THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Is there a consensus on Dinan springs?

04-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #23
MyM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

I guess it depends on the amount of lowering and static droop of the lower arm and how much the increased spring rate fights compression.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #24
MyM235i
Private
Rep

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/b.../222223?page=1

Here is some more food for thought on lowering
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem235i View Post
This picture is when I had the Dinan springs on the car, IMO they gave the car a nice little drop and the car felt a little bit better. Hope this helps
What wheels are those?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #26
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
By way of comparison, here is my 228i M-Sport after the springs/bump stops were installed ("Michael Mann" pic removed)
Actually, that does look pretty good. I wasn't sure from your more-front-on picture that it wouldn't be too low. My 228i isn't an M-Sport so I have a bit more ground clearance already, but I'm super-paranoid about scraping the front, after three years in an E93 M-Sport which I'm absolutely sure went actively looking for things to scrape its chin on!

After my AA8 tune and a BimmerTech amp I haven't even installed yet, I'm not letting myself fall for anything else for a while, but this might have to be next on the list when I can afford to re-open the wallet...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #27
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Actually, that does look pretty good. I wasn't sure from your more-front-on picture that it wouldn't be too low. My 228i isn't an M-Sport so I have a bit more ground clearance already, but I'm super-paranoid about scraping the front, after three years in an E93 M-Sport which I'm absolutely sure went actively looking for things to scrape its chin on!

After my AA8 tune and a BimmerTech amp I haven't even installed yet, I'm not letting myself fall for anything else for a while, but this might have to be next on the list when I can afford to re-open the wallet...
Yeah, I have to be fairly strategic about approaching ramps and steep driveways and I would not advocate going any lower than the half inch F/R, not just because the chin would get slammed but because the more aggressive drops make this car look like something broke, IMO. I'd like to get a carbon fiber front lip but...no way.

I did get 15mm spacers each end and am delighted with the car's improved stance. No rubbing or vibration and the handling remains as tight as ever. Here is a pic, FWIW. You can see how careful I am not to get anywhere near those wretched concrete stoppers.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Here is a pic, FWIW. You can see how careful I am not to get anywhere near those wretched concrete stoppers.

You had to go and do that, didn't you. Damn it.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #29
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
You had to go and do that, didn't you. Damn it.
Heh, well, this was why I bought the 228 vs the M235; I wanted to be able to mod the car aggressively and still feel a huge bump in performance if I step up to an M2. I'm going to get rid of those reflectors, front and rear, but that's it for me, in all likelihood; the car is now a really fierce street ride but with CA emissions regs, the need to preserve the warranty and the fact that I have the N26 SULEV engine vs the N20, my head is close to the ceiling as far as legal performance enhancements are concerned.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #30
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

Just installed Dinan springs with the supplemental kit and i am surprised how well these go with the stock shocks. My main concern was ride quality and these springs definitely live up to what everyone has said. Top notch!

Current: '15 F22 EB 228i | M Sport | 6MT | Dinan | Rotiform | 35% tint | CF side mirrors
Gone: '11 B8 A4 | '08 Infiniti G37 Coupe 6MT | '04 E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #31
BM235iW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black Sapphire M235i

I installed the Dinan springs and ride quality and handling kit on my M235i. Before I did the install I really loved driving the car and waited about a year before finally installing the springs and kit. For me personally the car feels more planted to the road. The ride quality is just a little firmer but not harsh. Guess what I'm to say is this is the way BMW should have make the car in the first place and I have love driving my car even more now.
The only downside is I have to be a little careful at RR crossings and steep driveways but I can deal with these issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #32
justin4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i white

I ended up getting the bumpstops (dinan supplemenatl kit) for way less I think it was like $60 through pelican parts online. I think the bumpstops are borrowed from a 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #33
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Sorry for reviving this thread but will the Dinan + bumbstop setup still maintain the adaptive suspension the 235i comes with?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaig View Post
Sorry for reviving this thread but will the Dinan + bumbstop setup still maintain the adaptive suspension the 235i comes with?
Yes,because only the springs and bump stops are changed. The struts and shocks stay OEM. They're not coilovers.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #35
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
So in summary:

1) handling and ride are improved in general - not to track levels but noticeable in daily driving / street

2) lowering is by a little bit but manageable. On hard turns, camber may suffer but not as much as with more extreme drops

3) Shockware may be responsible for much of the feel changes as well.

