THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 19x8.5 best offset for square setup?

06-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Aledfranz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

19x8.5 best offset for square setup?

Hi,
I am new to the forum and this is my first excursion in buying a set of wheels. I have been searching a lot on here, but I am struggling to come to a conclusion on what setup I should run.
The wheels I am looking at purchasing can have a custom offset, the company recommended me to get +42, but from what I've been reading a +40 may be better?
On top of this, I would like to not have to mess with alignment largely due to the fact no one in my area will touch this car. I have only found one place that is willing to try and it's over an hour away. I would like to run a 255/35r19 square setup, but I understand -2°+ is required. Could this be negated with a 245?
Any insight is greatly appreciated, I just have not been able to find what I'm looking for in the forums already.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aledfranz View Post
Hi,
I am new to the forum and this is my first excursion in buying a set of wheels. I have been searching a lot on here, but I am struggling to come to a conclusion on what setup I should run.
The wheels I am looking at purchasing can have a custom offset, the company recommended me to get +42, but from what I've been reading a +40 may be better?
On top of this, I would like to not have to mess with alignment largely due to the fact no one in my area will touch this car. I have only found one place that is willing to try and it's over an hour away. I would like to run a 255/35r19 square setup, but I understand -2°+ is required. Could this be negated with a 245?
Any insight is greatly appreciated, I just have not been able to find what I'm looking for in the forums already.
Thanks!
245s are probably the limit without modifications. Several of us are running square 245s. I believe that most of us with this set up are using 8" wide wheels. An 8.5" width may be problematic even with the 245s without other modifications.

For those of us running square 245s, I think most are using 18" diameter wheels. That may be worth checking into since you're looking to do 19". I have two 245 square set ups -- one in 18" and one in 17" diameter.

You might consider ordering a higher offset, say 43 or 42, and then use spacers to move the wheels out if necessary. A 3mm spacer could get you to 40 or 39. My 18s are et 45 and I use a spacer to get 42. My 17s are et 43 and I use the same spacers to get to 40. I only use the spacers in the front currently.

Which wheels are you considering for a custom offset? I would love a set of HREs, but too much $$$.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Aledfranz
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aledfranz View Post
Hi,
Thanks!
245s are probably the limit without modifications. Several of us are running square 245s. I believe that most of us with this set up are using 8" wide wheels. An 8.5" width may be problematic even with the 245s without other modifications.

For those of us running square 245s, I think most are using 18" diameter wheels. That may be worth checking into since you're looking to do 19". I have two 245 square set ups -- one in 18" and one in 17" diameter.

You might consider ordering a higher offset, say 43 or 42, and then use spacers to move the wheels out if necessary. A 3mm spacer could get you to 40 or 39. My 18s are et 45 and I use a spacer to get 42. My 17s are et 43 and I use the same spacers to get to 40. I only use the spacers in the front currently.

Which wheels are you considering for a custom offset? I would love a set of HREs, but too much $$$.
Thanks! I'm looking at Stance SF07s. The smallest size offered is a 19x8.5. I'm hoping to figure something out to fit them. If I have to mess with the alignment I will, but preferred not to have to lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Aledfranz
United_States
Rep

Another question would be is it necessary to get camber plates for -2° of front camber?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Don't know on the camber question as I have never messed with the camber because I swap back and forth between summer performance and winter wheels/tires. I also don't like the aesthetics of negative camber.

Are you planning to run the 19" diameter wheels in the winter in OH? The 19s are going to be more vulnerable to damage even in the summer.

There are not a multitude of "off the rack" wheels for our F22. Moreover, I suspect the 19" diameter is why 8.5 is the narrowest width in the Stance Wheels. Apex has some fitment notes on their website. I suspect you will need to be in the high to mid 30s offset-wise.

Running 225 width tires all around is another option.

Another option is custom wheels. For example, both HRE and Signature offer custom wheels that are similar in design and you could get a 8" width, which will fit better, along with any offset desired; see:

https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-p1sc/p101sc

or

https://www.signaturewheel.com/product-page/sv104

Both of these custom wheels are more expensive in part because they are true forged wheels. They will be more durable than the "rotary forged" (basically cast) wheels.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
Aledfranz
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
Don't know on the camber question as I have never messed with the camber because I swap back and forth between summer performance and winter wheels/tires. I also don't like the aesthetics of negative camber.

Are you planning to run the 19" diameter wheels in the winter in OH? The 19s are going to be more vulnerable to damage even in the summer.

There are not a multitude of "off the rack" wheels for our F22. Moreover, I suspect the 19" diameter is why 8.5 is the narrowest width in the Stance Wheels. Apex has some fitment notes on their website. I suspect you will need to be in the high to mid 30s offset-wise.

Running 225 width tires all around is another option.

Another option is custom wheels. For example, both HRE and Signature offer custom wheels that are similar in design and you could get a 8" width, which will fit better, along with any offset desired; see:

https://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-p1sc/p101sc

or

https://www.signaturewheel.com/product-page/sv104

Both of these custom wheels are more expensive in part because they are true forged wheels. They will be more durable than the "rotary forged" (basically cast) wheels.
Alright thanks! The car will be put up for most of the winter, but if I do have it out it will be on the stock 18s. I like the look of the 19s for summer and plan to throw something stickier on them for some autocross events. The roads I typically drive are not too bad, but I am slightly concerned about potholes taking them out lol. The set from stance will only run about $1300 though, so if I have a buy a new wheel from damage I can handle the $325 loss if it came down to it. I have a buddy that had an RS5 with SF01s from stance and he didn't have much of a problem running lower profile tires than I am looking at.
I might bite the bullet and take my chances. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me a straight answer as to whether it could be done without requiring an alignment. If I do, I'll be sure to write up my findings on here!
Appreciate 0