THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Need Advice on Square Set-Up for 2015 M235i xdrive

05-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
DerricksM235i
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i / 2008 350Z

Need Advice on Square Set-Up for 2015 M235i xdrive

Hi all, let me apologize if this has been covered, but I keep reading conflicting information. I'm looking to buy wheels for my 2015 M235i xdrive. My goal is to fit the widest tires possible because I will be tracking this car.

I already have camber plates installed and about to have lower control arms installed as well. My current camber is -1.5 all around, but plan to go -2.0 up front. I'm just wondering how wide of a wheel I can go with?

Also, do you think a 255 wide tire is possible? I've read a few people have 255 squared setups, but I'm not exactly sure what off-set I'll need and if I'll need new spacers. I'm currently running 12mm spacers up front and 15mm in rear. If anyone can share any advice, or a link to point me in the right direction, I would TRULY appreciate it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I think I've read on this forum that there are some issues specific to xDrive F22s when making upgrades in the front. I don't have an xDrive, so I only skimmed those posts and don't recall any details.

How much track experience do you have – and on which tracks?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

There are some 255 square setups and the requirements mentioned here. These are specific to Apex wheels, but should give you a place to start.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
DerricksM235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
There are some 255 square setups and the requirements mentioned here. These are specific to Apex wheels, but should give you a place to start.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
Thank you for taking the time to send me this, I really appreciate it. Actually I do plan to buy Apex wheels anyway. ✌🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
DerricksM235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I think I've read on this forum that there are some issues specific to xDrive F22s when making upgrades in the front. I don't have an xDrive, so I only skimmed those posts and don't recall any details.

How much track experience do you have – and on which tracks?
Thank you for taking the time to reply back, I really appreciate it. Do you mind resending the screenshot about what you did with your squared setup? For some reason it disappeared and I didn't save it, I read over it and planned to come back to it after I ate lunch to screenshot it, but now it's gone.

As far as track experience, I've got about 6 or 7 yrs experience. Tracks include Carolina Motorsports Park, Atlanta Motorsports Park, and Road Atlanta. My actual track car is a 2008 350z with a grocery list of bolt-on upgrades. It has a 275 squared setup. Unfortunately I've not been able to track this car for the past yr and a half due to a foot injury, it's a manual. So I bought an M235i with the ZF8 transmission and have been getting it track-ready until my foot gets back to normal.

I also have almost 20 yrs experience on a driving simulator (Gran Turismo). I've had a driving simulator since around 2003 or 2004, it definitely taught me how to drive. Obviously there's no substitute for real-life, but my simulator definitely helped tremendously.

How about you? I live in Knoxville TN and unfortunately the closest tracks are 3 hours away in Atlanta. ✌🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerricksM235i View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply back, I really appreciate it. Do you mind resending the screenshot about what you did with your squared setup? For some reason it disappeared and I didn't save it, I read over it and planned to come back to it after I ate lunch to screenshot it, but now it's gone.

As far as track experience, I've got about 6 or 7 yrs experience. Tracks include Carolina Motorsports Park, Atlanta Motorsports Park, and Road Atlanta. My actual track car is a 2008 350z with a grocery list of bolt-on upgrades. It has a 275 squared setup. Unfortunately I've not been able to track this car for the past yr and a half due to a foot injury, it's a manual. So I bought an M235i with the ZF8 transmission and have been getting it track-ready until my foot gets back to normal.

I also have almost 20 yrs experience on a driving simulator (Gran Turismo). I've had a driving simulator since around 2003 or 2004, it definitely taught me how to drive. Obviously there's no substitute for real-life, but my simulator definitely helped tremendously.

How about you? I live in Knoxville TN and unfortunately the closest tracks are 3 hours away in Atlanta. ✌��
Gotcha.

I'm outside Cincinnati, and Mid-Ohio became my home track after I moved down here from New Hampshire a few years ago. I ran a few events there in 2018-2019 and am done with it now. Basically, I've aged-out of the hobby.

From 2008-2014 I ran on all of the major tracks inside the lines connecting Summit Point, Mont Tremblant, Mosport, and Mid-Ohio. I enjoyed time trials with a hardcore TT club the most. That club had a 350Z driver who was very good; iirc, he had 275s on it, and they looked huge to me with my 245s.

Watkins Glen has by far been my favorite track. I think if I was where you are I'd favor Road Atlanta and VIR. I've not driven either track but have been to them and walked around to see different corners. They have the kind of flow to them that the Glen has and that I enjoy the most.

I also raced a street bike back in the 60s. That was and is a completely different thing, I think.

As it turns out, it was another member who posted a snapshot of a post I made after installing the M Performance Brake Kit on my car and running into a front fitment issue that was easily solved. Below is my current setup with 255/35-18s front and rear.

