THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Opinions Sought on M240i order

02-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Opinions Sought on M240i order

I have had a number of BMWs over the years (e.g., M3, other 3 series, 135i, M235). Most have been manual transmissions though the latest (M235i) has an automatic, which I have actually enjoyed.

I am planning to order a 2019 M240i and am interested in the most recent opinions on this particular model and year for a few topics. Yes, I have searched this and other forums on these questions. The car will be a daily driver and never tracked.

1st question is between the RWD and XDrive. I have never owned an xDrive or any other AWD. I do have an old Toyota truck which can be put in 4WD. We live in the PNW and change between winter and summer tires.

2nd question is the Estoril Blue color. I love it in person. What do people who have this color think? Any post-purchase regrets? Does it show dirt? Virtually all of my prior BMWs have been Apline White.

3rd question is Euro Delivery. I have done this in years past and it was a good deal. What about NOW? Is it still worthwhile? Any other current promotions to be aware of (e.g., have used my USAA membership in the past)?

4th and final question is the sound system. I don't want the "Premium Package (PP)," but have usually ordered the HK sound system on previous builds when available. Looks like I cannot the HK without the PP. How is the normal sound system?

Thank you in advance for your opinions. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

LSD Addendum to Original Question

For a little more than the difference between RWD and xDrive, I could buy an LSD. Was looking at https://diffsonline.com/bmw-f22-m240...l#.XGrh8uhKhZc

What are the thoughts on this LS differential (see link above)? I would get the 3 clutch version with the stock gear ratio. Any thoughts on the ramp options?

Also any recent thoughts/experiences on the vendor (diffsonline) also appreciated. My searching suggests that they are a reliable vendor.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]I have had a number of BMWs over the years (e.g., M3, other 3 series, 135i, M235). Most have been manual transmissions though the latest (M235i) has an automatic, which I have actually enjoyed.

I am planning to order a 2019 M240i and am interested in the most recent opinions on this particular model and year for a few topics. Yes, I have searched this and other forums on these questions. The car will be a daily driver and never tracked.

1st question is between the RWD and [COLOR="Blue"]XDrive[/COLOR]. I have never owned an xDrive or any other AWD. I do have an old Toyota truck which can be put in 4WD. We live in the PNW and change between winter and summer tires.

2nd question is the [COLOR="blue"]Estoril Blue[/COLOR] color. I love it in person. What do people who have this color think? Any post-purchase regrets? Does it show dirt? Virtually all of my prior BMWs have been Apline White.

3rd question is [COLOR="blue"]Euro Delivery[/COLOR]. I have done this in years past and it was a good deal. What about NOW? Is it still worthwhile? Any other current promotions to be aware of (e.g., have used my USAA membership in the past)?

4th and final question is the [COLOR="blue"]sound system[/COLOR]. I don't want the "Premium Package (PP)," but have usually ordered the HK sound system on previous builds when available. Looks like I cannot the HK without the PP. How is the normal sound system?

Thank you in advance for your opinions. Much appreciated.
[/COLOR]
I have a 2019 M240i xDrive. I chose the xdrive version because Ohio weather can suck and my driving style prefers that particular setup during spirited driving.

I basically chose what other people would consider the softest of all the m240 builds by choosing the automatic transmission and all season square setup on an xdrive car. I don't regret it much because traffic sucks and the automatic transmission is super nice these days. My only regret is the default unchangeable speed limiter that comes with the square all season setup... not that I plan on going over 130 but just knowing I can't regardless of what tires/wheels/location I'm at makes me a little regretful.

I will be adding the factory lsd soon for even more grip. Since my car is a daily driver warranty and reliability is my first priority for the next three years.

*edit*
I think the HK system sucks. It has no place in a $50k+ car. But the stock system is worse. You really don't have a choice but to get the HK system unless you are going to pour serious money into the amps and speakers to do your own thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, Discount

Appreciate your thoughts. I have the automatic in my M235i now and like it, especially in traffic. Will probably get another on the M240i build. On both my M235i and the 135i before, I used a "square" tire set up switching between summer performance tires and winter snow tires.

Comparing my M235i to friends with the LSD, I wish I had the LSD. I found an interesting thread from a few years back (see below).

The sound system situation sucks.

Thanks again.

12-29-2015, 11:12 PM #10
moldcad
Drives: M235i

My M235i has M-P LSD, and I must tell you guys this has been money well spend. Of course, I'm on winter tires right now - but in Sport+ (or any other setting, but DTC on after a short press of the DSC button) the car behaves perfectly. The chances of BOTH rear tires loosing grip entirely (or just standing on ice when I stop the car before traffic lights, etc.) are only 50% of getting one of them without grip; the LSD assures the torque to propell the car as long as at lest one of the rear tires has at least some grip...

