THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M240i - Long-Term, Reliable Power Gains

03-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Exclamation M240i - Long-Term, Reliable Power Gains

I'm thinking of everything I'd need/want to do to make the M240i faster, but still very capable of hitting 225k+ miles like I did with my E46 without having to replace anything major and/or any other parts frequently.

For now, at roughly 36k miles...

Catless downpipe with titanium heat wrap (About to go on without a tune)
PTP turbo and exhaust manifold blanket - installed

Near future (order not yet determined):
NGK spark plugs
Oil catch can
Upgraded transmission oil cooler (Does one exist? Found one by CSF for the M2/M235iR/M240iR but not the non-racing models)
BM3 or MHD stage 2 (Holding out as long as I can until I find a compatible BMW SA, or to June 2022 [extended CPO warranty; unlimited miles])
Upgraded HPFP - would having this on first without a tune work? Or have any benefits?
xHP - maybe only after having an upgraded transmission oil cooler for peace of mind.

Thoughts? Advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP to B58 View Post
I'm thinking of everything I'd need/want to do to make the M240i faster, but still very capable of hitting 225k+ miles like I did with my E46 without having to replace anything major and/or any other parts frequently.

For now, at roughly 36k miles...

Catless downpipe with titanium heat wrap (About to go on without a tune)
PTP turbo and exhaust manifold blanket - installed

Near future (order not yet determined):
NGK spark plugs
Oil catch can
Upgraded transmission oil cooler (Does one exist? Found one by CSF for the M2/M235iR/M240iR but not the non-racing models)
BM3 or MHD stage 2 (Holding out as long as I can until I find a compatible BMW SA, or to June 2022 [extended CPO warranty; unlimited miles])
Upgraded HPFP - would having this on first without a tune work? Or have any benefits?
xHP - maybe only after having an upgraded transmission oil cooler for peace of mind.

Thoughts? Advice?
No need for an upgraded trans cooler, just change the "forever fluid" at 50,000miles. Even in track trans temp hasn't been an issue.

If you want to use an ethanol blend tune an upgraded hpfp is a good idea for peace of mind.

I would recommend xhp to anyone tuning their car. Raises torque limiters to stop trans from interfering as well as a bunch of other great features.

If you've had a car last you as long as your last one you know that maintenance is key. No one has a B58 with hundreds of thousands of miles on it but the general consensus seems to be if you are staying stock turbo you should be "safe". Obviously if you throw too much boost at the stock turbo it can fail but ots tunes should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

What's your definition of making "the M240i faster"? More horsepower won't necessarily make it faster. Most drivers run out of talent before we run out of horsepower. IMO, spending some money on professional instruction will make any driver "faster" than engine mods alone will.

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 03-05-2021 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 3
dradernh4179.00
DVMs13518.00
M_Postr36.00
      03-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yep, changed that already at 30k miles. But, upgraded cooling components can only help, hence my search for something possibly more robust. Even more so if torque limiters are removed via xHP which will create more heat if drive harder. Preventive maintenance, not just regular maintenance, is probably what got that E46 to its current mileage.

May put off HPFP then, since I don't plan on any ethanol blending...but yes, definitely not interested in upgrading the stock turbo - at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD11937 View Post
No need for an upgraded trans cooler, just change the "forever fluid" at 50,000miles. Even in track trans temp hasn't been an issue.

If you want to use an ethanol blend tune an upgraded hpfp is a good idea for peace of mind.

I would recommend xhp to anyone tuning their car. Raises torque limiters to stop trans from interfering as well as a bunch of other great features.

If you've had a car last you as long as your last one you know that maintenance is key. No one has a B58 with hundreds of thousands of miles on it but the general consensus seems to be if you are staying stock turbo you should be "safe". Obviously if you throw too much boost at the stock turbo it can fail but ots tunes should be fine.
Faster in a straight line. Decrease the amount of time from point A to point B when WOT/driving harder vs. stock. I'm no professional racer or drag strip/track hobbyist, but I enjoy the occasional moments when I can step on it and feel/notice the delta between stock vs. post-mods.

