THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Help with swaying

04-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
F235i
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i 2016

Help with swaying

Hi guys, I was driving in Miami and I caught a flat in my Hancook v12s, they weren't run flats so I was just driving on the rubber pretty much, car was bumpy but I was driving really slow like 10mph for about 10-20 miles until I reached the tire store. I put on some petlas velox sports 255/35/19s and got an alignment, after getting alignment I realized the car wasn't driving straight, whenever I floored the gas pedal the car would start to sway at top speed as if it's on a drag pack or something, whenever I went over a lane line the car would sway aswell. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight?

Ps: when I got the alignment, with my luck, I got a drivetrain malfunction for a hpfp related issue, keep in mind I'm 300 miles away from home so after I got the malfunction I just thought maybe that shop just didn't know what they were doing and fix it after I fix hpfp, fast forward I'm ready to fix it, just don't know where to start, bmw advisor at dealership said my tires are too cheap lol, I hope thats it but another alignment shop told me I needed an "roadside alignment" or some bs
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by F235i View Post
Hi guys, I was driving in Miami and I caught a flat in my Hancook v12s, they weren't run flats so I was just driving on the rubber pretty much, car was bumpy but I was driving really slow like 10mph for about 10-20 miles until I reached the tire store. I put on some petlas velox sports 255/35/19s and got an alignment, after getting alignment I realized the car wasn't driving straight, whenever I floored the gas pedal the car would start to sway at top speed as if it's on a drag pack or something, whenever I went over a lane line the car would sway aswell. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight?

Ps: when I got the alignment, with my luck, I got a drivetrain malfunction for a hpfp related issue, keep in mind I'm 300 miles away from home so after I got the malfunction I just thought maybe that shop just didn't know what they were doing and fix it after I fix hpfp, fast forward I'm ready to fix it, just don't know where to start, bmw advisor at dealership said my tires are too cheap lol, I hope thats it but another alignment shop told me I needed an "roadside alignment" or some bs
Your tire might be too fresh. I posted a similar issue I had with fresh tire and car that felt a lot more unstable, swaying as you put it. I found out that tire need to be break in for at least 500 miles. So no flooring that gas pedal and baby those new tire.

For me, the swaying start getting noticeably better at around 2000 miles mark on the tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
F235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Quote:

Your tire might be too fresh. I posted a similar issue I had with fresh tire and car that felt a lot more unstable, swaying as you put it. I found out that tire need to be break in for at least 500 miles. So no flooring that gas pedal and baby those new tire.

For me, the swaying start getting noticeably better at around 2000 miles mark on the tire.

Thank you for the input, what tires are you running if you don't mind asking? And do you think upgrading to a high quality brand would eliminate it?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

" shop told me I needed an "roadside alignment" or some bs "

did they say ' roadforce balance ' ?

Did you get 4 new tires ?

Everything Ajowhan said, your part about driving over painted road and feeling slipping sure does allude to tire contact as the cause. a few hundred miles of driving should wear off mold release chemicals and add some scruff for better feel.

Really good proper speed rated tires are the best performance upgrade you can make.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:32 PM   #5
F235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
" shop told me I needed an "roadside alignment" or some bs "

did they say ' roadforce balance ' ?

Did you get 4 new tires ?

Everything Ajowhan said, your part about driving over painted road and feeling slipping sure does allude to tire contact as the cause. a few hundred miles of driving should wear off mold release chemicals and add some scruff for better feel.
I only replaced the rear 2 as I only caught the flat on my rear right. The thing is, the car sways too much, I've never experienced as much from just tires? I think they said roadforce balance, they said the subframe was messed with when they did the alignment in Miami, I snapped a picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #6
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I only replaced the rear 2 as I only caught the flat on my rear right. The thing is, the car sways too much, I've never experienced as much from just tires? I think they said roadforce balance, they said the subframe was messed with when they did the alignment in Miami, I snapped a picture
I run Michelin pilot sport 4s, Im not too sure to be honest.

The cheapest tire I have ever run was a Lexani (Goes for a lil less than $100 a piece) on a lexus is 250 and back then I dont have any problem running 110-120mph.

