THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Retain TPMS but suppress errors/warnings?

05-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
ifobd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive

Id like to retain my TPMS and temp functionality, but suppress the warnings on startup.

I've searched the forum but can only find how to completely disable TPMS which I dont want to do.

For reference I have 3 sets of wheels, 2 sets have TMPS. One set I need to occasionally run really low cold pressures and need to stay out of limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifobd View Post
Id like to retain my TPMS and temp functionality, but suppress the warnings on startup.

I've searched the forum but can only find how to completely disable TPMS which I dont want to do.

For reference I have 3 sets of wheels, 2 sets have TMPS. One set I need to occasionally run really low cold pressures and need to stay out of limp mode.
You just reset the sensor on iDrive every time you swap wheels and that's it
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      05-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
ifobd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

I havent had any issues swapping between the 2 sets with TPMS. It all works great. Im wondering when i run the set without tpms if I can code out or surpress the warnings and errors for the non-tpms set?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I havent had any issues swapping between the 2 sets with TPMS. It all works great. Im wondering when i run the set without tpms if I can code out or surpress the warnings and errors for the non-tpms set?
Oh I see. Yes I think you can code the tpms off but then you need to code it back when you switch back to the wheels with tpms else you will get no readings as is like if the car believes it has no sensors
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
BeautyInMotionF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,E92,F22

Met a guy at the track who tossed 4 sensors in a PVC pipe then pressurized it to 38psi and kept it in his trunk. Not saying that should be your solution just that it was an interesting one.
Appreciate 1
ifobd32.00
      05-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyInMotionF22 View Post
Met a guy at the track who tossed 4 sensors in a PVC pipe then pressurized it to 38psi and kept it in his trunk. Not saying that should be your solution just that it was an interesting one.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyInMotionF22 View Post
Probably wouldn't work in a current BMW, as the sensors need to be close to the antennas near the wheel wells to correlate to each wheel position in the car. Fitting sensors through a 2" PVC plumbing blanking cap and bonding a small bit of 2" tube and another cap would probably work for each wheel position, when attached to the body near the wheel.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      05-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
ifobd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh I see. Yes I think you can code the tpms off but then you need to code it back when you switch back to the wheels with tpms else you will get no readings as is like if the car believes it has no sensors
Yeah. Would prefer to keep TPMS on, and just suppress the dash warnings as I swap wheels regularly.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #9
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I went this route they are cheep and work well for my winter set up my local mechanic broke the beads on the tire / wheels for $20 and i used a block of wood between the wheel and tire so I could install the sensor you figure all in under $18 per wheel for the sensors installed. No coding needed and no dash warning lights
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BWM-I3-....m46890.l49292
I have had them now for 2 years and no problems
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #10
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

If the non-sensor set are your track tires, I would suggest getting sensors for them. Seeing the temps and pressures on my track tires is huge for me. I bring up the TPMS display as part of my pre-track checklist, monitor temps while on track, and note the pressures when coming off. I know immediately what my hot pressures are and if I need to bleed down between sessions. And watching the temps will tell you if you are pushing the fronts too hard, and help correlate when they are getting greasy and just being more aware of tire use.

As others have noted, if you go after-market, they are not that expensive. And the BMW system will not alert on low pressures if you reset them at that level. It's a difference from the set level, not an absolute value that they alert on. I routinely start at 26 psi cold on track day mornings.
Appreciate 0