THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes H&R Springs M235i

05-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #67
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
I've lowered 4 cars with springs and all 4 times I've got it aligned after it settled. However, the specs from all 4 times were within manufacture toe suggestion. Camber was a bit more negative but that happens when lowering the car anyway
Did you have them bring it back out to mfg camber specs?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #68
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
I've lowered 4 cars with springs and all 4 times I've got it aligned after it settled. However, the specs from all 4 times were within manufacture toe suggestion. Camber was a bit more negative but that happens when lowering the car anyway
Did you have them bring it back out to mfg camber specs?
Nope, just very minor corrected the toe. I'll check my alignment sheet later if you're interested to see the camber degrees
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #69
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

Everyone is talking that H&R sports are close to stock in terms of performance and cornering. Im assuming this is compared to m-sport suspension or regular (non msport) suspension. If so getting this on non m sport would drastically improve suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #70
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Got my springs installed today along with an alignment (2.25 F&R camber, 3/32 toe rear, 0 front).

Overall, I like the springs. Looks great, and the ride is noticeably more stiff. Less secondary motions. I like them.

One weird thing is my suspension people said that the springs are a great fit, but are a little short for the front struts, so you need to be careful that they don't pop out if you use a floor jack to get the car up to change a tire. Other than that, went smoothly.

I'll post a more thorough review after doing some track time this weekend.
Do you mind telling me what your total installation costs were? I had a local shop that I trust quote me a high end of $800 or less if it doesn't take as long - they haven't done an M235i spring job yet. He said that there is a chance they would have to order new mounting bolts as the newer BMWs use mixed metal bolts that are one time use. Did you retain your old bolts?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #71
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair311 View Post
Do you mind telling me what your total installation costs were? I had a local shop that I trust quote me a high end of $800 or less if it doesn't take as long - they haven't done an M235i spring job yet. He said that there is a chance they would have to order new mounting bolts as the newer BMWs use mixed metal bolts that are one time use. Did you retain your old bolts?

Thanks
Installation was $450, and that included a full alignment. Did not not have to use new bolts -- the old one worked just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #72
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Angry

Not to derail the topic, but it seems a lot are following this thread, so here is my situation.

My HR springs were installed a little over a week ago. Now the front driver strut is leaking. Having had a previous installer (local dive garage) attempt a spring install, they damaged the strut and so they replaced it. This time, I had the springs professionally installed - but it appears to have caused the same issue. The second installer is a professional shop, insured, etc.

This causes a few questions to see if anyone here knows or has advice.

1) Has anyone had this happen as well? If so, to what strut(s)? How did you go about fixing?

2) Recommendations for a permanent fix? Going back to OEM ride is not an option, I did not care for it (too bouncy, unsettled).

3) If I move to coils or Bilstein struts with the HRs, do I need to do anything to make sure the EDC does not throw an error code? If so, what is required? Afterwards, can I still hit sport/sport+ to control the transmission/steering portions of the ride control?

4) If full coils are the only recommended solution, I assume the same EDC problem remains. What coil sets would offer a ride as nice as the HR/OEM struts w/o becoming race car hard?

At this point, the car has been into a shop four times during this whole process and I can't stand that it is coming up again. I find it hard to believe HR would sell springs that could cause this, but I also doubt that it would happen twice to the same car in the same strut (each strut was new, OEM) after lowering. Especially when so many have done this with no negative effects.

Thoughts / help?
      06-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #73
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Not to derail the topic, but it seems a lot are following this thread, so here is my situation.

My HR springs were installed a little over a week ago. Now the front driver strut is leaking. Having had a previous installer (local dive garage) attempt a spring install, they damaged the strut and so they replaced it. This time, I had the springs professionally installed - but it appears to have caused the same issue. The second installer is a professional shop, insured, etc.

1) Has anyone had this happen as well? If so, to what strut(s)? How did you go about fixing?

2) Recommendations for a permanent fix? Going back to OEM ride is not an option, I did not care for it (too bouncy, unsettled).

3) If I move to coils or Bilstein struts with the HRs, do I need to do anything to make sure the EDC does not throw an error code? If so, what is required? Afterwards, can I still hit sport/sport+ to control the transmission/steering portions of the ride control?

4) If full coils are the only recommended solution, I assume the same EDC problem remains. What coil sets would offer a ride as nice as the HR/OEM struts w/o becoming race car hard?

At this point, the car has been into a shop four times during this whole process and I can't stand that it is coming up again. I find it hard to believe HR would sell springs that could cause this, but I also doubt that it would happen twice to the same car in the same strut (each strut was new, OEM) after lowering. Especially when so many have done this with no negative effects.

Thoughts / help?
What type of damage?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #74
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

When you goto the HR sport springs what is the actual camber increase ? From stock to lowered? Just curious
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #75
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
When you goto the HR sport springs what is the actual camber increase ? From stock to lowered? Just curious
The front stayed the same. The back increased by .15

I have camber plates though, so I don't know how it would have been on stock suspension. Probably the same or similar.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #76
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz
Quote:

Thoughts / help?
What type of damage?
The strut leaks at the top, that's about all I know.
      06-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #77
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

Thoughts / help?
3) Not sure if it will throw a code or not but it should be pretty easy to try... just unplug the connector on your stock strut and see what happens...
I'm pretty sure sport/sport+ will still work for transmission, throttle mapping and steering weight

4) you can always go with something like the KW DDC which is a plug-and-play replacement for the stock struts... they are not cheap though...

