THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes squeak in rear under compression

03-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

squeak in rear under compression

Noticed recently that when my rear end compresses due to bad road surface but not necessarily high speed I get a squeak. Are there any known points like a sway bar bushing or driveshaft bearing that tend to squeak from mileage or age?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Noticed recently that when my rear end compresses due to bad road surface but not necessarily high speed I get a squeak. Are there any known points like a sway bar bushing or driveshaft bearing that tend to squeak from mileage or age?
I have had the same noise, it's very faint on the rear passenger side and only started after I got lowering springs. Hasn't bothered me enough yet to try and figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD11937 View Post
I have had the same noise, it's very faint on the rear passenger side and only started after I got lowering springs. Hasn't bothered me enough yet to try and figure it out.
exactly right, rear passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Digging around in the forums it seems this may be typical of edc suspensions in cold weather. I'm going to see if it goes away as weather gets warmer and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep

After some more listening where it echoed off walls and the way the noise emerges when turning I think the noise is my rear sway bar bushings - almost certain.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Perhaps unrelated, but I get a metallic screech type noise when I've parked and I'm getting out of the car (it is the vertical body motion), and w/ the e-brake on. Mine is a base suspension, not the adj kind FWIW. To me it sounded like s/t rubbing on the backing plate (it had that thin metallic sound). I've not noticed it while driving, but may well have missed it - I'll listen more closely. And for me it sounded more driver's side?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Perhaps unrelated, but I get a metallic screech type noise when I've parked and I'm getting out of the car (it is the vertical body motion), and w/ the e-brake on. Mine is a base suspension, not the adj kind FWIW. To me it sounded like s/t rubbing on the backing plate (it had that thin metallic sound). I've not noticed it while driving, but may well have missed it - I'll listen more closely. And for me it sounded more driver's side?
I’ve heard emergency brakes,when on, squeak when people get to in & out of their parked car. And I’ve heard shocks puff doing the same.

If I press down on back of car I can’t reproduce the noice. But yesterday in the slow turns when I heard the noise I thinks it’s frm sway bar twist.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      03-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

At this point you can speculate all you want but your best bet is to take it into the dealer. I don't know if you remember my past post about a clunking from the front driver suspension. Well, long story short; took it in twice and they couldn't replicate it. On the third visit, a different tech heard the clunk so I got the work order written up. 8 days later and after basically taking all the suspension components out and replacing/greasing a plethora of things, they found it was actually was the driver side hood hinge of all things. They had 2 mechanics and the shop foreman working on the car and test driving it when finished and wanted me to drive with the foreman to verify that it was fixed. It was a long, drawn out process but no more clunking for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
At this point you can speculate all you want but your best bet is to take it into the dealer. I don't know if you remember my past post about a clunking from the front driver suspension. Well, long story short; took it in twice and they couldn't replicate it. On the third visit, a different tech heard the clunk so I got the work order written up. 8 days later and after basically taking all the suspension components out and replacing/greasing a plethora of things, they found it was actually was the driver side hood hinge of all things. They had 2 mechanics and the shop foreman working on the car and test driving it when finished and wanted me to drive with the foreman to verify that it was fixed. It was a long, drawn out process but no more clunking for me.
I wonder if one of the electronic squeak and rattle finder units would have helped. Amazon has the Steelman unit at $106 (https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-0660...dp/B000IHIAES/), and Snap-On has a Blue Point-branded unit for quite a bit more, described below in an image from their current catalog. A few reviews of the product type can be seen here: https://community.cartalk.com/t/late...is-ears/102459.

Last edited by dradernh; 03-13-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I wonder if one of the electronic squeak and rattle finder units would have helped. Amazon has the Steelman unit at $106 (https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-0660...dp/B000IHIAES/), and Snap-On has a Blue Point-branded unit for quite a bit more, described below in an image from their current catalog. A few reviews of the product type can be seen here: https://community.cartalk.com/t/late...is-ears/102459.

LOL such a thing exists? It says "groans" so that body in the trunk can be found
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep

I'm the original poster on the squeak.
So, yesterday I planned on taking the car into the dealer for the squeak. But first, I wanted to wash the car, figure the techs would rather work on a clean car, my front wheels were black and the car was probably dusted in the salt-brine the road crews use for snow/ice management.

Pull out of the driveway after the cleaning and the noise was gone. This morning parked up on the fourth floor of a parking garage, when I was last in the garage the car moaned on every corner, today all I could hear was the clutch (pressure plate ?) every time I shifted, suspension was quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
tdaniels2
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 8spd AplineWH

Shot in the dark, but you and I have a lot in common:
-cars are old enough to be out of warranty
-troublesome noise in rear suspension over unlevel road
-we both drive 6spd.
-we both have second guessed the noise, hear something coming from clutch engagement, or clutch related(pressureplate)

is this an exaggerated version of the rear noise you hear sometimes?

I only get a brief instance pulling in and out driveway, or hitting the road markers/speed bump at 10-15 miles an hour.

I think we have both noises happening. I think the noises are only a little related. I think that aren't always occuring so you are fixating on whichever one is present. Basically I've been digging thru forums, I think that these are all just wear and tear bushings that need to be replaced.

The bushing that need to be replaced on our lower control arms are like $10 on rockauto. The part # is https://www.carid.com/moog/rear-lowe...n-k201291.html
There just so happens to be another bushing on our shifters. Which would explain a little bit of chatter, as well as the little squeak after a quick in gear gas feather at low speeds.
I have a clutch waiting because I thought this one was about the shit the bed at 65k miles. I think that the rearLCA bearings(1 on each side, probably change all) are the issues. SHifter arm bushing-
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/25118614288/

Most of the f22's and f30's dont have manuals. 95% of the people in hear may not be able to relate and to the chatter and clutch/drivetrain noise. I think both are happening at once.

I'll update once I get them put in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

It took me 2 tries to the dealership before they admit it and took them some time to troubleshoot it.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1492006