THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (B58)

05-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #89
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Ok I just installed today. Went for a initial spin and so far I can say I feel the power but suspicious about power delivery throughout the band.

First, installation was pretty easy. I am a novice hardware guy - but was able to get it installed. I did chip a sensor stopper so be careful when taking them off. However (thankfully) the Dsport was able to snap into place securely.

The engine bay looks little different from what Dinan has on their site, we have to remove the battery cover to be able to zip tie the Dsport Module.

The app is really cool and handy but it is half baked. There are two apps- make sure to download the one called "D-Sport".

You dont have to do anything to connect - super easy but worried about security - technically I think anyone close enough to my car can change settings. I am not sure how Dinan is preventing that.

I am not sure what the two toggles mean. There is one at top, and one on the bottom. The top toggle removes the option to chose which mode you are in. The bottom toggle is a toggler. What I am missing is how do I know which app is active? I see the PSI but does it set right away? Over time? When I click the top toggle?

I went back and forth on the fly a few times and couldnt tell if it instantaneous.

Anyway - to performance....

My tires are chirping and the car flies! I only tried up to Sport mode for now.

So first drive Pros:

Car is faster and you feel the power
Can change PSI with app (love this over the JB+)
No CEL Codes or any errors
Easy Install

Cons:

App UX leaves something more to be desired.
***Power delivery isn't smooth on Sport mode. This could be that I need to break in the mode. At about 3k RPM keeping accelerator constant - you get a jump an I feel a lot of boost come in at once. I would have liked to see more smooth power delivery.

Can anyone confirm a break in time in miles for when changing modes? Maybe let the ECU adapt to the new boost?

My mods in addition to the DinanTronics Sport:

BMS Intake
Dinan Mid Pipe
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #90
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Hi,

Please keep us updated on teh power delivery issue. I want ot smooth and now are thinking of reselling the sport unit I just got (as unopened it better than used).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #91
Jim240
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
Ok I just installed today. Went for a initial spin and so far I can say I feel the power but suspicious about power delivery throughout the band.

First, installation was pretty easy. I am a novice hardware guy - but was able to get it installed. I did chip a sensor stopper so be careful when taking them off. However (thankfully) the Dsport was able to snap into place securely.

The engine bay looks little different from what Dinan has on their site, we have to remove the battery cover to be able to zip tie the Dsport Module.

The app is really cool and handy but it is half baked. There are two apps- make sure to download the one called "D-Sport".

You dont have to do anything to connect - super easy but worried about security - technically I think anyone close enough to my car can change settings. I am not sure how Dinan is preventing that.

I am not sure what the two toggles mean. There is one at top, and one on the bottom. The top toggle removes the option to chose which mode you are in. The bottom toggle is a toggler. What I am missing is how do I know which app is active? I see the PSI but does it set right away? Over time? When I click the top toggle?

I went back and forth on the fly a few times and couldnt tell if it instantaneous.

So first drive Pros:

Easy Install

Cons:

***Power delivery isn't smooth on Sport mode. This could be that I need to break in the mode. At about 3k RPM keeping accelerator constant - you get a jump an I feel a lot of boost come in at once. I would have liked to see more smooth power delivery.

Can anyone confirm a break in time in miles for when changing modes? Maybe let the ECU adapt to the new boost?

BMS Intake
Dinan Mid Pipe
I installed the Elite on my 240 a month ago and noticed the same non-linear acceleration. When speaking with Dinan, they explained that the car needs its turbos spun up some in order to generate the extra boost pressure (2500-3000 RPM). While that behavior exists even without the unit, having the unit makes it much more noticeable.

I'm at 2600 miles now so the training wheels are off. Not sure about the Sport, but the Elite turns the car into a little rocket.
      05-17-2017, 01:47 AM   #92
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim240 View Post
Quote:

So first drive Pros:

Easy Install

Cons:

BMS Intake
Dinan Mid Pipe
I installed the Elite on my 240 a month ago and noticed the same non-linear acceleration. When speaking with Dinan, they explained that the car needs its turbos spun up some in order to generate the extra boost pressure (2500-3000 RPM). While that behavior exists even without the unit, having the unit makes it much more noticeable.

I'm at 2600 miles now so the training wheels are off. Not sure about the Sport, but the Elite turns the car into a little rocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Hi,

Please keep us updated on teh power delivery issue. I want ot smooth and now are thinking of reselling the sport unit I just got (as unopened it better than used).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim240 View Post
Quote:

So first drive Pros:

Easy Install

Cons:

BMS Intake
Dinan Mid Pipe

Well the good news is it has gotten better driving another 100 or so miles on it (and not changing maps). The bad news - it's still happening and I can't replicate.

Here are thoughts:

- WOT I have no issues. The car is so quick that I can't notice it if it's happening :

- There are two types of non-linear acceleration I experience.
1. Spirited driving but not WOT - I experience boost come on at 2.5-3k.
and the one that bother me most is
2. 10-20% throttle between 2-4k rpm I get "jittery" acceleration. I feel boost come on then off then on then off and the car is "jumping". The problem is I can't replicate it. But it is happening less often now. Mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear.