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/produkt...terGroupID=1-3
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #78
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
3) Not sure if it will throw a code or not but it should be pretty easy to try... just unplug the connector on your stock strut and see what happens...
I'm pretty sure sport/sport+ will still work for transmission, throttle mapping and steering weight

4) you can always go with something like the KW DDC which is a plug-and-play replacement for the stock struts... they are not cheap though...

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/produkt...terGroupID=1-3
Yeah, the DDC setup is where I am looking now if I have to replace it. Anything else is at least $1000 plus the EDC delete modules (another $400), and that is only for entry setups. Since this is not a track focused car and is my DD, I'm thinking I would prefer the lifetime warranty of KW V3 DDCs over most anything else - and at least it would still adjust from inside the vehicle. Will see what I can convince the wife to allow!
      06-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #79
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the DDC setup is where I am looking now if I have to replace it. Anything else is at least $1000 plus the EDC delete modules (another $400), and that is only for entry setups. Since this is not a track focused car and is my DD, I'm thinking I would prefer the lifetime warranty of KW V3 DDCs over most anything else - and at least it would still adjust from inside the vehicle. Will see what I can convince the wife to allow!
just sweeten it up with a bunch or roses....

I was doing some reading and looks like if you unplug the connector, the shock will go into failsafe mode and either get full soft or full stiff and you are not supposed to drive like that for an extended period of time either...

Some say it can be coded but never really seen the actual variables to disable it.... but i'm not so sure it could be coded if they charge $400 for a EDC delete module..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #80
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
just sweeten it up with a bunch or roses....

I was doing some reading and looks like if you unplug the connector, the shock will go into failsafe mode and either get full soft or full stiff and you are not supposed to drive like that for an extended period of time either...

Some say it can be coded but never really seen the actual variables to disable it.... but i'm not so sure it could be coded if they charge $400 for a EDC delete module..
Was my thought as well. For now I'm stuck between buying an OEM strut (@ $500) or full coils and be down with it. Since this is the second strut to have this issue, my worry is a third will eventually fail as well. And as we know, BMW won't cover lowering.
      07-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #81
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Was my thought as well. For now I'm stuck between buying an OEM strut (@ $500) or full coils and be down with it. Since this is the second strut to have this issue, my worry is a third will eventually fail as well. And as we know, BMW won't cover lowering.
So how are the new struts doing?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #82
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So how are the new struts doing?
Front left still leaks a little after long trips or twisties. I'm looking into going with coils and code out the EDC conflict. I may have to put my track time on hold until I get all this sorted - but better to be fully sorted before the track makes it worse
      07-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #83
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Front left still leaks a little after long trips or twisties. I'm looking into going with coils and code out the EDC conflict. I may have to put my track time on hold until I get all this sorted - but better to be fully sorted before the track makes it worse
Hurry there are only 3 events left
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #84
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This year, I know, its killing me! But at least I run with both BMW CCA and ACNA (Audi), so my options are a bit more open. If you track a lot, I highly recommend looking into the Audi clubs, oddly they do more track time than BMW up here.
      07-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #85
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698
Quote:
This year, I know, its killing me! But at least I run with both BMW CCA and ACNA (Audi), so my options are a bit more open. If you track a lot, I highly recommend looking into the Audi clubs, oddly they do more track time than BMW up here.
Weird I can never find Audi events around

http://www.audiclubna.org/events?ter...nt_type_tid=51

Looks like only 1 close by
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #86
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weird I can never find Audi events around

http://www.audiclubna.org/events?ter...nt_type_tid=51

Looks like only 1 close by
From Motorsportsreg, once registered with ACNA Northwest Chapter:
Sep 12 Maryhill Loops Road
Nov 7 Portland Int'l Raceway
Nov 7 -8 Portland Int'l Raceway

Maryhill Loops Road looks great, but the 2 day event at PIR is my next aim point for track! I love two day events, much more cost efficient

To the OP (and others) - apologies for the detour, now back to your regularly scheduled programming ...
      08-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #87
shane060
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6spd 2011 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Anyone having issues with their H&R springs under either daily, occasional or track use? There is a similar thread about HR springs being to weak and damaging components quicker and worse than thought but just waned to see if anyone had issues going on here?? I installed my set about 300 miles ago and am on 15mm spacers front and rear but so far no issues as my car is a weekend driver or Sunday cruiser to to speak... Worried sick that I might have gone the wrong route and am highly considering having my mechanic check the struts and components next week when the car is up on the lift for DP install! Possibly considering going back to OEM but man o man I didn't want to think of going back to that setup and fender gap....:XXX
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #88
tencazzo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane060 View Post
Anyone having issues with their H&R springs under either daily, occasional or track use? There is a similar thread about HR springs being to weak and damaging components quicker and worse than thought but just waned to see if anyone had issues going on here?? I installed my set about 300 miles ago and am on 15mm spacers front and rear but so far no issues as my car is a weekend driver or Sunday cruiser to to speak... Worried sick that I might have gone the wrong route and am highly considering having my mechanic check the struts and components next week when the car is up on the lift for DP install! Possibly considering going back to OEM but man o man I didn't want to think of going back to that setup and fender gap....:XXX
I have the same worries man. The only problem I have is that sometimes on the deep waves on the road by fast drive or deep potholes the front shocks are crashing. Sounds and feels pretty shitty. So I looked up for alternative already. If shocks are going to be damaged, I am thinking about to go with:
1. Bilstein B8 shocks in combination with old HR springs. Those are short shocks special for lowering springs, cost about 630€ in Germany.
2. Coilovers ST X from KW, full set with shocks and springs, adjustable lowering 30-50mm. Cost 799€.
If someone got experience, would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by tencazzo; 08-24-2015 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0