I may look into HPDE down the line, but not my point as it currently relates to vehicle modifications. Good idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
What's your definition of making "the M240i faster"? More horsepower won't necessarily make it faster. Most drivers run out of talent before we run out of horsepower. IMO, spending some money on professional instruction will make any driver "faster" than engine mods alone will.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Sharing what I've read from the 3 series B58 forum and doing upgrades first hand. If you dont plan on running ethanol, you wont see much benefit from the upgraded fuel pump.

The value in the B58TU pump is finding one used for a lower price. During the peak of the fuel pump era (beginning of covid) new ones were going for $1000 and used for around $800. Many people bought them because they couldnt wait for aftermarket options.

There will inevitably be a segment of the market that goes further down the rabbit hole and buys the next step up in fuel pumps and will be selling their B58TU pump to recoup costs.

I bought mine from pure800 as a used unit. They were used for testing their turbo upgrades and sold after.

Regarding the heat exchanger upgrade, not cheap...I believe Kevin Germain/Kern documented doing this himself on his 4 series.

What I would recommend you concern yourself with first is if your 240i has the rockguard installed or not, or you'll be considering the above mod (or radiator replacement) inevitably, without a choice in the matter, when you catch a stone into the radiator.

Mine is a 2017 but build date is prior to the rock guard revision, so I'm trying to figure this option out right now.

Originally, these were around $1000 when I first looked into them. Prices have fallen to $600 and it includes a rockguard.

https://studiorsr.com/products/csf-b...-charge-cooler
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Added to the list. Thanks, forgot about the CSF heat exchanger. If it comes with the rock guard then even better; I was planning on using some black chicken wire or something to make my own. I think the dealer wanted ~$50 for the rock guard but it would've only accounted for the 1/3rd lower half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Sharing what I've read from the 3 series B58 forum and doing upgrades first hand. If you dont plan on running ethanol, you wont see much benefit from the upgraded fuel pump.

The value in the B58TU pump is finding one used for a lower price. During the peak of the fuel pump era (beginning of covid) new ones were going for $1000 and used for around $800. Many people bought them because they couldnt wait for aftermarket options.

There will inevitably be a segment of the market that goes further down the rabbit hole and buys the next step up in fuel pumps and will be selling their B58TU pump to recoup costs.

I bought mine from pure800 as a used unit. They were used for testing their turbo upgrades and sold after.

Regarding the heat exchanger upgrade, not cheap...I believe Kevin Germain/Kern documented doing this himself on his 4 series.

What I would recommend you concern yourself with first is if your 240i has the rockguard installed or not, or you'll be considering the above mod (or radiator replacement) inevitably, without a choice in the matter, when you catch a stone into the radiator.

Mine is a 2017 but build date is prior to the rock guard revision, so I'm trying to figure this option out right now.

Originally, these were around $1000 when I first looked into them. Prices have fallen to $600 and it includes a rockguard.

https://studiorsr.com/products/csf-b...-charge-cooler
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Did they explain how they planned on installing that option? As I understand the mounting tabs do not exist for it on the models built prior to revision.

I was going to go the similar route and just buy some mesh and possibly ziptie it and pretend it doesnt exist.

I also see that CTS turbo has since released a heat exchanger upgrade (approx $420 in price)

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts...anger-upgrade/

but see no mention of the rock guard in the price.

I like CTS turbo as far as quality goes so it would be worth pitching the question to them and seeing if it was excluded in the description.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Did they explain how they planned on installing that option? As I understand the mounting tabs do not exist for it on the models built prior to revision.

I was going to go the similar route and just buy some mesh and possibly ziptie it and pretend it doesnt exist....
I would also like to find a reasonably priced, reasonably easy option for protecting all the coolers. I did not know that later models came with one from the factory. I now feel cheated.
Now watching this thread for options. Please do share.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #9
Dantesboyz
recovering e36er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Xdrive

Garage List
subscribing to this thread gotta see where it goes
To do next list- #1- Wheel Spacers & Tires, #2- B58 TU Pump, #3- Flex Fuel Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #10
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I only asked for the price and availability; didn't ask them to look into quoting me for the install. At ~$43 each on ECSTuning, I decided to just go with the custom route - some gloss black chicken wire or something from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Something like this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1539194

I definitely want it on to protect the lower half as its more prone to debris/rocks than the upper half. TBD...downpipe arrived; the outlet wasn't 80mm as advertised. Need to sort that out first before moving to the next thing.