- I totally believe that the ECU needs 50 miles after you set it to a mode to adapt to the new conditions.

- this may be in my head, but I was on shell 91 gas experiencing the issues. I just refilled my tank with Chevron 91 and haven't experienced jittery acceleration yet. This may be due to the miles driven to let the ECU adapt or it may be the gas type - just another data point.

- After experiencing the power delivery concern s, got me thinking- has anyone created an ECU flash for the 240? That would be the best way to get smooth delivery and proper tuning for our cars.

- +2 psi is smoother than +3psi. I haven't tried Race mode yet.

- Tune does add that extra power and a big plus on the price point.

I wouldn't buy the Dinan Elite as after my mid pipe and intake, I'm not going to be doing any other performance mods. Maybe exhaust/muffler down the road but that would be it.

Same goes for JB4. I might be inclined to try out the JB+ but I suspect it's going to be the same or worse than the Dinan tune as the Dinan taps into two sensors. That said, it would be a lot easier installing and uninstalling the JB+. No zip ties, and just one sensor on the front of the engine bay.

I'm going to look into who does flashing. Would be nice if I could flash myself via OBD2. I would pay 1k for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #93
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Same goes for JB4. I might be inclined to try out the JB+ but I suspect it's going to be the same or worse than the Dinan tune as the Dinan taps into two sensors. That said, it would be a lot easier installing and uninstalling the JB+. No zip ties, and just one sensor on the front of the engine bay.

I'm going to look into who does flashing. Would be nice if I could flash myself via OBD2. I would pay 1k for that.
I have the JB4 and when I was stock, the power delivery on map 1 was nice and smooth imo under all conditions that you mentioned. After adding the CAI, oil catch, catless DP, resonated midpipe and remus exhaust, switched to map 2 I get the surge of power at 2.5k-3k. I think it's more associated with map 2, but I haven't tried switching back to map 1 with the mods to find out yet. I have to much fun with map 2 to be honest. Also, JB4 also connects to 2 sensors on the 240. 3 if you want to include the OBD2 connection. 4 if you want to include the EWG and running meth
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2017, 02:54 AM   #94
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Quote:

I have the JB4 and when I was stock, the power delivery on map 1 was nice and smooth imo under all conditions that you mentioned. After adding the CAI, oil catch, catless DP, resonated midpipe and remus exhaust, switched to map 2 I get the surge of power at 2.5k-3k. I think it's more associated with map 2, but I haven't tried switching back to map 1 with the mods to find out yet. I have to much fun with map 2 to be honest. Also, JB4 also connects to 2 sensors on the 240. 3 if you want to include the OBD2 connection. 4 if you want to include the EWG and running meth
Yeah, I was talking about the JB+

That's encouraging to hear about the JB4 map1.

I might go that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #95
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Day 3 update:

The tune definitely needs about 30-50 miles between changing modes for the ECU to adapt.

The power deliver has gotten smoother and the jittery acceleration is gone.

I still do experience the 2.5-3k boost come on in a non linear fashion but even that has become smoother leaving it on one setting.

I've been testing and enjoying +2 psi mode ( forgot what it's called)

I'll try +3 psi next and see if I get some non linear acceleration experiences and how long it takes for the car to adapt.

Also a weird side effect after installing the tune is that my Dinan mid pipe mod is more quite than it was without the tune. I lost some of the pops and burbles. Could be normal and after breaking in the mid pipe or could be the tune. Either way.... Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 12:06 AM   #96
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Day4 update.

Switched to sport+ (+3psi) and wholly jittery jumpy acceleration.

I drove around in circles for about 10 miles and acceleration started becoming smoother but not quite there.

I'll drive more tomorrow and report back to see how many miles it takes for the ECU to adapt

Sport+ feels significantly faster than the sport though it's only 1 psi more.

Anyone else running the dinantronics? I feel like I'm having a conversation with myself here
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #97
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Day4 update.

I drove around in circles for about 10 miles and acceleration started becoming smoother but not quite there.

I'll drive more tomorrow and report back to see how many miles it takes for the ECU to adapt

Anyone else running the dinantronics? I feel like I'm having a conversation with myself here
Quote:
Day4 update.

I get mine tomorrow so will have time to test over the weekend. Hoping the install is easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #98
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Day4 update.

I have the exact same experience with it. +3 feels a lot faster tan +2, but driveability suffers. I have settled on +2. Nice performance improvement, limited driveability impact. Sweet spot.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #99
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:
Day4 update.

I have the exact same experience with it. +3 feels a lot faster tan +2, but driveability suffers. I have settled on +2. Nice performance improvement, limited driveability impact. Sweet spot.
Sport+ (+3 boost) is super tourney by the jumpiness calms down after the ECU adapts. Takes about 30 miles by my count to adapt to each mode.

Sport+ vs Sport. The Sport+ feels significantly faster but also you feel that non liner acceleration more so than Sport. Both a great. I might hone in on Sport for daily driving and Sport+ on occasion. I wish there wasn't a 30 mile drive buffer for the ECU to adapt but such is with piggyback tunes.

