THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Mid Pipe vs Resonator Delete

06-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #23
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuQutaita View Post
Source? I found the blurb here, but I'm skeptical of it since the pictures are not from a 2018 model.
Now you have me wondering as well. This was my source:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...-a-glance.html

It includes the 2018 UK price guide for M240's so I presumed the promo write up also referenced the 2018 models. I asked BMW Genius, but they could not provide any info on the 2018 exhaust design.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #24
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
a local muffler shop can do both for a fraction of the cost.

Removing resonator or swapping midpipe will get you no performance gain and the sound change will be almost nothing. Better off using that money someplace else. just my .02.
I would have to agree. But im sorry i think paying $500 for a strait pipe is a bit ridiculous imo lmao
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #25
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
I think it was on the B58 FB page that someone wrote about how they had to alter the midpipe to make it work. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it. Here is what the poster wrote:

"Okay, after spending a shit load of time getting the Dinan midpipe's custom tailored to fit the factory M Performance Exhaust (MPE), it's finally done. If you weren't aware, it's NOT a straight bolt on affair. I have modified the Dinan midpipe so I can go back to the stock midpipe within minutes if needed. My goal was to leave the MPE exactly as it comes from the factory.

Video to come soon, but this combined with the ER catless downpipe is bonkers loud. Sounds awesome on throttle and in boost, but is so obnoxious everywhere else (especially cold start). I told myself I would give it a week before I decide if I'm going back to the stock midpipe. I think this current setup would be perfect with the stock downpipe."

In the comments he said the midpipe and MPE inlet are both the same size so that's what causes the issue. Normally the stock midpipe slides into the MPE.
So you are correct sir. EAS couldn't do the install so I put the stock exhaust back on with the Dinan midpipe to see what I thought. The next day I went to a local muffler shop to get the Dinan midpipe to get installed on my MPE and man, its like a whole new car. It sounds awesome! Sounds powerful. It's hard to describe.

To sum it up:
1. The MPE by itself with stock midpipe was alright but too quiet. Only really sounded good on startup and WOT imo. Cruising was so quiet...too quiet.

2. The stock exhaust with Dinan Midpipe was okay too but it was obviously different. It had more rasp but the burples seemed clearer. What I did notice BIG time from just changing to the Dinan midpipe that I wasn't expecting was the sudden responsiveness to the car in all modes of driving. It was just more sensitive and felt great. Loved how much more responsive it felt. It could have just been my butt dyno but I wasn't expecting it and I definitely noticed it right off the bat so I'm sure I'm not crazy here.

3. The Dinan midpipes with the MPE was music to my ears. No drone at any speed and can be quiet if you just idle. But as soon as you step on the gas, music to my ears. Sounded like something Eisennman would make. Great combination in my opinion.

No video yet as I am just one person but if there is demand, I'll try to get something up. Otherwise, if anyone is in the SGV area of Los Angeles, I don't mind letting you hear it. =)
Appreciate 2
SCCThree816.00
AlexM240i101.50
      06-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #26
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
So you are correct sir. EAS couldn't do the install so I put the stock exhaust back on with the Dinan midpipe to see what I thought. The next day I went to a local muffler shop to get the Dinan midpipe to get installed on my MPE and man, its like a whole new car. It sounds awesome! Sounds powerful. It's hard to describe.

To sum it up:
1. The MPE by itself with stock midpipe was alright but too quiet. Only really sounded good on startup and WOT imo. Cruising was so quiet...too quiet.

2. The stock exhaust with Dinan Midpipe was okay too but it was obviously different. It had more rasp but the burples seemed clearer. What I did notice BIG time from just changing to the Dinan midpipe that I wasn't expecting was the sudden responsiveness to the car in all modes of driving. It was just more sensitive and felt great. Loved how much more responsive it felt. It could have just been my butt dyno but I wasn't expecting it and I definitely noticed it right off the bat so I'm sure I'm not crazy here.

