THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum AWD in Rain

02-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #23
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

With tyre pressures over 14bar / 200PSI and narrow body aircraft landing weights of about 10 tons per tyre and wide body aircraft around 20 tons per tyre, hydro / aquaplaning with landing speeds in the range of 230 to 290 km/h (130 to 160 knots) is not a major problem. Most of the deceleration above 180km/h (100 knots) is from reverse thrust and with the anti-skid system engaged, the braking is fine on wet runways.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #24
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

[QUOTE=omera60;24373701]That’s why when landing on contaminated runways PIC will intentionally slam the aircraft to disperse any standing water thus making perfect contact between the tire and runway surface. Safety first comfort later. There are even limits on how much of standing water you can land on as it can effect the performance of the engine parallel to the water it ingests and brakes efficiency (AvGeek here)

/QUOTE]

I would not use the word "slam". No need for that. Just a little firm does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #25
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
With tyre pressures over 14bar / 200PSI and narrow body aircraft landing weights of about 10 tons per tyre and wide body aircraft around 20 tons per tyre, hydro / aquaplaning with landing speeds in the range of 230 to 290 km/h (130 to 160 knots) is not a major problem. Most of the deceleration above 180km/h (100 knots) is from reverse thrust and with the anti-skid system engaged, the braking is fine on wet runways.
You are correct. It' s not a major issue. Thousands of jets land every day and don't depart the prepared surface. You are however always landing above the speed where you could hydroplane.
I'll disagree with your statement regarding reverse thrust. They are more effective at making noise then stopping. No doubt they do help, especially if the RW is less than good braking action. The meat of the deceleration are brakes especially after the the spoilers are up killing the lift and you have your full weight on your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #26
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
You are correct. It' s not a major issue. Thousands of jets land every day and don't depart the prepared surface. You are however always landing above the speed where you could hydroplane.
I'll disagree with your statement regarding reverse thrust. They are more effective at making noise then stopping. No doubt they do help, especially if the RW is less than good braking action. The meat of the deceleration are brakes especially after the the spoilers are up killing the lift and you have your full weight on your wheels.
In ultimate stopping on a short dry runway, the brakes will be much more effective than reverse thrust, but in normal operation of a 737-800 on a wet runway with steel brakes, reverse thrust is initially more effective. From 130 knots (67m/s) to 100 knots (51m/s) at an average landing weight around 55t it will need to shed 50MJ of energy, a CFM56-7B at 50% reverse thrust (about 20% of maximum thrust) will provide about 20kN of retardation, so a 5 second burst at an average speed of 60m/s will shed 6MJ of energy per engine, so most likely the most significant retardation force during that 5 second burst if you are not in an emergency stop situation.

SOP for 737ng operation at the airline I used to work for was to use reverse thrust for initial retardation on wet runways, the 737-800 needs all the help it can get when the runway is short and wet due to relatively poor speed brake effectiveness and potential aquaplaning.

I’m not a pilot, but was in aeronautical R&D from a degree and career perspective, spending far too much time with aeronautical mathematics but later ended up in IT in the airline industry
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #27
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I personally really like the AWD dynamic for performance driving, despite the overwhelming tradition that RWD is the only 'real' performance setup, also note that it is almost always faster in direct comparisons to RWD. And I don't think that the Audi or Merc systems that were in comparable cars were nearly as good for this when I was shopping - Audi TT and A3/4 felt like FWD, and the mercs felt like trucks (comparing a 2'er to the higher-end competitors isn't really fair, and you can get a LSD for a couple extra grand if that is what makes the diff for you).
Appreciate 0