This was not the case with my E46 330i which didn't have LSD, and I remember several instances of just not being able to move forward. In the meantime I had xDrive F10 for 2 years, and comparing all 3 BMWs of mine (the RWD 330i without closed differential, the xDrive F10, and the current RWD M235i with the mechanical LSD) I can say that beyond doubts, the controllability of my current car is more like the xDrive F10 than the open-diff 330i. And this applies both the moving from standing still, and going through curves using the gas pedal more than the steering wheel for maintaining the proper trail, in spite of considerable fish-tailing... But the latter is lots of fun by itself, so I prefer my LSD-equipped car more than the xDrive I used to have, which was simply boring...

Of course - as we all know - in emergency situations that requires braking everything is down to the tires, so in this department there is practically no difference between all 3. But accelerating, I can feel the car is never a single-wheel drive!
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'd get a 6MT M240 with the MP LSD and run winter performance tires or DWS06 in the winter months. You clearly like a manuals and these cars are so engaging with the manual.

The MP LSD is a very high quality clutch based LSD built by Drexler for BMW. It is a great setup for street and light track duty. It's also a warrantied unit and a hell of a lot cheaper than anything from aftermarket vendors.

The xdrive adds complexity, weight, and cost. It seems so against what this car is about.

If you do decide on AWD, just go buy one off the lot as you'll save a ton of money as there are tons available across the US with the options you want. Most 2 series sold are AWD now. I could have saved myself $5k buying a M235x off the lot, but I wanted a 6MT and with weird options and no moonroof.

Last edited by XutvJet; 02-18-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
.................................................. .................................................. ................

I am planning to order a 2019 M240i and am interested in the most recent opinions on this particular model and year for a few topics............................................ ...... .
2019 model year 2-series production ends this month (2/19), so if you order a M240i, it will be a 2020MY 2-series and specs, features and options for that aren't out yet.
      02-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

moon roof delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'd get a 6MT M240 with the MP LSD and run winter performance tires or DWS06 in the winter months. You clearly like a manuals and these cars are so engaging with the manual.

The MP LSD is a very high quality clutch based LSD built by Drexler for BMW. It is a great setup for street and light track duty. It's also a warrantied unit and a hell of a lot cheaper than anything from aftermarket vendors.

The xdrive adds complexity, weight, and cost. It seems so against what this car is about.

If you do decide on AWD, just go buy one off the lot as you'll save a ton of money as there are tons available across the US with the options you want. Most 2 series sold are AWD now. I could have saved myself $5k buying a M235x off the lot, but I wanted a 6MT and with weird options and no moonroof.
Thank you for your thoughts. The 6MT is very tempting. Much harder to sell has been my experience. I have deleted the moon roof on every car I have ordered over the decades.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
2019 model year 2-series production ends this month (2/19), so if you order a M240i, it will be a 2020MY 2-series and specs, features and options for that aren't out yet.
Great point. Thank you for drawing it to my attention as this was sooner than I thought. Have just looked through the "2020 2 Series Gets Darkened Tail Lights, New Wheels, Colors, Interior, Trim, Leather" thread. Some questions if anyone has an opinion.

1. Will the HP and torque for the 2020 M240i be at ≥ 2019?

2. Estoril Blue is available. Don't like LB Blue (it's really more teal than blue).

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
It looks like you can build an M240i without the Premium Package and still order the HK system on the Options page.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I have a white M240i convertible xdrive because i live in michigan and prefer to have all possible tech applied when it snows. it replaces a 135is convertible, so i have a pretty close comparison xdrive vs 2wd. i like the xdrive handling better but some might disagree. i'd suggest trying both if you can arrange drives.

i've had estoril blue. i love the color but i think it only goes with very light seats which may be a problem depending on your situation.

the only changes i'd make to my car were i to do it again would be to add park distance control and things like that. why i'd spend 60 large on a car and stint on a couple of options, i cannot explain.

Last edited by Ron Jeffries; 02-21-2019 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Owner of a 2018 M240i Estoril Blue 8pd auto pp w standard sound system.

Estoril blue: absolutely stunning color, not hard to keep clean. I get constant compliments on it.

I'd only go for RWD because I want the fun factor. Inducing corner oversteer = fun

Standard sound system is @SS, I replaced with BavSound speakers and its much better.
I have had a few loaners with the HK sound system in them and its barely passable. The HK is still no winner.

I also have Dinan intake and tune which make the power even more crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
For a little more than the difference between RWD and xDrive, I could buy an LSD. Was looking at https://diffsonline.com/bmw-f22-m240...l#.XGrh8uhKhZc

What are the thoughts on this LS differential (see link above)? I would get the 3 clutch version with the stock gear ratio. Any thoughts on the ramp options?

Also any recent thoughts/experiences on the vendor (diffsonline) also appreciated. My searching suggests that they are a reliable vendor.