3. The Dinan midpipes with the MPE was music to my ears. No drone at any speed and can be quiet if you just idle. But as soon as you step on the gas, music to my ears. Sounded like something Eisennman would make. Great combination in my opinion.

No video yet as I am just one person but if there is demand, I'll try to get something up. Otherwise, if anyone is in the SGV area of Los Angeles, I don't mind letting you hear it. =)
Im in for a video! what area of SGV are you? i would love to hear it! i was thinking about just going the mid pipe route as I'm a bit confused on how to go the MPE route.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #27
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post

To sum it up:

Congrats, that's awesome to hear! Great to know there is another option. I'm down for a video!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #28
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
Im in for a video! what area of SGV are you? i would love to hear it! i was thinking about just going the mid pipe route as I'm a bit confused on how to go the MPE route.
I am in the Arcadia area.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #29
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Competition

Yeah, I think we need a video of this!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #30
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Just got back from having the Dinan Midpipe installed. Yeah, it's exactly as good as I thought.

Louder, crisper, and the pops and burbles are more prevalent. Only had a chance to grab a quick video. Much more throaty in person, but ain't it always that way with sound clips of exhausts.

Cold start. Not too loud, but definite increase in volume. Hopefully it doesn't wake the wife in the morning. Haha.

A few quick revs after it was warmed up. Wasn't looking to get too loud in the neighborhood tonight.

Appreciate 2
SCCThree816.00
AlexM240i101.50
      02-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #31
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Dinan Resonator Delete > for M235 which only had one resonator
Dinan Midpipe (deletes 2 resonators) > for M240i
So your saying get the resonator delete for the m235? Sorry I just don’t understand what you mean with the “>”
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #32
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_m235 View Post
So your saying get the resonator delete for the m235? Sorry I just don’t understand what you mean with the “>”
I would just take it to an exhaust shop to do resonator delete on both.

I spent $150 (for SS) to delete both resonators on my M240i and it doesn't sound any different to me than the Dinan midpipe because it's essentially the same thing for way less. Could get an M2 muffler with the money saved.

Appreciate 1
TajoMan174.00
      03-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #33
Arman_F22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i

I used to drive a 2015 M235i 6MT, cut the (1 small resonator in M235i's) resonator off the car and there was almost no change in sound. I went and cut the mufflers off because the car was still quiet with the resonator off, and the car was screaming after with no resonator or mufflers lol - I recommend the BMS N55 short ram intake settup with this for maximum burbling enjoyment.

I now drive a 2017 M240i automatic, recently cut both (2 big resonators in M240i's), and have a Agency Power short ram intake, and compared to stock the sound went up 30-35% for me as both resonators came off together and my muffler shop welded one long SS pipe (basically a midpipe). After the intake was on, the car was snap-crackle-popping like crazy compared to stock. First to second shift sounds like a gunshot. Very happy with the result.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #34
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

I installed Dinan mid-pipe last weekend and it sounds very good.

It is kinda loud when it starts from cold.
Noticeably resonating for 1~2 minutes after cold start. Almost too harsh.
After couple of minutes, it quickly goes away.

Is it normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #35
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

does anyone have a clip of the dinan mid pipe with mpe exhaust?
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #36
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
I installed Dinan mid-pipe last weekend and it sounds very good.

It is kinda loud when it starts from cold.
Noticeably resonating for 1~2 minutes after cold start. Almost too harsh.
After couple of minutes, it quickly goes away.

Is it normal?
Yep, ..... at least with mine, ...... neighbors love it!
      04-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #37
Mathew Miles
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive MWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scadam View Post
does anyone have a clip of the dinan mid pipe with mpe exhaust?
I have the M Performance exhaust but I don't have the Dinan midpipe. I deleted both resonators instead of purchasing the midpipe. I love how the exhaust sounds now. Here's a link to my video: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...7#post23029597
Appreciate 0