THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Randy Pobst: 8 Speed Secrets

07-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Randy Pobst: 8 Speed Secrets

I'm tossing all my old track stuff and came across an article by Randy Pobst that I'd cut out of Grassroots Motorsports years ago. Here it is, apparently reprinted in May of this year: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...ts-8-speed-se/.

Randy's stuff is always worth a read.
Appreciate 3
Maynard3846.50
E46ZHP254.00
SoftShoe157.50
      07-05-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Thanks for putting this up. I remember this, but second time around it has new info I wasn't really ready for the first go-round (I think back then I was still at the 'hydrate and get a solid seat' level). Really starting to focus in on that end of braking and transition onto the throttle, especially in the new RWD car.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4371.50
      07-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Thanks for putting this up. I remember this, but second time around it has new info I wasn't really ready for the first go-round (I think back then I was still at the 'hydrate and get a solid seat' level). Really starting to focus in on that end of braking and transition onto the throttle, especially in the new RWD car.
There's a wealth of hard-won, practical advice in that short piece, isn't there. I just read it again and had these thoughts:

7 – "Once I’m tied to the car, I can drive with just a light touch on the wheel."

This has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. When you're locked into position in the car, steering wheel manipulation becomes remarkably easier. You can turn very fast laps while holding the wheel very lightly indeed. Being that relaxed while going fast enables the driver to react very quickly when necessary.

3 – "...slowly off the brake and lightly on the gas. I aim to make that move undetectable. The tire must not feel the transition. Smoooooth."

Note that for drivers at Pobst's level "slowly off the brake" and "lightly on the gas" are transitions that take place in a relatively short amount of time. I've had the chance to observe this when reviewing a pro driver's data. Before the "slowly off the brake" occurs braking has been very hard, with any required trail-braking/brake-steering ending just before taking a tenth or two to come smoothly off the brakes. That keeps the car balanced, making further turning or going to the throttle more efficient than if the driver had finished braking by jumping off them at the end, even if only a little. After "lightly on the gas" comes full throttle just as quickly and smoothly as the driver is willing and the car and its tires will permit.

2 – Pobst mentions Miatas. FWIW, racing (Spec) Miatas are light cars with ~125 RWHP.

If you ever feel the need for a dose of humility, take a look at the Spec Miata record for the track you're driving. Years ago, it was 2:18 at the Glen, a very high-speed track; it's probably a bit lower now. Spec Miata track records are most impressive on handling tracks. Brakes last forever on a properly driven Miata; wouldn't it be nice to just stay on the gas...everywhere!?!

1 – "As driving guru Terry Earwood says, 'If the car’s not going where you want, why would you want to go there faster?'"

My favorite all-time pro driver quote, most applicable to those of us who experience that feeling of "When in doubt, give it more gas!"

Last edited by dradernh; 07-07-2021 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3846.50
E46ZHP254.00
      07-08-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

A big piece for me was the discussion of differing approaches to the corner, since I'm switching up from AWD 'momentum' to RWD higher powered. Gonna be applying that patience in and getting turned earlier for the track out. And also working the smooth transition from brakes to accelleration (along with when/how coming off the brakes).
Appreciate 1
dradernh4371.50