THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone Repair or Replace Convertible Top?

06-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
twolegittwoquit
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible

Anyone Repair or Replace Convertible Top?

Hi all,

Have a '16 m235k convertible, purchased used with 47k on it. After six months of ownership, some points where the top folds and a couple creases meet to make a point I'm getting some fairly serious wear/abrasion. Not a hole, but fibers are starting to wear down. This wasn't obvious when I bought it, which seems odd, as I haven't found any source indicating how someone could care for those, and it definitely didn't look this bad in the first few months of ownership.

I called two repair places in my area (Boston metro), and they both said there's no such thing as repairing worn areas, you just have to decide when to replace it. It's not so bad it needs to be repaired, it just doesn't look great (and the rest of the car's paint looks great).

Any experience with repair of any kind for abrasions to stop more wear on the abrasion? Any recommendations for replacing these (local spots in Boston, general advice?). Mechanically the soft top is in perfect shape it seems.

Absolutely love having a convertible, but new to this part of maintenance.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Not repair, but worth stating the usual guidelines for a soft-top, so you at least minimise damage:

▪ Vacuum the fabric regularly: I use an upholstry brush vacuum cleaner attachment and move along the bias (even if it's garaged, it will still pick up a surprising amount of dust and debris).
▪ Don't fold the top away if it's wet - always let it dry out first.
▪ If you're parking for any length of time, always put the top up, with the fabric tensioned, even if it's dry and warm.
▪ 2x a year (more if it's parked outdoors) and if it's badly hit with tree sap or bird strike: Use a BMW or similar roof fabric cleaner to wash the roof, then treat with a BMW or similar fabric proofer (always wash the proof suds off the bodywork).
▪ When you wash the bodywork, don't let the wash or rinse dry on the fabric or it may leave bead marks: lay a cloth on the fabric to soak up the water but don't ever run the cloth across the fabric
▪ Personally, I've never taken mine through a car wash. BMW say it should be OK and owners who do it feed back that they've had no issues. But I just don't trust the detergents they use not to clean off the proofing.

Although fabric roofs inevitably develop some creases over time, these are usually only cosmetic and it shouldn't develop any serious wear. My 2016 M235i Convertible is at 40K miles and the roof looks pretty good, bar a couple of minor cosmetic creases above the top-left and top-right of the rear window:

And while I've had it from new and it's garaged most nights, it's still done excursions to the mountains every winter and summer, so it's not totally cosseted. So I'm not sure if your vehicle may perhaps have had a neglectful previous owner.

And although it's actually extremely rare to get a problem with the roof mechanism (I can only think of one report on this forum from someone who's had one fail) it's probably worth taking a look at the Forum thread Closing the roof manually, just so you know.

My 2016 vehicle had a recall specifically for a roof mechanism part replacement. Apparently it was a bad batch of parts, so by no means all 2016s had the problem. It was done under warranty. It may be worth checking with a dealer whether your VIN was also one of these and if so, whether the remedial work was actually done.

The only other problem I recall seeing on here was from an F23 owner who seems to have had a one-off problem with the spring mechanism that caused some fabric wear/damage. It might be worth doing an advanced search. If you're getting the car serviced by a BMW dealer, it may be worth asking them to check that the mechanism is OK and not causing damage.

Last edited by msej449; 06-25-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2022, 01:27 AM   #3
Gregoryb01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive Convertible

I had mine (2016 M235i) replaced under warranty. BMW told me to never pause or stop the process of putting the top up or down to always fully complete each process. Other than that I also do all of the steps mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryb01 View Post
I had mine (2016 M235i) replaced under warranty. BMW told me to never pause or stop the process of putting the top up or down to always fully complete each process. Other than that I also do all of the steps mentioned above.
Forgot this one - yes, the only problems I've had with the raising/lowering process going wrong is when it's been interrupted mid-unfolding/folding. So I now have a protocol, especially important for passengers: Either do the roof stuff after you get in/out the car, or before. But not at the same time.

Generally, on arriving somewhere with a passenger and the top down, I'll stay put while they get themselves out the car and extract all their belongings, and shut their door. Then I sit there and put the roof up, with me inside. Then I get out and lock the car.

You can operate the roof mechanism from outside the car by pressing the key fob lock/unlock button continuously but you have to be with a couple of metres of the car, or it won't work properly. And it's very easy to get distracted and take your thumb off the button and the whole thing stops mid-action. Which is exactly what you don't want.

If you're leaving it with the top down you can immobilise the car but not activate the interior motion sensor: when you press the lock button, press it again in quick succession and you'll see the LED under the mirror stay on continuiously for a couple of seconds. It'll then start flashing as usual. This is the only indication you get that the motion sensor is disabled.

If you're cleaning the car and want to get to the the roof bay or tonneau mechanism, bear in mind that it's best to stop the open/close process with the ignition on rather than off. This is because eventually, the hydraulics lose pressure and the mechanism starts to move - you obviouslydon't want your hands/arms to be caught as this happens. With the ignition on, the mechanism stays in place for around 10 minutes (but check your Owners Manual for the exact time) but much less time if it's off.

