THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dash Cluster Retrofit Help

04-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Dash Cluster Retrofit Help

I have a 2017 F48 X1, but posting here because there is way more familiarity here with cluster upgrades, and the F48 uses the same cluster.

I decided to "go for it" - installing a "basis" level cluster that does not have expanded content, hoping to avoid coding.

The cluster is factory new.
My 2017 X1 has retrofitted NBT EVO with 10" touch screen. When this was done, among the coding challenges is that it had to be re-coded for my "basis" level instrument cluster - so I anticipated this cluster to work as my original one did

I plugged the new cluster in; it illuminated and began giving a series of error messages. My idrive also showed a 16 error messages - mostly related to service related stuff, setting the clock, but also "instrument cluster error". Another oddity as that suddenly my HVAC controls and idrive were suddenly reading out in metric. When I started the car, the tach and spedometer remained at zero. The odometer reading remained at zero.

Is there a procedure I need to do to "reset" things, so the new cluster is recognized? (still hoping to avoided coding)

Thanks for any help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:02 AM   #2
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

hi you will need to code vo code this via esys. no way to do it without . if you look online and on youtube should be plenty of videos showing how. if your searching on forum its the same process people use to code used ecu
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #3
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Thanks for confirming this. Over in the f48 forum there is a thread saying this is plug and play which led me to think there was hope, glad to know now for sure it isn’t. Will look for some guides on how to do this, ideally will try to do myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 08:21 PM   #4
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep

this should give you an idea
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...2&d=1377379630
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep

also i would only vo code the kombi, ignore any guides you see online about vo coding the headunit as well
Appreciate 0