Thanks again.
Dan Fitzgerald owns Diffsonline and is an excellent aftermarket vendor - I can recommend him without reservation. He's done a number of diffs for me for various cars. He may ask why you want a 3-clutch pack diff if you're not going to the track (or he may not). Note that he gets busy as race season gets going. Although, the last time I was in there he'd hired an assistant, so maybe his turnaround time in the spring is shorter than it used to be.

I go to the track and Dan recommended the Wavetrac; given that mine is a street car, I would have been surprised if he hadn't. If you do go with a clutch-pack diff, you may want to ask for the expected length of the rebuild intervals - that's something I'd want to know, anyway, along with the cost of a rebuild.

Quote:
I paid a discounted $2,235 shipped for a Wavetrac - so, probably not that much different compared to a discounted M Performance unit? I think someone here said he got an M Perf unit for $2K from one of the dealers that discounts aggressively - no idea if that included shipping.

Last edited by dradernh; 02-18-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
I am planning to order a 2019 M240i and am interested in the most recent opinions...

Most [prior BMWs] have been manual transmissions though the latest (M235i) has an automatic, which I have actually enjoyed.
I drove MTs before my M240i. But, as great as the 8ZF is, I'd never go back to a manual. At least 50% of the time I drive it in manual mode with the console shifter, but otherwise automatic in traffic.

Quote:
1st question is between the RWD and XDrive.
Car & Driver did a thorough and instrumented comparison a couple of years ago. Check it out! I'd go RWD unless you truly need AWD.

Quote:
2nd question is the Estoril Blue color. I love it in person. What do people who have this color think? Any post-purchase regrets? Does it show dirt?
There's a reason it won the recent color poll on here by a landslide. Mine is EB; it doesn't disappoint over time. Excellent at hiding dirt.

Quote:
3rd question is Euro Delivery. I have done this in years past and it was a good deal... Is it still worthwhile?
Worthwhile only if you're wanting a Euro vacation, I expect?

Quote:
4th and final question... How is the normal sound system?
Dunno. It took me over a year even to try out my upgraded HK system. It's been 'ON' exactly once.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #14
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Euro delivery is great if you want to be in Europe for two weeks anyway. The downside is that you have to wait for them to ship the car after the two weeks, which takes about two months. So you will have paid for a vehicle that you do not have access to for that period.
I would still do it again under the right circumstances. BTW, if you do ED in the winter, you have to have snow tires mounted or they will not deliver the car to you, so watch the season!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #15
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Dan Fitzgerald owns Diffsonline and is an excellent aftermarket vendor - I can recommend him without reservation. He's done a number of diffs for me for various cars. He may ask why you want a 3-clutch pack diff if you're not going to the track (or he may not). Note that he gets busy as race season gets going. Although, the last time I was in there he'd hired an assistant, so maybe his turnaround time in the spring is shorter than it used to be.

I go to the track and Dan recommended the Wavetrac; given that mine is a street car, I would have been surprised if he hadn't. If you do go with a clutch-pack diff, you may want to ask for the expected length of the rebuild intervals - that's something I'd want to know, anyway, along with the cost of a rebuild.

I paid a discounted $2,235 shipped for a Wavetrac - so, probably not that much different compared to a discounted M Performance unit? I think someone here said he got an M Perf unit for $2K from one of the dealers that discounts aggressively - no idea if that included shipping.
Thanks! Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #16
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I’m a purist- 6 speed manual for me. But then I track him.

My 2018 M240i is glacier white metallic. I love the color; it’s not a dirt magnet like black or other dark colors.

I live in the metro DC area so snow is not a huge issue. I owned a 2001 330Ci previously and bought 4 steel BMW wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak tires. Never got stuck even when SUVs with their all all-season tires were thrashing about in the snow.

The sound systems-standard and HK-suck. There’s a great thread in the audio section called “Dr Strangelove....” that has great information. My car has the HK system and I’ve replaced the front speakers with Eton speaker from Germany and JLs at the rear. It’s acceprable. Expect to spend $2500 to get a great sounding system. There’s another thread in that section that has a vid that goes through all the changes required to get great sounds. Basically the only parts that are from the factory are the head unit and the wiring.

Edit: here's the link to the vid. Scroll down about half way and the vid is in the post by Audioholics. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...236238&page=36

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 02-20-2019 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #17
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I have an Estoril Blue M240i and I did euro delivery. EBII is an incredible color and it hides dirt really really well, if that's something that is a concern to you. That said, it's definitely a color that stands out so if you live in an area where that is a concern or you don't like getting looks and waves at stop lights then maybe it's not for you.

ED is still an incredible experience and I highly recommend every BMW enthusiast does it at least one. However, it is no longer a financial "deal". With no incentives available other than CCA, coupled with how BMW FS has tilted programs towards incentives and cash credits rather than high residuals and low money factors, you can actually save money by NOT doing ED now :/.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Diffsonline is showing $2,700 for a built diff with a Wavetrac unit plus $95 to ship. Then when you receive the diff, you have to ship back your stock diff which is another $100+. So, at the end, you're out nearly $3,000.