Quote:

I was going to go the similar route and just buy some mesh and possibly ziptie it and pretend it doesnt exist.

I also see that CTS turbo has since released a heat exchanger upgrade (approx $420 in price)

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts...anger-upgrade/

but see no mention of the rock guard in the price.

I like CTS turbo as far as quality goes so it would be worth pitching the question to them and seeing if it was excluded in the description.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #11
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

I noticed the main(center) radiator has a grill in front to protect it. My car is a 2021 M240i. The side radiators have no grill. I have some black metal gutter guards left over. I removed the side grills and just cut up the black metal gutter guard to fit inside. I drilled some very small holes along the bottom of the grills' vertical slats so I can attach the gutter guard with some small zip ties. Turned out very well. Now I don't have to worry rocks and road debris damaging my side radiators.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I would also like to find a reasonably priced, reasonably easy option for protecting all the coolers. I did not know that later models came with one from the factory. I now feel cheated.
Now watching this thread for options. Please do share.
I believe it was standard after the 2017 MY, or for 2017?

Mine is a late 2016 build, but 2017...so I did not get it.

AFAIK, there are mounts built into the bumper or surrounding area, for the rock guard. Some have discussed epoxy for attaching the mounts. I'd need to get back there to see it before I prescribed any solutions.

I do think zip ties might be the easiest route but I hate that option...
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      03-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #13
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think some 2018 M240i's didn't have them either; it all depends on when the car was actually built. Something like late Q4 2017 was when they started including them....

I still haven't inquired or looked into if the OE ones would be a direct fit or not. The zip tie option doesn't seem so bad and shouldn't rattle as long as the zip ties are tightened, but I wouldn't say no to paying a few extra bucks for the OE route.

If anyone beats me to it, please do share (if the OE rock guard fits pre-rock guard fitted models with no other tools/parts/etc.)...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
If anyone beats me to it, please do share (if the OE rock guard fits pre-rock guard fitted models with no other tools/parts/etc.)...
I'm not sure if this is helpful or what you're looking for, but it's part of a dealer invoice showing the parts I paid for to have the BMW rock guard installed on my 2017 M240i.

I asked for the coolant to be replaced during the service visit. I've assumed that would have been done anyway as part of the rock guard installation, but I never asked.

Following that is the realoem page showing the rock guard (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...23#17118485042).

Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #15
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks.

Thinking of going the CSF heat exchanger route since it includes the rock guard. Two birds, one stone.

Catless downpipe went on about two weeks ago. Already driven it for a few hundred miles since then; observations running it without a tune:

1. MPG has gone down regardless of which mode (Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+). Negligible difference; with a full tank and cruising on the freeway in Comfort, the remaining mileage counter shows >370 miles remaining. Having some fun in Sport+ however, consumes even more gas than before with the stock cat.

2. CEL is on, despite the 90-degree oxygen sensor with narrow opening. Came on after about 200 miles.

3. Cold start is loud. Loud enough for me to feather the throttle to get it to quiet down so my neighbors don't go nuts. If tuning in the future, I'd definitely tune it out. No need, since there's no cat.

4. When in Sport/Sport+ and decelerating, the burbles/backfire are louder. Not gunshot-snappy/crackly because both resonators are still on, but more pronounced in terms of decibels and bass.

5. Butt dyno says it's faster - whether accelerating from a standstill or rolling start.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #16
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thinking of going the CSF heat exchanger route since it includes the rock guard. Two birds, one stone.
That's the way to go. I would have done it myself if I'd planned on continuing to track the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #17
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
I noticed the main(center) radiator has a grill in front to protect it. My car is a 2021 M240i. The side radiators have no grill. I have some black metal gutter guards left over. I removed the side grills and just cut up the black metal gutter guard to fit inside. I drilled some very small holes along the bottom of the grills' vertical slats so I can attach the gutter guard with some small zip ties. Turned out very well. Now I don't have to worry rocks and road debris damaging my side radiators.
I was considering doing this same thing. I also had the same left over black gutter screens. But, I didn't know how to remove those grills. If it was possible to remove those and the center lower grill w/o removing the bumper, I would do this for all 3. If you know, please share the info. Thanks.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #18
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I was considering doing this same thing. I also had the same left over black gutter screens. But, I didn't know how to remove those grills. If it was possible to remove those and the center lower grill w/o removing the bumper, I would do this for all 3. If you know, please share the info. Thanks.
The side grills are secured by clips. Get a stiff plastic card and run it along the edges of the grill. You have to use quite a bit of force to pull them out. My m240i is 2021 so the center radiator has the oem rock guards so I did not bother to put in the gutter mesh. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      03-23-2021, 10:43 PM   #19
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

