THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Passive dampers what strut mounts to use for m235i

06-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #1
knoteasy25
Private
Rep
Drives: m235 white manual

Passive dampers what strut mounts to use for m235i

Anyone using passive dampers either coilovers or dampers and springs did you reuse the standard strut mounts for m235i?
Regards
Marlon
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heyo!

Short answer is yes. Many folks have reused stock mounts and have no issues.

With that said, I would replace the strut mounts when you swap out the suspension, whatever combo you go with. I am in the same boat as my B16 co's landed yesterday. I went around the tree a million times trying to decide what to do about the mounts.

In the end I went with new, stock mounts as I simply have no need for adjustable plates other than to fit the front wheels I want to use. And that is just another rabbit hole of money and modifying the car into a race car that is driven 6 miles to work. It simply didn't add up for me.

The reason I went with new (trust me, I didn't want to spend the money) is putting on the old mounts with 45k miles is to ensure the new suspension set up is fresh, and working like it should (safely). The new suspension will be mildly stiffer, and old mounts have been known to blowout after suspension mods. Not to mention the old mounts will be softer and probably mildly dried out. Maybe I am being overly cautious.

Ha. Sorry for the wall of words. But I hope this might help send you in the right direction. I am sure others will chime in soon with their ideas.

Good luck!
josh
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
knoteasy25
Private
Rep
Drives: m235 white manual

Thanks a lot Josh. I want to replace with new mounts. I’ve made that decision. I think the current issue is which mounts to use because there seems to be two options for m235i mounts for passive and mounts for adaptive dampers max stock mounts would be for adaptive dampers and I don’t know if I should change them to mounts for passive dampers since the new struts will be passive. I guess if I knew the actual difference between the two factory mounts I’d have a better understanding.
Thanks again
Appreciate 0