4) there may be some extra wear on the dampers although not as excessive on more extreme springs.

?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 02:03 AM   #36
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

for anyone interested, here's a thread with before and after pics of the Dinan springs installed on my M235 xdrive:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307832

I've been very happy with the drop in terms of aesthetics and driving mechanics without any sacrifice in the ride quality. Now if Dinan would only make the Shockware available for the M235....
2016 M235i xDrive - Estoril Blue - Coral Red - 35% ceramic tint - M Performance Exhaust w/ chrome tips - Dinan spring set (1/2 inch front 5/8 inch rear) with bump stops - JBSpeed paint matched spoiler - paint matched mirror caps - black kidney grille - BimmerTech backup and front-view camera retrofit
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #37
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
. . So, lowering our cars will actually will decrease the camber while cornering hard, thus requiring the camber plates to set it back again or set it wayyyyy into negative territory to keep it somewhat negative during cornering.
. . .
Do you think it makes sense to also install the Dinan camber plates, as well as the anti-roll bar set when doing the springs and bump stops on a m240i xDrive?
      11-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #38
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Do you think it makes sense to also install the Dinan camber plates, as well as the anti-roll bar set when doing the springs and bump stops on a m240i xDrive?
Yes, it is best to think of the suspension as a system, changing one thing affects the rest of the system. Dinan has done the work for you and put together a well though out system that works together to provide a significant improvement in handling for a car that is used on and off the track. In an interview with Steve Dinan, after the announcement of his leaving the company, Steve said he always considered his company a suspension tuning firm first, while allowing that as the company evolved the engine management side grew significantly beyond his early expectations.

Can you do better on your own using a hodge podge of parts from various vendors? Maybe, but, do you really have the time to spend every weekend at the track or autocross to install, test, adjust, and tweak your suspension?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #39
issaacrumel01
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i msport thp

I recently got the Dinan springs, ride kit and Shockwave. Echo the feedback here. Completely dials in the ride and makes this car the sports coupe it should have been. Body roll is almost eliminated. Steering is tighter and more precise. Very happy with the mods and I’m reality not a whole lot spent to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #40
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Yes, it is best to think of the suspension as a system, changing one thing affects the rest of the system. Dinan has done the work for you and put together a well though out system that works together to provide a significant improvement in handling for a car that is used on and off the track. In an interview with Steve Dinan, after the announcement of his leaving the company, Steve said he always considered his company a suspension tuning firm first, while allowing that as the company evolved the engine management side grew significantly beyond his early expectations.

Can you do better on your own using a hodge podge of parts from various vendors? Maybe, but, do you really have the time to spend every weekend at the track or autocross to install, test, adjust, and tweak your suspension?
Picked up my m240 after getting springs/bumps installed, and VERY NICE, not sure if I will add the roll bars, but definitely a NO on the camber plates as I do not track, and I highly doubt my driving is aggressive enough to need it on the road.

Just thought I would follow up with email from Dinan about how/what suspension for me to add:
-----
If you are not doing track days or are a VERY aggressive driver I would skip on the camber plates. If you aren’t a very aggressive driver all it will be doing for you is forcing you to replace tires quicker. =)

As for the sway bars--- it depends on how sensitive you are to suspension characteristics. My gut would be to do the springs/bumpstops first and try that first before doing the sways. If you feel you still need to be flatter in the corners then do the sway bars. They don’t share labor time so its not like you are saving a bunch of labor cost when doing them at the same time anyway. Best way to describe those 2 mods since they essentially address the same thing (although there focuses are slightly different) is that the springs/bumps are the sledgehammer tool that’s getting the bulk of the fixing out of the way and the sways are more like the precision instrument to dial it in to an exact formula you want.

Nathan Fette
-----

The only parts I will add to this vehicle are going to be from Dinan_Engineering , at least during the warranty phase, and I have to say that I will probably stick with that for the life of the car as every time I contact them and ask questions, they not only respond quickly, but also are never pushing ALL the products available to me.
      12-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #41
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Dinan springs put to work!

12-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #42
MyM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Dinan springs put to work!

Little off topic, is that a Area27?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #43
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM235i View Post
Little off topic, is that a Area27?
Sure is
      12-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #44
MyM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Sure is
What did you think of it? I'm considering a motorcycle track day there this year but its a massive drive from Cochrane.
Appreciate 0