The M Performance LSD is a high quality 3-clutch unit built by Drexler and setup perfectly for street and light track use. Most any racer would say a clutch-based LSD is the ideal setup, but it does wear out over time. Expected service life is 80K+ miles. I paid $2,050 for mine last year from my local BMW dealer and it was installed for $450. You can find the M Performance LSD online from most BMW dealers for around $2200-2300 now and most will knock 10% off.
      02-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #19
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Diffsonline is showing $2,700 for a built diff with a Wavetrac unit plus $95 to ship. Then when you receive the diff, you have to ship back your stock diff which is another $100+. So, at the end, you're out nearly $3,000.

The M Performance LSD is a high quality 3-clutch unit built by Drexler and setup perfectly for street and light track use. Most any racer would say a clutch-based LSD is the ideal setup, but it does wear out over time. Expected service life is 80K+ miles. I paid $2,050 for mine last year from my local BMW dealer and it was installed for $450. You can find the M Performance LSD online from most BMW dealers for around $2200-2300 now and most will knock 10% off.
I paid $2,235 for the diff, $58 to ship the OEM unit back, and $300 for the installation, for a total of $2,593 compared to your $2,500. Whether another buyer can achieve the same installed cost, I do not know. It's my opinion that installed LSDs in the $2,500-3,000 range that meet the buyer's needs are a bargain for the performance improvement they offer.

I've had clutch-based diffs in track and race cars, so I'm familiar with how they behave on the track. I think it's useful to remember that no one here is racing, and that the OP says he's not going to be tracking his car. Given that, is it your belief that a clutch-based diff is a better choice for a street car - or vice-versa, for that matter?

FWIW, I accepted Dan's choice of the Wavetrac because I didn't want a unit that would require maintenance, and I knew it would be entirely satisfactory for me on the track. I suspect that whoever goes back to a BMW dealer for an M Perf diff rebuild is going to be in for a mild shock when the bill is presented - I'm guessing clutch-rebuild type pricing.

Last edited by dradernh; 02-19-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #20
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
M240iX

New here; picking up a 2019 M240iX 02/25/19 in Mineral gray metallic and Coral red with black trim; Premium package. I’m coming from a 2016 428iX in the same color combination which had the HK sound system; the car I am getting has been in inventory for several months; everything else was a convertible which I had no interest in and the deal was super so I’m excited to pick it up on Monday and get out of my lease 2 months early with a good deal; great info here that has helped me with my new car.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I went with a stripper build M240i 6-speed + moonroof delete and do not regret it one bit. The stock audio system does suck, but it's not like it crackles or causes me any pain, so once I'm tuned in to what I'm listening to, it doesn't even cross my mind that it doesn't sound "good enough." The other thing is, I've read so many comments that the HK audio system is not that great compared to other HK-equipped cars e.g. 3-series and up. Just didn't seem worth the gamble since I ordered the car sight unseen. For those who are conscious about the car's weight like me, the thought of having an additional amplifier(s), more speakers, heavier magnets on the speaker, etc. is another factor. Finally, like OP, I did not like being strong-armed into buying the Premium Package just to get better audio or navigation for that matter.

Speaking of which, Navigation is the ONLY thing I wish I had for driving on longer road trips or to unfamiliar destinations, but even then, I would have had to have ugly parking sensors in my bumper and whatever other crap I didn't want or need in my car. TBH, unless I'm just cruising on an interstate at a constant speed covering long distances, which is rarely ever with this car, I choose to keep the radio is off, the phone is put away, and I'm listening to the beautiful soundtrack of that glorious B58 while I explore for new backroads and keep an eye (and ear) out for the fuzz.

In the end, it all depends on how you use your car. The Nissan Armada I just ordered has a nice Bose system. The Volvo beater I have in the driveway for shuttling the dog and whatnot also has Premium audio and sounds fantastic, but I drive both of these cars every day and drive them slow and steady like your grandma would. I have nothing better to do other than turn the radio up and chill out as I scan the road ahead.

No one can give you an answer - just perspective. You'll just have to think nice and hard about what you want vs. what you need and all the pros and cons that come with it.

Best of luck!
      02-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #22
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
My 240iX

New here; picking up a 2019 M240iX on 02/25/19 in Mineral gray metallic and Coral red with black trim; Premium package. I’m coming from a 2016 428iX in the same color combination which had the HK sound system; the car I am getting has been in inventory for several months; everything else was a convertible which I had no interest in and the deal was super so I’m excited to pick it up on Monday and get out of my lease 2 months early with a good deal; great info here that has helped me with my new car. Photos coming after delivery !
Appreciate 0