THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing HPDE and glazed rotors

01-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
NaOH228i
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

HPDE and glazed rotors

I just signed up for my second HPDE at Buttonwillow later this year in March. My brother and I did the same event last year and had a blast so we didn’t hesitate to sign up again. My 228i has the THP and I felt was very fun and safe during the 2 day event.

The only problem that I had after the weekend was my brakes started squeeling badly afterwards. I took it into an independent shop and they informed me my rotors were glazed. They suggested I either upgrade my brakes or see if the dealership would fix/replace my pads and rotors under warranty. The dealership ended up shaving down the rotors and replacing the pads under warranty but they didn’t seem super happy about it. Going into this second HPDE I would like to avoid this problem.

Is the THP just a marketing gimmick and geared more towards spirited driving, autox, and looking cool and not really for moderate track sessions? I’m thinking of brake fluid change to something track oriented like Motul RBF600 and switch pads to EBC Yellows. I guess I’m looking for some advice from more experienced folks on where to go with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

The M Sport brakes are pretty solid with the THP. I have three HPDEs (including VIR) on my 228i and the brakes never faded. They do squeak now. I had the dealer clean them, put copper dust on, etc but as soon as I returned to the track again they started squeaking.

Unless you are going to change pads just for the HPDE there aren't many options.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I would suggest you go over to the Suspension / Chassis / Brakes sub-forum and read through the Brake Pad thread. Lots of good info in there on pads. Your idea of switching over to the EBC Yellows and Motul 600 is pretty much the stock answer to your question. Lots of other good info there also.

Whether pads squeak seems to be dependent on a wide variety of factors. The exact same setup will squeak for some, and be quiet for others. (Might be some sensitivity to the sound also.) I've found on all my cars that some brake grease on the back of the pads does more to quiet them than almost anything else. You need to stop the pad vibration to make them quiet, so some sort of gooey substance will help to damp them and lower the noise.

Just make sure the substance stays on the BACK of the pad. Never put anything on the face of the pad that touches the rotor. That will always wear out quickly, and could be dangerous if it reduces stopping force.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      01-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralawren View Post
The M Sport brakes are pretty solid with the THP. I have three HPDEs (including VIR) on my 228i and the brakes never faded. They do squeak now. I had the dealer clean them, put copper dust on, etc but as soon as I returned to the track again they started squeaking.

Unless you are going to change pads just for the HPDE there aren't many options.
for the 228, yes they are adequate for the track with just fluid and pad upgrade. Stock will be fine with a slower driver in a 228.

For a m235, m240, they are not... Car is much faster and the brakes will go numb after 2 laps if you late brake and are on them hard. They will glaze over by the last session and the drive home will be interesting....

As suggested;

- stainless steel hose upgrade
- motul 600 or other dot 4 racing fluid
- EBC yellow or similar street/track pad
- Dimpled and slotted rotors, (BMW OEM, Stop Tech, Zimmerman)
- dedicated track pads for anything more than light hpde duty or autox

Next would be to take a look at your tires... Pilot super sports don't belong anywhere near a track. Maybe jump to some re71r's if you plan on doing any type of tracking or hard driving.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50