I'm gonna check out valet mode for the hell of it. Then I'll try Race.

Lastly- seems like the higher the boost I go, the more it negatively impacts my Dinan mid pipe sound. Weird. Huh?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #100
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sport+ (+3 boost) is super tourney by the jumpiness calms down after the ECU adapts. Takes about 30 miles by my count to adapt to each mode.

Sport+ vs Sport. The Sport+ feels significantly faster but also you feel that non liner acceleration more so than Sport. Both a great. I might hone in on Sport for daily driving and Sport+ on occasion. I wish there wasn't a 30 mile drive buffer for the ECU to adapt but such is with piggyback tunes.

I'm gonna check out valet mode for the hell of it. Then I'll try Race.

Lastly- seems like the higher the boost I go, the more it negatively impacts my Dinan mid pipe sound. Weird. Huh?
Yeah, I occasionally try +3 as well, but usually go back to +2.
And, yes boost level negatively affecting exhaust sound is very weird.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #101
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
let mw know if you experience any differences in sound when you throw your mid pipe on
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #102
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
let mw know if you experience any differences in sound when you throw your mid pipe on
How did you get this pin out?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #103
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Its the one on the bottom of your pick. Pull the white tab out one click. Then you gotta pull/wiggle it off. It's a little tough but it will pull off if you keep pulling

That picture is rotated, right, meaning it's not how you see it while looking at the engine
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      05-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #104
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Yea looks like the front connector before the throttle body. I use a small flat head to push the white clip down a little and the push it out 1 click. Fat fingers make it hard to mess with small clips >.<
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      05-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #105
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Its the one on the bottom of your pick. Pull the white tab out one click. Then you gotta pull/wiggle it off. It's a little tough but it will pull off if you keep pulling

That picture is rotated, right, meaning it's not how you see it while looking at the engine
Thanks for the advise, the flat head helped

I did have to remove the batter cover and mount the dinan there.

I had a bit of trouble getting the engine cover back on, was I suppose to hide the connectors underneath existing wires or something? Or should they just be sitting there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #106
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advise, the flat head helped

I did have to remove the batter cover and mount the dinan there.

I had a bit of trouble getting the engine cover back on, was I suppose to hide the connectors underneath existing wires or something? Or should they just be sitting there.
Yeah, I routed the wires along with the OE wiring harnesses. I didn't have any trouble putting the engine cover back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #107
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you try running the sport in stock mode to see if it makes a difference in sounds? I have the same setup as you.

Also have you tried race mode? I have been driving around in Sport+ and don't really notice a difference TBH.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #108
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you try running the sport in stock mode to see if it makes a difference in sounds? I have the same setup as you.

Also have you tried race mode? I have been driving around in Sport+ and don't really notice a difference TBH.
Stock before any mods I noticed difference in sound between sport and comfort.

Mid pipe I also noticed a difference in sound. Both modes sounded awesome with comfort having little no pops and burbles and sport having a ton. I liked the difference between the two.

Dinan Sport plus midpipe, both are quieter and less pops and burbles in sport mode sometimes none. I'm assuming it's because based on my throttle, I used to push it more to move and heard it more often but with Dinan tune throttle response is better making less accelerater despress and less sound. I dunno.

Sport+ in Dinan tune I noticed a difference. Give it 20 miles for the ECU to adapt.

Sport on Dinan tune it was hard to feel the difference but the throttle response was better so felt faster.

Haven't tried Race, im on a business trip atm.

Valet mode I noticed huge drop in boot through the mid and high parts of the power band.

Boost still came on around 2.5-3k but it didn't build and was flat thru 6k rpm. I guess that worked :
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #109
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Mid pipe I also noticed a difference in sound. Both modes sounded awesome with comfort having little no pops and burbles and sport having a ton. I liked the difference between the two.

Dinan Sport plus midpipe, both are quieter and less pops and burbles in sport mode sometimes none. I'm assuming it's because based on my throttle, I used to push it more to move and heard it more often but with Dinan tune throttle response is better making less accelerater despress and less sound. I dunno.

Sport+ in Dinan tune I noticed a difference. Give it 20 miles for the ECU to adapt.

Sport on Dinan tune it was hard to feel the difference but the throttle response was better so felt faster.

Valet mode I noticed huge drop in boot through the mid and high parts of the power band.

Boost still came on around 2.5-3k but it didn't build and was flat thru 6k rpm. I guess that worked :
Well if you keep the dinan sport in stock mode wouldnt that be the same as testing it without the dinan sport installed at all? unless it still impacts throttle.

Waiting for you to try race mode before I give it a go Also what is the max PSI you saw when WOT on Sport +?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #110
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well if you keep the dinan sport in stock mode wouldnt that be the same as testing it without the dinan sport installed at all? unless it still impacts throttle.

Waiting for you to try race mode before I give it a go Also what is the max PSI you saw when WOT on Sport +?
Like 21 using the Dinan gauge. That thing is buggy so I don't trust it.

I won't be back in socal until June 18th
Appreciate 0