THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video: Thunderhill 3mi

01-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Video: Thunderhill 3mi

Really, searching for Thundrehill here only shows a handful of threads? I'm surprised, the track is way more popular than that. Let's start a video thread for the typical 3mi config then...

Here's a video from this weekend. It does look pretty tame and leaves some time on the table, but gives you an idea what our cars are capable of...

First time I've brought the 2er there since my covid upgrade spree (mostly weight reduction, fancy MCS shocks, very stiff springs). Car feels really well dialed now -- it's wonderfully neutral, and stepping out is a very progressive affair.

Bonus point, we stayed at the track an extra day and got some Very Necessary skidpad drills in. Because... what else is there to do with old track tires?

Last edited by msendit; 01-31-2021 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
dradernh4179.00
mdf278.50
      01-31-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Nice – thanks for posting! The car's suspension appears to be very responsive to your inputs. When you're on a track where jumping curbs is the quick way around, my experience is that there's nothing like motorsport-quality shocks to make those transitions a piece of cake.

From what I've seen here on 2addicts, there aren't very many owners doing track days, and even fewer are creating and posting videos of their laps. I wish there were more.

I think many owners aren't aware of what they're missing by not attending track days at their local race tracks. The opportunities offered at those events are so much more than a driver will ever realize from his or her car on public roads. It's a shame that videos convey only a modest impression of what a lap on the track is really like, and that's regardless of the car running the lap.

Last edited by dradernh; 01-31-2021 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
msendit415.50
      02-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Nice – thanks for posting! The car's suspension appears to be very responsive to your inputs. When you're on a track where jumping curbs is the quick way around, my experience is that there's nothing like motorsport-quality shocks to make those transitions a piece of cake.

From what I've seen here on 2addicts, there aren't very many owners doing track days, and even fewer are creating and posting videos of their laps. I wish there were more.

I think many owners aren't aware of what they're missing by not attending track days at their local race tracks. The opportunities offered at those events are so much more than a driver will ever realize from his or her car on public roads. It's a shame that videos convey only a modest impression of what a lap on the track is really like, and that's regardless of the car running the lap.
Agree. My 230i was first sportier car Ive owned and when I bought it I didn't even know what tracking was about. I just fell into tracking and now I'm totally hooked. Our cars are so capable and like you said few owners ever take them out on a track. My first season was on runlets. Second season MPSS and upgrade to M sport brakes and HPS pads. Thinking suspension might be next. PittRace, Mid Ohio, Nelson Ledges, NCM this summer. Very excited.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      02-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car's suspension appears to be very responsive to your inputs. When you're on a track where jumping curbs is the quick way around, my experience is that there's nothing like motorsport-quality shocks to make those transitions a piece of cake.
Yeah, I'm starting to appreciate good motorsport shocks more and more. It was a pretty stark difference for me especially because the previous set was slowly going bad. Just before they finally let go, the car felt as damped as a 60s cadillac.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Slightly different Thunderhill video from this weekend. It was 100-some degrees and the Toyo RRs I was trying out didn't seem to like that. So... I slid around like noone's business...

Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: NA

How weight were you able to remove?

MCS look nice. Very nice. I just ordered B14's. Non adjustable, excellent price. Same springs as B16's.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjedi View Post
How weight were you able to remove?
Since stock? Probably around 250-300 lbs. I have a few notes on the things I bothered to weigh here.

Last edited by msendit; 08-11-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #8
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I bet it made a big difference in how the car drives. That much weight will be felt.

This is an extreme weight loss car. I think he said it started to cost about $100/pound.

He looks at everything as possible weight loss:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1971-911s.html
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

A thread on lighter 2 series cars:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27784789
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #10
matter57
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:

What you're saying is so true about people not knowing what they're missing. I'm just getting into car driving here in the PNW but I come from riding motorcycle track days for the past 13 years. I do about 20 track days a year and I can say unequivocally that riders become faster, safer and far more skilled than riders who don't track. The controlled environment, focus, like minded community and of course the coaching makes it an incredibly fun and educational experience. I usually get 7-10 days of 1 on 1 coaching with bikes and plan on doing similar in my car. Oh, and my motorcycle track skills are all almost all 100% transferable to cars. Everything except body position. Track driving is huge fun and yeah, everybody should try it....then welcome to your new addiction.
2015 228i w/track package, MCS 2 way NonRemote Dampers, new bmw long block, VRSF catless downpipe, AR Mtrsports oil pan baffle, Ground Control camber plates, Apex ARC-8 18 x8.5 wheels, ET45 with 5mm spacer in front only, Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      04-04-2023, 02:58 AM   #11
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

<taps mic> this forum thing still on?

Here's another quick thunderhill video.