Catless downpipe went on about two weeks ago. Already driven it for a few hundred miles since then; observations running it without a tune:

1. MPG has gone down regardless of which mode (Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+). Negligible difference; with a full tank and cruising on the freeway in Comfort, the remaining mileage counter shows >370 miles remaining. Having some fun in Sport+ however, consumes even more gas than before with the stock cat.

2. CEL is on, despite the 90-degree oxygen sensor with narrow opening. Came on after about 200 miles.

3. Cold start is loud. Loud enough for me to feather the throttle to get it to quiet down so my neighbors don't go nuts. If tuning in the future, I'd definitely tune it out. No need, since there's no cat.

4. When in Sport/Sport+ and decelerating, the burbles/backfire are louder. Not gunshot-snappy/crackly because both resonators are still on, but more pronounced in terms of decibels and bass.

5. Butt dyno says it's faster - whether accelerating from a standstill or rolling start.
return the 90 degree oxygen sensor adapter and just get the tuning items.

MHD has "stage 0" tune that will still allow you to shut off the CEL from going catless. I dont know if CEL changes the car's performance in any way, but not interested in finding out what "regular limp mode" feels like.

There's also an option to check if you want to quiet the cold start.

might as well go for it. Catless DP gains without a tune are minimal compared to what the engine is capable of at that point.

Just go through the regular stuff, check your plugs (might as well replace them now..) make sure the rest runs well.

I will definitely consider the CSF heat exchanger since Im already running E40 tune.

Also, say goodbye to fuel economy...lol. At e40 I can get maybe 300 miles out of a full tank if I squeeze it dry.. Regardless, I prefer to not let it get much lower than 1/4.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #20
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Custom-made oil catch can is going on tomorrow, along with the rock guards.

RealOEM's diagram based on a June 2017 production-dated 2017 MY M240i shows two rock guards, one below and one above.

Decided to go the OE route instead; picked up two rock guards (17118485042) and a left and right mount (17119487032 and 17119487033). If it turns out just one is needed then great, I'll return the other one.

Changed the oil again after 5k miles (currently 40k); sent a sample over to Blackstone Labs. Liqui-Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20. If all is well then I may shoot for MHD stage 2 before June ends. Maybe 2+ if I can find a HPFP.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      05-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #21
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
return the 90 degree oxygen sensor adapter and just get the tuning items.

MHD has "stage 0" tune that will still allow you to shut off the CEL from going catless. I dont know if CEL changes the car's performance in any way, but not interested in finding out what "regular limp mode" feels like.

There's also an option to check if you want to quiet the cold start.

might as well go for it. Catless DP gains without a tune are minimal compared to what the engine is capable of at that point.

Just go through the regular stuff, check your plugs (might as well replace them now..) make sure the rest runs well.

I will definitely consider the CSF heat exchanger since Im already running E40 tune.

Also, say goodbye to fuel economy...lol. At e40 I can get maybe 300 miles out of a full tank if I squeeze it dry.. Regardless, I prefer to not let it get much lower than 1/4.
Right. I haven't been as concerned with the CEL since pre-DP install, I had no issues nor codes. Sometimes the CEL disappears too - but after > 5k miles with it, I've yet to experience limp mode even once.

Waiting on the Blackstone oil analysis....if all looks fine, then yes, spark plugs > MHD > xHP. Or probably better suspension first.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #22
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Custom-made oil catch can is going on tomorrow...
Please let us know your result once it's been on long enough to determine the benefit.
Appreciate 0