Last edited by msej449; 07-10-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:18 AM   #5
twolegittwoquit
Rep

Thanks all for the replies. That’s very helpful information. I am washing/treating the top, but the small creases seem to be getting worse and are turning into small tears. I feel like I’m going to have to replace it next year but it just seems odd for a six year old car. First time with one of these though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:20 AM   #6
twolegittwoquit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy splinter View Post
when did you get the car and from where ?

I bought from Carvana last October.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #7
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Lots of great info here. OP, I’m sorry to hear of your top troubles!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #8
BlueberryPie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Convertible

Anyone have experience with strange creases in the soft top (V-shape in picture below)? I bought the car CPO a few months ago, but it was from a BMW dealer out of state, delivered to my home so I did not notice it at first. The car only had 26k miles when I purchased it.

I had my local BMW dealer take a look but it was nothing they would cover. I dealt with a handful of other small issues from the dealer I purchased it from, so I did not bring this to their attention as maybe I should have.

As long as it doesn't get worse I'm not too worried. I tried to use a steamer on it but it didn't make a difference. When I watch the top fold down it looks like the fabric is simply binding up causing this; the dealer I showed it too said they've never seen anything like this and thought perhaps the previous owner folded it down with something stuck in it - who knows if they actually believe that.

Since this picture was taken I've cleaned it up nicely with 303 and plan to apply 303 fabric guard soon, was really hoping to get this crease removed or minimized first though.
- BimmerWorld TA5R - 18x8.5 +38/Michelin PS4S 235/40/18 Square
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
▪ 2x a year (more if it's parked outdoors) and if it's badly hit with tree sap or bird strike: Use a BMW or similar roof fabric cleaner to wash the roof, then treat with a BMW or similar fabric proofer (always wash the proof suds off the bodywork).
▪ When you wash the bodywork, don't let the wash or rinse dry on the fabric or it may leave bead marks: lay a cloth on the fabric to soak up the water but don't ever run the cloth across the fabric
Msej, incredibly helpful info you provided. I regret to threadjack, but would you mind sharing your preferred method of bird 💩 removal…?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
@60_Driver Sure. I live by the sea, so seagull birdstrike is quite common. First, I'll just use water and a brush. If that doesn't work, the usual car wash soution and a sponge. And if that doesn't work, the BMW cabriolet cleaner solution and a sponge. The key IMO is to wash the area ASAP before the birdstrike sets too hard. I've found there's a certain disincentive to act if the rest of the car is pristine and cleaning the roof means you're going to mess-up the bodywork.

I don't re-proof every time I wash the roof as above. Just when it's time to do the full roof clean and re-proofing exercie. Which is usually at the end of the winter and summer, or if the fabric is particularly badly affected: generally, it's been tree sap, rather than birdstrike, that's forced me to do the whole re-proofing thing.

In the UK, the BMW cabriolet roof cleaning concentrate is spares #B83.12.2.298.222 and the BMW cabriolet proofing concentrate is #B89.12.2.298.223 - I'm sure htere are equally good alternatives, but I just tend to go for BMW stuff to avoid disputes later if there are problems. I do the same with the BMW leather maintenace pack even 'though there are lots of independednt alternatives out there.

Any fabric proofing solution that gets on to the bodywork needs to be washed off. Don't let it dry on bodywork surfaces or it'll leave dry marks.

Last edited by msej449; 07-04-2022 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #11
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i X Convert

Had similar wrinkles, in the same area, when I bought a 2015 a couple of years ago. Been using a shop vac before washing. The towels work well. Used RagTop system every 6 months or so and the wrinkles are gone. It appears that drying in the sun helps.

I would venture that the top was put down when damp or wet. Living in the desert wih wind and blowing sand, the black top collects everything. It now cleans easily with compressed air, vacuum, or 85 mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i X Convert

It's name is RaggTopp, not Ragtop.
Appreciate 1
qlaval52.50
      07-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #13
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@60_Driver Sure. I live by the sea, so seagull birdstrike is quite common. First, I'll just use water and a brush. If that doesn't work, the usual car wash soution and a sponge. And if that doesn't work, the BMW cabriolet cleaner solution and a sponge. The key IMO is to wash the area ASAP before the birdstrike sets too hard. I've found there's a certain disincentive to act if the rest of the car is pristine and cleaning the roof means you're going to mess-up the bodywork.

I don't re-proof every time I wash the roof as above. Just when it's time to do the full roof clean and re-proofing exercie. Which is usually at the end of the winter and summer, or if the fabric is particularly badly affected: generally, it's been tree sap, rather than birdstrike, that's forced me to do the whole re-proofing thing.

In the UK, the BMW cabriolet roof cleaning concentrate is spares #B83.12.2.298.222 and the BMW cabriolet proofing concentrate is #B89.12.2.298.223 - I'm sure htere are equally good alternatives, but I just tend to go for BMW stuff to avoid disputes later if there are problems. I do the same with the BMW leather maintenace pack even 'though there are lots of independednt alternatives out there.

