THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Strange noises/vibrations on my m235i

06-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
ahakim24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I XDRIVE

Garage List
Exclamation Strange noises/vibrations on my m235i

This is going to be long but i need help. so you might've seen my post a few weeks ago regarding brake shuddering. i replaced the front brakes since then and now I'm not having brake fade issues but i am still having the shuddering and more which leads me to think it wasn't braking related but more like something else in the drivetrain. here are my symptoms that i have going on right now and i have no clue if they are related but any input would be super helpful.

- when braking the car pulls to the right. my alignment is ok but my camber is off on one side (i still am unaware of why)

- there is a speed/rotation related rhythmic noise. its not really a click its more like a rubbing noise i guess that can be heard with each rotation. it is fairly quiet but still concerning.

-this one is what i am very concerned with. when I'm accelerating on the highway there can be a vibration that seems to be coming from the rear end but it can slightly be felt through the steering wheel. its not always there so it comes and goes. it is also accompanied with a almost grinding noise/ feeling that is more noticeable when taking a "corner" on the highway but isn't turning exclusive if that makes sense.

- after consistently going a speed on the highway the car "rocks" almost like a boat. i thought this might've been a bent wheel but the issue is still present on my new wheels.

Ive read some other posts that make me think that these might be differential, differential bushing, axle shaft or wheel bearing related but I'm not 100% sure. any help will be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahakim24 View Post
This is going to be long but i need help. so you might've seen my post a few weeks ago regarding brake shuddering. i replaced the front brakes since then and now I'm not having brake fade issues but i am still having the shuddering and more which leads me to think it wasn't braking related but more like something else in the drivetrain. here are my symptoms that i have going on right now and i have no clue if they are related but any input would be super helpful.

- when braking the car pulls to the right. my alignment is ok but my camber is off on one side (i still am unaware of why)

- there is a speed/rotation related rhythmic noise. its not really a click its more like a rubbing noise i guess that can be heard with each rotation. it is fairly quiet but still concerning.

-this one is what i am very concerned with. when I'm accelerating on the highway there can be a vibration that seems to be coming from the rear end but it can slightly be felt through the steering wheel. its not always there so it comes and goes. it is also accompanied with a almost grinding noise/ feeling that is more noticeable when taking a "corner" on the highway but isn't turning exclusive if that makes sense.

- after consistently going a speed on the highway the car "rocks" almost like a boat. i thought this might've been a bent wheel but the issue is still present on my new wheels.

Ive read some other posts that make me think that these might be differential, differential bushing, axle shaft or wheel bearing related but I'm not 100% sure. any help will be much appreciated
My 1000 ft diagnosis: Take a look at your thrust arms aka tension struts on the front axle. The symptoms you are reporting are often attributed to thrust arm failure.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
ahakim24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I XDRIVE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Boat View Post
My 1000 ft diagnosis: Take a look at your thrust arms aka tension struts on the front axle. The symptoms you are reporting are often attributed to thrust arm failure.
interesting, ill check it out thank you! if anyone else has their possible diagnosis im still interested. im sure its hard to say without driving the car.
Appreciate 0