THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M240 Xdrive Strut Mount Question

01-20-2022, 08:33 PM   #1
Jhindi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

M240 Xdrive Strut Mount Question

Hi everyone, I am completely new to the forum thing so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I have a question concerning my '17 BMW M240 Xdrive with adaptive suspension that I'm praying someone can answer. Last year I had that strange ticking noise when from the front end while driving that occurred on any small bump in the road. It was clear the sound was coming from the suspension and after replacing or checking nearly everything else including the steering rack thrust piece, I finally pulled the strut and replaced the strut mount. While I could never reproduce the sound while the car wasn't been driven or even after I had the strut out, the new mount cleared the problem with the sound right up.

Now the sound is back. The torque specs are good and the strut visually looks fine and I'm assuming the mount is bad again. I was about to order the part again and while checking prices from one site to the next, it seems that there are two different mounts for this car: one for adaptive suspension and one for applications without. The one for adaptive suspension is much more expensive and is not the part I was sold from ecs and installed on the vehicle. Visually at the time of install it looked and fit exactly the same as the mount I removed.

I am curious if anyone knows what the difference is between these two parts and while I understand if the mount for adaptive suspension is much more durable this could be the reason why mine failed prematurely, I only drive the car in comfort mode and don't switch into sport EVER! I also have no memory of hitting a bad pothole or bump and have no knowledge of why these mounts have failed.

Please help me if anyone has knowledge on this info and again I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and for any other mistakes I may have made. Thanks.
      01-21-2022, 10:07 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

It is possible the rubber durometer is different between the two mounts.

Bad mounts will usually net a clunking noise. We have heard clicking noise from bad bearings in the mount. Have you checked your anti roll bar links?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #3
MechEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhindi View Post
Hi everyone, I am completely new to the forum thing so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I have a question concerning my '17 BMW M240 Xdrive with adaptive suspension that I'm praying someone can answer. Last year I had that strange ticking noise when from the front end while driving that occurred on any small bump in the road. It was clear the sound was coming from the suspension and after replacing or checking nearly everything else including the steering rack thrust piece, I finally pulled the strut and replaced the strut mount. While I could never reproduce the sound while the car wasn't been driven or even after I had the strut out, the new mount cleared the problem with the sound right up.

Now the sound is back. The torque specs are good and the strut visually looks fine and I'm assuming the mount is bad again. I was about to order the part again and while checking prices from one site to the next, it seems that there are two different mounts for this car: one for adaptive suspension and one for applications without. The one for adaptive suspension is much more expensive and is not the part I was sold from ecs and installed on the vehicle. Visually at the time of install it looked and fit exactly the same as the mount I removed.

I am curious if anyone knows what the difference is between these two parts and while I understand if the mount for adaptive suspension is much more durable this could be the reason why mine failed prematurely, I only drive the car in comfort mode and don't switch into sport EVER! I also have no memory of hitting a bad pothole or bump and have no knowledge of why these mounts have failed.

Please help me if anyone has knowledge on this info and again I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and for any other mistakes I may have made. Thanks.

I think I have this issue too, did you ever figure it out?
Appreciate 0