Arriving at this setup was the result of working with TC Kline Racing in Hilliard, Ohio and Performance Alignment in nearby Sharonville, Ohio. That's been my MO since day one: find one or more capable shops and, generally, let them take the lead in specifying and implementing what's needed to achieve my general goals. Those shops have decades of experience and that's helped me to avoid chasing dead-ends.

The goal for this car starting in 2018 was 2-3 years of street/track followed by street-only. It's been a good car for both; with the weight it carries, however, it is decidedly a street car.

Last edited by dradernh; 06-02-2022 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #7
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

FYI…….The LCA upgrade will not fit the xdrive model.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
DerricksM235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo1234 View Post
Ok thanks for the heads up. Do you know a different alternative?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
DerricksM235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Gotcha.

I'm outside Cincinnati, and Mid-Ohio became my home track after I moved down here from New Hampshire a few years ago. I ran a few events there in 2018-2019 and am done with it now. Basically, I've aged-out of the hobby.

From 2008-2014 I ran on all of the major tracks inside the lines connecting Summit Point, Mont Tremblant, Mosport, and Mid-Ohio. I enjoyed time trials with a hardcore TT club the most. That club had a 350Z driver who was very good; iirc, he had 275s on it, and they looked huge to me with my 245s.

Watkins Glen has by far been my favorite track. I think if I was where you are I'd favor Road Atlanta and VIR. I've not driven either track but have been to them and walked around to see different corners. They have the kind of flow to them that the Glen has and that I enjoy the most.

I also raced a street bike back in the 60s. That was and is a completely different thing, I think.

As it turns out, it was another member who posted a snapshot of a post I made after installing the M Performance Brake Kit on my car and running into a front fitment issue that was easily solved. Below is my current setup with 255/35-18s front and rear.

Arriving at this setup was the result of working with TC Kline Racing in Hilliard, Ohio and Performance Alignment in nearby Sharonville, Ohio. That's been my MO since day one: find one or more capable shops and, generally, let them take the lead in specifying and implementing what's needed to achieve my general goals. Those shops have decades of experience and that's helped me to avoid chasing dead-ends.

The goal for this car starting in 2018 was 2-3 years of street/track followed by street-only. It's been a good car for both; with the weight it carries, however, it is decidedly a street car.

Thanks a lot for resending the info. I've heard good things about Mid-Ohio and it's on my list, along with VIR. Sounds like you've got a lot of track experience, but it's a bummer you've aged out of it. If you still have the racing bug I suggest you look into a driving simulator, it really helps scratch the itch.

Yeah when I went 275 squared on my Z it became a completely different car, corner speed was night and day difference. My BMW is a blast but I do miss driving my Z, it feels more raw, but I'm sure with wider tires on my BMW the corner speed will be faster and more fun as well.

I've heard good things about Watkins Glen as well and hopefully some day I'll be able to go there too. Yeah Road Atlanta is my fav, it's a monster compared to Atlanta Motorsports Park and Carolina Motorsports Park. However, Carolina Motorsports Park is a close 2nd fav, it has a lot of run-off areas so I tend to push my car harder at CMP compared to RA and AMP with walls right next to the track.

I have several friends that race sport bikes, it's definitely a different type of animal for sure. I live close to a very curvy mountain road out in the middle of nowhere with no enter connecting roads nor any private drives, just 2 lanes and 318 corners in an 11 mile stretch. It's popular with car and bike enthusiasts, so a lot of us locals hang out over there.

Thankfully my BMW has the M package with M brakes, M exhaust, and auto dampening, although I now have KW coilovers with the built-in auto dampening, specifically made for the M235.

I totally agree about finding a competent shop to help. Thankfully I seem to have found one that seems to know what they're doing, they race on roadcourses as well. They also recently tuned my BMW. Unfortunately the Knoxville area doesn't have any BMW shops that I am confident in, except for the one I just mentioned.

Thanks again for all this info, I really can't say thank you enough.

Btw, here's a link to one of my more memorable track sessions at CMP. Just under halfway through this video I get into a good battle with a 2018 Camaro 2SS (450 hp). He was running Sport Cup 2 tires and I was running Pilot Super Sports but they weren't fresh tires. I also have all my Z upgrades listed in the description.

You'll notice CMP has a lot of run-off areas. This track really helped me find my Z's limits without worrying about crashing into a wall lol. You'll also notice the Camaro will pull away from me in the straightaways, but I reel him back in when we hit the corners, this was such a fun day. He would've pulled away even more, but my Z has a 4.08 rear end now compared to the factory 3.50.

https://youtu.be/GVCdzsEKUdE
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerricksM235i View Post
Quote:
Ok thanks for the heads up. Do you know a different alternative?
Camber plates, which you already have.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      06-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #11
DerricksM235i
Rep

Quote:
Camber plates, which you already have.
Thanks Raymondo!
Appreciate 0