THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Stoptech BBK front / 4 piston rear?

07-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Stoptech BBK front / 4 piston rear?

Hi All,

My m235i is pretty much a permanent track car at this point and I have a question about upgrading to a 6 piston big brake kit in the front.

If I do that, can I put the 4 piston m performance caliper in the rear (the one that's currently on the front)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedAholic View Post
can I put the 4 piston m performance caliper in the rear
My guess is that unless someone has already created mounting brackets to position that caliper in the rear, you'd need to have them fabricated. That could be costly, but I don't know how much it might cost.

Then there's the matter of front-to-rear brake bias. The kit you're considering almost surely assumes:

1) You'll keep your OEM rear calipers; or,

2) You'll install a rear kit made by the front kit's manufacturer that is sized so that the original brake bias in maintained.

You can get around that issue by installing a brake bias adjuster.

The bottom line is you can do just about anything as long as neither physics nor cost hold you back.

Last edited by dradernh; 07-03-2019 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
My guess is that unless someone has already created mounting brackets to position that caliper in the rear, you'd need to have them fabricated. That could be costly, but I don't know how much it might cost.

Then there's the matter of front-to-rear brake bias. The kit you're considering almost surely assumes:

2) You'll install a rear kit made by the front kit's manufacturer that is sized so that the original brake bias in maintained.

The bottom line is you can do just about anything as long as neither physics nor cost hold you back.

Thanks! Brembo does make a 4 piston rear kit for the m235i. Stoptech only has a front kit from what I understand.

I'll look into the adjuster and see if I can find out how brembo is mounting it in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! Brembo does make a 4 piston rear kit for the m235i. Stoptech only has a front kit from what I understand.

I'll look into the adjuster and see if I can find out how brembo is mounting it in the rear.
I actually just found a rear kit on bimmerworld by stoptech. In the title is says rear but in the description it states front. I'll have to email them.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

FWIW, if it's braking power you're concerned about, the OEM rear caliper is almost certainly capable of anything short of endurance racing.

Bimmerworld knows BMWs backwards and forwards. If you call or IM them and tell them what you're doing with your car, they're an excellent source for ending up with what you need (and not what you don't need).

Note that Stoptech's listed here include a 4-piston rear caliper (at least I'm pretty sure it's a 4-piston caliper):

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1607481.

Last edited by dradernh; 07-03-2019 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

FWIW, if it's braking power you're concerned about, the OEM rear caliper is almost certainly capable of anything short of endurance racing.

Bimmerworld knows BMWs backwards and forwards. If you call or IM them and tell them what you're doing with your car, they're an excellent source for ending up with what you need (and not what you don't need).

Note that Stoptech's listed here include a 4-piston rear caliper (at least I'm pretty sure it's a 4-piston caliper):

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607481.
Thanks! I actually have a very similar build with the racing cup widebody etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I envy your ability to fit wider wheels and tires.

Can you share with us your total cost for the wide-body kit, including installation, painting, shipping, etc., etc.?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I envy your ability to fit wider wheels and tires.

Can you share with us your total cost for the wide-body kit, including installation, painting, shipping, etc., etc.?
Sure, I didn't paint the car I got it vinyl wrapped.

Painting was going to be a lot more because it's dry carbon fiber and it takes a lot to prep for paint, so the paint doesn't soak through the fibers after a year or so.

You have to take out the entire rear interior to install the kit then reassemble. Also, you have drill through the body and cut all 4 fenders for fitment. You won't ever be able to go back to stock.

Kit and parts: About $10k shipped
Installation and vinyl wrap: $6k

You can see the car on IG @baggedaholic
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Painting was going to be a lot more because it's dry carbon fiber and it takes a lot to prep for paint, so the paint doesn't soak through the fibers after a year or so.

You have to take out the entire rear interior to install the kit then reassemble. Also, you have drill through the body and cut all 4 fenders for fitment. You won't ever be able to go back to stock.

Thanks...appreciate it.

The car looks very nice - well done! You've likely already posted it elsewhere, but what size tires are you running?

I had a wide-bodied E36, and was generally familiar with the process, so I'd pegged it at ~$15K. What I didn't know is that the parts are dry CF, nor that dry CF drives the paint work cost higher.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks...appreciate it.

The car looks very nice - well done! You've likely already posted it elsewhere, but what size tires are you running?

I had a wide-bodied E36, and was generally familiar with the process, so I'd pegged it at ~$15K. What I didn't know is that the parts are dry CF, nor that dry CF drives the paint work cost higher.
On the current 18x10 et +25 wheels I'm running 265/35/18, but in order for them to fit flush I had to run 28mm of spacers.

I have custom bbs wheels coming that will not require spacers at 18x11 et +13 that I'm planning to run 285/35s.

I'm also contemplating selling the car and getting a Porsche but it's fun passing Porsche's on the track in a BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
On the current 18x10 et +25 wheels I'm running 265/35/18, but in order for them to fit flush I had to run 28mm of spacers.

I have custom bbs wheels coming that will not require spacers at 18x11 et +13 that I'm planning to run 285/35s.

I'm also contemplating selling the car and getting a Porsche but it's fun passing Porsche's on the track in a BMW
The 18X11s w/285s sound pretty much ideal for your car.

I too enjoy passing Porsches; I especially enjoy it when they're GT3s!

Going way OT here...

This is a generalization, but is it your perception that the further above $100K the price of a car is, the further the driver stays from the edge of the pavement from turn-in through apex and then on to track-out?

I don't mean to knock that, mind you - heck, I might well be doing something similar if I were driving a GTn (xx), a Ferrari Challenge car, or a Lambo.

It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the track-day insurance companies cut you loose after your first ball-up in one of the super cars, whereas a friend totaled his FR-S a while back, and he's got a rebuilt car and no issues with continuing to buy insurance from the same outfit.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
This is a generalization, but is it your perception that the further above $100K the price of a car is, the further the driver stays from the edge of the pavement from turn-in through apex and then on to track-out?

I don't mean to knock that, mind you - heck, I might well be doing something similar if I were driving a GTn (xx), a Ferrari Challenge car, or a Lambo.

It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the track-day insurance companies cut you loose after your first ball-up in one of the super cars, whereas a friend totaled his FR-S a while back, and he's got a rebuilt car and no issues with continuing to buy insurance from the same outfit.
I would say it is very much dependent on the individual who owns the car and whether they have the money to self-insure, as most I have asked with high value cars don’t have track day insurance.

The biggest repair job over the past few years at the track I attend was probably over $200K for a badly damaged Maserati MC12. At the auto-x sessions I attend, two of the highest value crashes over the past few years were a totalled F90 M5 that ended up through a fence into a nearby drainage ditch and an almost totalled Ferrari 355 that hit a curb and went through a fence. Sometimes the fastest cars in fast venues can have big offs, especially at auto-x events where you can hit 140km/h (85mph) at certain points in the course, no matter how safe the organizers try to make the layout.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah the thing that gets me sometimes on the track, especially with gt3rs's, is it the car or the driver? I've been in a few of them and they hug corners and don't run the correct race lines because of all wheel steering etc. I love passing by running the correct lines, even with all season tires. When I get quicker and then upgrade my brakes and tires, game is on!!! 😁
Appreciate 0