Any fabric proofing solution that gets on to the bodywork needs to be washed off. Don't let it dry on bodywork surfaces or it'll leave dry marks.
Good stuff! Thank you very much for the info. I’ll be sure to pick up some of the BMW cleaner & proofer. I don’t live by the sea anymore but the robins around my yard seem to target practice on my truck that lives outside. The bmw is garaged but they’ve still struck when it’s out there for a few min
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #14
Vegas1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 'vert &'14 Merc C300

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolegittwoquit View Post
I bought from Carvana last October.
I just bought my 2017 from Carvana a month ago! I love it. Great post also. Highly informative. I did a roof proof already and will do it again in 5 mos. I'm going to tape off the bodywork/windows this time with some thin plastic sheeting. The overspray from the roof sealant dried and was a pain to get off. Some detailer spray and elbow grease took care of it but man what a chore.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #15
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Here is some good soft top care info: https://carcarespecialties.com/soft-top/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
got0ne
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d Cabrio

Subject: Re-proofing.
Any cautionary notes on using a proprietary silicone based spray, intended for general use on fabrics such as tents, clothing, etc., but doesn't mention soft tops?????????

Handbook cautions on using any silicone on rubber parts so care required of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #17
Neverlost99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2105 228ix

got it thanks

Last edited by Neverlost99; 04-20-2023 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:01 PM   #18
mbd23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i coupe

Can I ask who you called near Boston?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:48 PM   #19
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

3 convertibles, 1990 944 s2, 12 128, 20 230 (since 2005) 5 years each for all of them 2 years on the latest 230

All daily drivers, the 944 was garaged, all put through car washes, both jet and brush

I've cleant the tops about 3 times, once for the s2, twice for the 128, not yet for the 230

no problems with any, I had the s2 knifed but I fixed it

All 3 no damage all worked perfectly

maybe I'm just lucky

Quote:
Not repair, but worth stating the usual guidelines for a soft-top, so you at least minimise damage:

▪ Vacuum the fabric regularly: I use an upholstry brush vacuum cleaner attachment and move along the bias (even if it's garaged, it will still pick up a surprising amount of dust and debris).
▪ Don't fold the top away if it's wet - always let it dry out first.
▪ If you're parking for any length of time, always put the top up, with the fabric tensioned, even if it's dry and warm.
▪ Personally, I've never taken mine through a car wash. BMW say it should be OK and owners who do it feed back that they've had no issues. But I just don't trust the detergents they use not to clean off the proofing.

Although fabric roofs inevitably develop some creases over time, these are usually only cosmetic and it shouldn't develop any serious wear. My 2016 M235i Convertible is at 40K miles and the roof looks pretty good, bar a couple of minor cosmetic creases above the top-left and top-right of the rear window:

And while I've had it from new and it's garaged most nights, it's still done excursions to the mountains every winter and summer, so it's not totally cosseted. So I'm not sure if your vehicle may perhaps have had a neglectful previous owner.

And although it's actually extremely rare to get a problem with the roof mechanism (I can only think of one report on this forum from someone who's had one fail) it's probably worth taking a look at the Forum thread Closing the roof manually, just so you know.

My 2016 vehicle had a recall specifically for a roof mechanism part replacement. Apparently it was a bad batch of parts, so by no means all 2016s had the problem. It was done under warranty. It may be worth checking with a dealer whether your VIN was also one of these and if so, whether the remedial work was actually done.

The only other problem I recall seeing on here was from an F23 owner who seems to have had a one-off problem with the spring mechanism that caused some fabric wear/damage. It might be worth doing an advanced search. If you're getting the car serviced by a BMW dealer, it may be worth asking them to check that the mechanism is OK and not causing damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:50 PM   #20
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I did a roof proof on the 128 twice, really awesome, beads up nicely, can't remember what I sued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas1 View Post
I just bought my 2017 from Carvana a month ago! I love it. Great post also. Highly informative. I did a roof proof already and will do it again in 5 mos. I'm going to tape off the bodywork/windows this time with some thin plastic sheeting. The overspray from the roof sealant dried and was a pain to get off. Some detailer spray and elbow grease took care of it but man what a chore.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #21
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

on the 128 I had some wrinkles, looked at lots of options forum basically told me it was a badge of honor and to live with it, which is what I did, you can't avoid it, never use the top, never happen, if that's the case don't want wrinkles dont buy a soft top, buy a hardtop convertible, a T-Top or drive in a clamshell
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:10 PM   #22
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

On the 2007 Z4M I had there were never any wrinkles in the top. It spent about 70% of it's driven distance with the roof down, but always had the roof up when parked for more than a few minutes, even when indoors and especially when wet after rain or a car wash, to keep it tensioned.

I treated it with the BMW top cleaner twice a year and the BMW waterproofer once a year. Was in very good condition after 6 years.
Appreciate 0