THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What's faster than an M235i xdrive? (At Altitude)

07-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #23
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

If you want a sports car, go for the STI/EVO. If you want a car that's classier and more comfortable, go for the M235.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #24
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoWilly View Post
Go to TFLcar.com...these guys liven Boulder, CO and perform 0-60 runs all the time. Yes, the NA cars and most other cars are significantly slower at our 6,000 feet ASL. I have run my convertible M235 (stock) at 0-60 in 5.0 secs and the quarter in 13.1. The coupe should be a little faster due to weight savings.
Did you really just recommend TFLcar.com? Grounds for permanent ban.. Sure they test at high alt.. but they suck.. worst group of reviewers (if you want to call them that) on earth.
      07-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #25
SmoWilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Just showing a fellow poster an option if they wanted to see some high altitude testing...I don't know of any other source and the magazines can't be believed.

I agree they do some weird things but for us at ASL it helps see what kind of real performance we'll achieve.

Most reviewers drain the tank, change tire pressures, empty vehicles of spare tires, run on a special track and are at sea level to get their 0-60 times...not a true test.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
not true.

NA cars will lose far more power at elevation then cars with tubro.
absolutely true, NA cars will lose more power at altitude.

As air gets thinner, there is less resistance on the turbo impeller so I can spin faster and force almost as much air into the engine. That is why turbochargers were originally vital for aircraft flying at altitude.

A non X drive M235i at altitude will be faster as it is lighter than X version.

The M235i is very heavy already, I really wouldn't add AWD unless I really had to!
Just 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
Zachman1750
Rep
Drives: 2014 Charger RT+ AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

As air gets thinner, there is less resistance on the turbo impeller so I can spin faster and force almost as much air into the engine. That is why turbochargers were originally vital for aircraft flying at altitude.

The M235i is very heavy already, I really wouldn't add AWD unless I really had to!
Just 2 cents.
Thanks for the input! Just curious as to why you would say that a non-xdrive m235i would be faster at altitude? An xdrive will generally pull a better 0-60 and quarter mile at sea level, so what would change that at altitude?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #28
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:

Just 2 cents.
did you actually read what I wrote?

"NA cars will lose far more power at elevation then cars with tubro"

A car without a turbo will lose MORE power at elevation then a car with a turbo.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #29
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachman1750 View Post
Thanks for the input! Just curious as to why you would say that a non-xdrive m235i would be faster at altitude? An xdrive will generally pull a better 0-60 and quarter mile at sea level, so what would change that at altitude?
I think his logic being that the xdrive weighs more, it won't be as fast. I feel like the added traction of the xdrive would at least make up for the added weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #30
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

N
Quote:

Generally, turbochargers have waste gates that allow variable amounts of exhaust gases to bypass the exhaust-side impeller. As altitude increases and the air becomes thinner, the waste gate gradually closes which spins the turbo faster. Increasing the RPM of the turbo compensates for thinner and thinner air.

As to the aircraft turbos, they are large enough to allow the engine to develope sea level rated HP to very high altitudes; sometimes over 20,000 feet. Obviously, that much turbo capacity is not needed on car engines. I imagine they seldom go above 10 or 12 thousand feet.

With our turbo cars, the necessary boost is controlled by the computer and a myriad of sensors, so it automatic. With most aircraft, the pilot must monitor a manifold pressure gauge and periodically increase the throttle as manifold pressure gradually decreases during climb. Gradually increasing throttle gradually closes the turbo waste gate. Once the waste gate is fully closed, the engine will then gradually lose HP as altitude continues to increase.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
did you actually read what I wrote?

"NA cars will lose far more power at elevation then cars with tubro"

A car without a turbo will lose MORE power at elevation then a car with a turbo.

Yes, I agreed and added a couple more thoughts.

Did YOU read my post? Is basically agrees with you??

???

Last edited by nachob; 07-19-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #32
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I think his logic being that the xdrive weighs more, it won't be as fast. I feel like the added traction of the xdrive would at least make up for the added weight.
X drive might have an advantage in some launching situations but in a rolling situation where 99 44/100 of the time, the extra weight will probably slow you down and the car is already too heavy. Adding weight will also take away some of the handling "feel."

So you are sacrificing fuel mileage, feel, performance and adding purchase and maintenance costs for just a little extra launching traction.

Unless you live in bad weather, I don't think it's worth the sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #33
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Any car that is faster at sea level than the M235i will be faster at elevation...just a little slower overall. Wont be many at that price point...if any.
Obviously you failed High school physics. If not elementary studies. Seriously are you kidding?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #34
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Any car that is faster at sea level than the M235i will be faster at elevation...just a little slower overall. Wont be many at that price point...if any.
Obviously you failed High school physics. If not elementary studies. Seriously are you kidding?
Yes tke is correct. A normally aspirated car at sea level might be faster but a very high elevations you can have a significant power loss due to thinner air. The turbo car (m235) will have an advantage providing performance was close to start with. If you had two turbo cars at sea level then things would be equal at elevation. That would probably be true.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #35
its_paul
Registered
Rep
Drives: Still Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones_balboa View Post
A Golf R would be in the ballpark.
This x2. With a Stage 1 tune and it would destroy a lot of cars. I seriously considered it for a bit but prefer the 235's body styling.
Appreciate 0