THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Did you tint your windows? Which film did you use?

02-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #45
arts711
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

3m here, one below ceramic i think. No issues so far
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #46
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
We also have a factory option for a graduated tint on the front windscreen, again, not a film, but part of the glass manufacture.
I miss the cars that came with factory tint on the front windshield in the past
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #47
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Getting Llumar CTX 35% installed this week.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #48
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Can I just clarify, out of interest? Here in the UK (and I assume the rest of the EU) you order tinted as a factory option and the glass itself is dark i.e. not a film tint, but part of the glass. It's often referred to as 'security tinting' (as least in the UK) as it's great at hiding what's inside the car (excessive sunlight not really being any sort of problem here :-). We also have a factory option for a graduated tint on the front windscreen, again, not a film, but part of the glass manufacture.

I assume that state regulations vary so much that BMW just doesn't bother to offer 'integral' tinting as an option in the USA, because there'd be too many combinations?
The tint car companies use is in the glass and is just as you said, security tint. These tints don't block UV rays, have minimum heat rejection and no extra glare protection. I've used LLumar Pinnacle and Stratos. These have 99% and 99.5% UV rejection respectively. The first cost about $400 and Stratos about $650 for all the windows expect the windscreen. Always Ceramic as the less expensive metal ones can block some signals like cell or car signals. Ray Bans don't protect your leather seats or your skin. Just saying.
      05-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #49
Watkins511
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, Ford Bronco

What is your opinion on Stratos vs Pinnacle since you have both? Is it really worth $250+ more for Stratos? Other than being slightly cooler do you notice any difference between the two, do you notice any difference at all? I am looking to get my 328 tinted soon and having a hard time choosing between these two, but honestly I am leaning towards the Pinnacle because on paper they are so similar. Your opinion would certainly help since you have both and are not trying to sell me anything. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #50
Redsauce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Had Suntek 35% installed a few weeks ago. 289.00
Felt confidence in installer.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:29 AM   #51
koston
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Suntek 35% installed after delivery. The 20% looks much nicer but isn't legal in Australia.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #52
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Illegal to have any window tint here. So no
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #53
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Went in to get 3M crystalline 70 all around.

They didn't have so went with ASWF Dimension 70 instead and saved a few bucks.

On paper performance is similar and the heat rejection doesn't demonstrably go up with the darker tints.

The goal was to have as 'non-tinted' a look as possible with heat rejection. I like the view out and like it bright/vivid and even with the 70 it darkens.

I only ended up doing the side windows leaving the windshield and rear window untinted (for now). (the sides are the windows where the sun hits the skin the most).

So far it seems to have a slight greenish cast when viewing out from inside. I would have preferred the blue cast or just neutral. As for heat rejection, the tint isn't designed to keep your car from cooking in the parking lot, (it is irrelevant for that as nothing helps) the heat comes in from the roof. It's to keep the sun off your skin and face and lets the A/C run easier during the day when you're driving. This I certainly have noticed because the fan runs lower on the auto climate control than it used to (the plastics on the dash and doors aren't cooking as fast when leaving the garage).

The only thing I find annoying is that the side windows/mirror are darker than the rear view mirror and windshield which should be uniform. Also the color tinge difference is disconcerting. It's subtle but it's there. Not sure if I'll crystalline the windsheld or go with dimension 70 on the windsheld. But it should be the same view out 360 degrees.

Seth
Appreciate 0