Yup, I have also never experienced that much sway from just tires. I was very surprised myself since this is not the first time I have fresh tires. The other things to be taken into consideration is that, some facebook group have mentioned that they run into similar issue when replacing only 2 out of 4 tires, others mentioned this is not the case for them.

Mine is a lil unique because, when I replaced only 2 of mine. My car traction/stability control was actually lighting up in corner and my ABS was working extra hard even on light corner. I then found a small bubble on my front left tire. I end up replacing my front 2 about 1-2 weeks after the rear 2, so now I have all 4 sides new tire. With that said, I was still experiencing swaying with all 4 new tires till roughly about 2000 miles on my rear and 1500 on my front ish.

I have never heard of subframe damaged while doing alignment so I can't comment much. But if your swaying is anything like mine, Im hoping it get better for you as you break the tire in. Once again, Im just as bewildered as you even now how much change can a car feels just by going to a new tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #7
F235i
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The cheapest tire I have ever run was a Lexani (Goes for a lil less than $100 a piece) on a lexus is 250 and back then I dont have any problem running 110-120mph.

Yup, I have also never experienced that much sway from just tires. I was very surprised myself since this is not the first time I have fresh tires. The other things to be taken into consideration is that, some facebook group have mentioned that they run into similar issue when replacing only 2 out of 4 tires, others mentioned this is not the case for them.

Mine is a lil unique because, when I replaced only 2 of mine. My car traction/stability control was actually lighting up in corner and my ABS was working extra hard even on light corner. I then found a small bubble on my front left tire. I end up replacing my front 2 about 1-2 weeks after the rear 2, so now I have all 4 sides new tire. With that said, I was still experiencing swaying with all 4 new tires till roughly about 2000 miles on my rear and 1500 on my front ish.

I have never heard of subframe damaged while doing alignment so I can't comment much. But if your swaying is anything like mine, Im hoping it get better for you as you break the tire in. Once again, Im just as bewildered as you even now how much change can a car feels just by going to a new tire.
I appreciate the feedback, I'm gonna give it a shot and do the break in, see if it gets any better, gonna have it checked out by a shop 1 more time and let you guys know
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:

I put a fresh set of square 255/35-18 PS4S' on my car last year with no noticeable issues. The car drove just like always after they went on.

Although I don't think it was relevant to my situation, the balancing was done on a Hunter Road ForceŽ Elite Wheel Balancer at the go-to shop in my region.

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback, I'm gonna give it a shot and do the break in, see if it gets any better, gonna have it checked out by a shop 1 more time and let you guys know
If I could make a suggestion, try a dealer or a shop that regularly works on late-model BMWs. In my experience, this is a group of high-quality BMW-specific shops: https://www.bimrs.org/find-a-shop.html.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
F235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:

I put a fresh set of square 255/35-18 PS4S' on my car last year with no noticeable issues. The car drove just like always after they went on.

Although I don't think it was relevant to my situation, the balancing was done on a Hunter Road Force® Elite Wheel Balancer at the go-to shop in my region.

Quote:
If I could make a suggestion, try a dealer or a shop that regularly works on late-model BMWs. In my experience, this is a group of high-quality BMW-specific shops: https://www.bimrs.org/find-a-shop.html.
I ended up taking it a alignment shop recommended by another bmw owner near me, they only charged $70 for the alignment and fixed all the swaying I was feeling, my whole right side was off apparently not by a lot either but they got it feeling as it should finally.. crazy how bmw dealerships and other shops told me its either my tires or something much worse. Probably trying to get me to spend money on non sense lol
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      05-03-2022, 06:22 PM   #10
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I ended up taking it a alignment shop recommended by another bmw owner near me, they only charged $70 for the alignment and fixed all the swaying I was feeling, my whole right side was off apparently not by a lot either but they got it feeling as it should finally.. crazy how bmw dealerships and other shops told me its either my tires or something much worse. Probably trying to get me to spend money on non sense lol
Any idea what the alignment is for you now and what it was before when you swayed?

Mine is

-0.8 camber -1.1
6.8 caster 6.8
0.03 toe 0.02

rear

-1.6 camber -1.5
0.12 toe 0.13
Appreciate 0