THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Verizon phone options when traveling from US to Europe?

09-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Verizon phone options when traveling from US to Europe?

So my ED is coming up in like 3 weeks. I have a Verizon iPhone 5S. For anyone else that's done ED with a Verizon phone, what did you do to be able to get data, text, and calling capabilities over there?

Based on my research, I think it boils down to 2 options:
  • Buy a short-term international plan from Verizon directly, which gives you the data, texting, and calling limits for something like $40
  • Buy a pre-paid SIM card in Germany once I get there, which also gives you the data, texting, and calling limits. Unsure yet on price

I'm pretty sure all of Verizon's "world phones", which includes my 5S, are unlocked. Meaning popping in a new SIM card should just work.

Anybody have insight on their experience? Better to go through Verizon, or just do the SIM card route? I'm leaning toward SIM card because I believe Verizon bends you over at every possible opportunity.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Yes, cell phone companies love to bend you over :-) I would check the limits of the data plans because if you use a data fed map app over there it really starts to add up, even if you have Nav in the car, you'll be using a map app when you are walking around. I used an app called CoPilot for times that I couldn't get cell phone signal (it has built in map data) which is bound to happen if you travel through the alps. The rest of the time I used my T-mobile account ($70. per mo.) which includes international data roaming at no extra cost. This includes $ .20 per min. talk, free text and MMS coming and going, free unlimited data at Edge speeds, which is fast enough to utilize google maps. I'm just throwing in another option.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 09-21-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

I went to Europe (not an ED) earlier this year. When renting the car, they asked if wanted to rent a wifi hotspot for the car. I was a little hesitant because most of the places we were staying had free wifi, so I wasn't sure how much I'd use it. Turns out to be the best investment. I used it for free Nav, researching destinations on the fly and sooooo much more. There are enough free apps on my Android phone that I never paid a dime for any phone calls that I made or data use since it was all done through wifi. Again, just offering an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Oh yeah! Good point. Don't the 2016 M235i's come with WiFi hotspots built in?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
racerstf
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Oh yeah! Good point. Don't the 2016 M235i's come with WiFi hotspots built in?
I just took delivery of my 2016 M235i on 9/19
I didn't add any options except paint and moonroof delete... no wifi hotspot in my car.

I have verizon and the international package is stupid. $30/month + all calls + all texts (incoming, receiving) cost money. I chose to not use my phone at all and only use wifi connections whenever I get them. Some hotels have decent wifi and some are extremely frustrating. There are free wifi spots around big cities, but not as many as I was lead to believe lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I'm on Verizon. My trip was short (~1 week), so I didn't want to screw around with new SIM cards. I went with the $40 international plan (100 minutes of talk, 100mb data & 100 texts).

Due to work-related calls, I went way over on talk (probably adding another $15) and also over on data (another ~$20) even though I used wifi at the hotel. All in all, it probably added ~$75 to my monthly bill. Was that a great deal? Not particularly. But, in the scheme of things, it didn't exactly break the bank either. And there's simply a convenience factor in sticking with VZW's own plans. Adding the international plan for a month and then removing it at the end of the cycle is like a 5 minute effort. Sorting out SIM cards, temporary plans, temporary numbers, etc. in a foreign country would have been a bit more of an effort.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

I went to Belgium earlier this year with a Verizon iPhone 5S. Unless you absolutely must be reachable via your US number just go to anywhere that will sell a prepaid SIM. You might not get LTE but you will get service. I did a LycaMobile prepaid SIM for 20 euros, and it came with 1GB of data. Worked great for the week I was there.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I'm on Verizon. My trip was short (~1 week), so I didn't want to screw around with new SIM cards. I went with the $40 international plan (100 minutes of talk, 100mb data & 100 texts).

Due to work-related calls, I went way over on talk (probably adding another $15) and also over on data (another ~$20) even though I used wifi at the hotel. All in all, it probably added ~$75 to my monthly bill. Was that a great deal? Not particularly. But, in the scheme of things, it didn't exactly break the bank either. And there's simply a convenience factor in sticking with VZW's own plans. Adding the international plan for a month and then removing it at the end of the cycle is like a 5 minute effort. Sorting out SIM cards, temporary plans, temporary numbers, etc. in a foreign country would have been a bit more of an effort.
We pickup our 235 in Munich the week after next and we are going to do what you did, pretty much for the reasons that you outlined. Verizon is smart enough to realize that we are lazy. And I would not want to go without phone service in case of emergency in a rural area where there is not readily available wifi.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Get a pre-paid SIM card. WAY cheaper.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0