters, subs, and center. The mid-range improvement was noticeable right off the bat, but other than the clarity and separation, the "power" was a bit meh. So I took one more plunge and upgraded the rear deck speakers (same Focal BMW series) and added the Match Up 7BMW amp. The difference is night and day. The ability to use the center (on the dashboard) as a separate channel was HUGE. I mean YUGE. Super YUGE.

Also added the TechnicPNP ASD bypass module, which keeps the volume consistent between driving mode changes and also gets rid of the artificial exhaust noise in the cabin, making the music the center piece of the driving experience.

I also triple promised myself not to upgrade anything else on the car...but the sound system upgrade was totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 07:37 PM   #6
ghtF30
Rep

Thanks for the info and advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Good to know the main gains come from the amp. You've saved me the cost and effort of installing door and/or deck speakers only to not be satisfied in the end.

At this point I think I may leave the system as is. My initial line of thinking was that I could just spend a couple hundred bucks on a pair or two of speakers and be happy. But if it's going to take an amp and speakers to net a worthwhile improvement I'll probably just learn to live with it for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #7
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
ok the stock hk speakers are really good, leave them alone..... get a dayton audio dsp, find one used 75 bucks tops.... now get 2 - 65x4 soundstage amp. 75 bucks each brand new from Visions electronics. Get a Technics pnp harness 75 bucks, 300 bucks and will sound damn good!!! Now first upgrade would be tweeters, dont cheap out here... leave the door speakers alone.. there is nothing out there that will justify the cost vs sound quality upgrade in the doors... All you gain by upgrading to dynaudio or focal is extra power handling but the sq wont improve enough to justify the price.. and last change out those underseat 8s for the earthquake sws8ix
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
ghtF30
Rep

See, that is the kind of low budget upgrade solution I was hoping existed!

Unfortunately I do not the have the HK system, so I'm assuming both the speakers AND the amp are weakpoints, however.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Go to www.crutchfield.com to see what speakers fit. Then shop around.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:26 AM   #10
Fernandoazevedo+
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtF30 View Post
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2016 F22 with standard HiFi. I'm not an audiophile by any means but I'm pretty unimpressed with the system. With the windows down, it just seems like even at max volume the speakers just aren't very loud and the sound quality isn't that great either. I'd like to upgrade the system in the easiest most cost effective way possible. Again I'm not an audio snob so I'm not searching for perfection but a nice little bump in sound quality would be nice.

What's the best way to go about doing this? Can I just buy a set of upgraded door speakers or do I need to buy speakers for the rear as well? I've seen the Bavsound stage 1 kit but I'm not looking to spend that much. I'd also prefer not to have to buy new tweeter housings and while I'm comfortable taking the door panels off, I have no clue when it comes to audio wiring so I'd want something that bolts in without any modifications.

I came across these Focals which look nice because they bolt right in and have integrated tweeters. Could I just upgrade the door speakers with these and be happy with the results?

They're kinda pricey for 2 speakers but then I found them on ebay for less than half the price? Is this legit?

Again, I'm not an audiophile so if I could spend 2-300 bucks for a nice bump in sound quality, that would be great. But if its going to cost me a good buck for anything worthwhile, I'll probably live with the stock system. Keep in mind I've never had an aftermarket system so my expectations are probably not highest compared to some of you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtF30 View Post
Hey all,

Replacing speakers now while running the OEM amp is like slapping lipstick on a pig. Really nice high-quality lipstick... the kind you have to go to Nordstrom or Bloomingdales to find cause it's exclusive and really good stuff, all to be putting it on a filthy disgusting pig. (sorry, got a little carried away - I do like Bacon though!)
Appreciate 1