THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Recommendations for M235i winter wheel/tire setup. What did you do?

08-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #45
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Apparently the only run flat options, and last year, a Tire Rack expert told, point blank, that these were not adequate in ascending hills in snow, much less sometimes heavy snow. The truly sad part is that I have two virtually new 17 inch Dunlap 3D Winter Sport run flats in the garage (left over from my 335ix) which I had hoped to simply add to, and buy new wheels for, but it appears that is not an option.

NEW
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 Run FlatNot Yet Rated | Reviews (4)
Click to Compare
PIRELLI
WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 RUN FLAT
Performance Winter / Snow
Size: 225/40R18 92V XL
Star RSC BMW, Run Flat
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: None
Special Offer: Buy a set of four and get a $50 Tire Rack Prepaid MasterCard now and a $50 Tire Rack Gift Certificate later.
Qty:Per Tire:

$217.20
Availability: In Stock
Can be delivered Tue, 08/23 to 48348 for $14.28 per tire.
Set of 4: $868.80
Price After Mail-In Rebate: $818.80Free Road Hazard Protection
($67.52 value. Exclusions apply.)Add to Cart
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat
(40)
| Reviews (34)
Click to Compare

PIRELLI
WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II RUN FLAT
Performance Winter / Snow
Size: 225/40R18 92V XL
Run Flat
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: None
Special Offer: Buy a set of four and get a $50 Tire Rack Prepaid MasterCard now and a $50 Tire Rack Gift Certificate later.
Qty:Per Tire:

$212.49
Availability: In Stock
Can be delivered Tue, 08/23 to 48348 for $14.28 per tire.
Set of 4: $849.96
Price After Mail-In Rebate: $799.96Free Road Hazard Protection
($66.00 value. Exclusions apply.)Add to Cart
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
After further research at Tire Rack, it looks like a mistake to go with 17 inch wheels, at least with the M235i. There are quite a few more options in snow tires with 18's. Unfortunate given that going to the smaller size is almost always the better option for a set of winter wheels and tires.

Oops, scratch that. Only two run flat options available, one is discontinued and limited availability, and honestly, I don't want either choice
Quote:
I understand your position. And I truly wish Car and Driver had also included dry and wet road performance of the tires as that is very important to me. Where I live, the winter cycle, and need for the tires is almost five months (generally the third week in November until the third week in April). While we certainly get snow (average 65-75 inches at my home) my estimate would still be that I'm driving on wet or dry roads for 75% of the winter, so how the tires handle those conditions is also very relevant.
Runflat does add a layer of complexity. However, putting that aside, it sounds like you would prefer the Michelin XIcexi3. I don't know of a studless winter tire I'd prefer, given your desires.

I have 17" wheels/tires over my MSport brakes (Track Package, essentially identical to a M235i) for both my winter tire setup (which I don't use anymore, now that I have a beater/winter car Subaru) and my daily setup. If you saw earlier photos of my car, those are 17" BBS wheels. The winter wheels are Anzio. No problem with caliper clearance. Just talk to Brian or whomever you find there about getting the right wheels.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #47
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Apparently the only run flat options, and last year, a Tire Rack expert told, point blank, that these were not adequate in ascending hills in snow, much less sometimes heavy snow.
Why not forget runflat for the winter, throw any modestly compatible wheel/tire assembly in trunk as a spare just to get you home, if needed, and get the better winter tires instead, such as the Michelin?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #48
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
It's worth a browse just to see what's on offer from BMW themselves. If you're doing ED in the winter, can you order winters instead of summers?
They'll set you up with rental winters and (I believe) store your standard set.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #49
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Why not forget runflat for the winter, throw any modestly compatible wheel/tire assembly in trunk as a spare just to get you home, if needed, and get the better winter tires instead, such as the Michelin?
I may well have to do that, which, of course, also means buying a jack, some tools, etc. just to get a good option in a winter tire. Of course, thats going to make space pretty limited in the trunk for necessities like groceries, picking up packages, and other things.

And thanks for mentioning your Anzio wheels. There is a wheel from them that I think would be perfect for my winter setup, and very affordable too. It appears you are happy with the quality of their wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #50
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I may well have to do that, which, of course, also means buying a jack, some tools, etc. just to get a good option in a winter tire. Of course, thats going to make space pretty limited in the trunk for necessities like groceries, picking up packages, and other things.

And thanks for mentioning your Anzio wheels. There is a wheel from them that I think would be perfect for my winter setup, and very affordable too. It appears you are happy with the quality of their wheels?
Yes, very....

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058561
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #51
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The ones I am considering:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...taggered+Tires
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #52
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Wow...those look great! I think with the 7.5 width, you need the 215 tread width, but check to see if 205 will fit...if I remember, may be too narrow. Either is fine, and better than 225 for winter, but conceptually, narrow is the preference.

P.S. I see those are pressure cast, which produces a higher quality wheel than gravity cast...reinforces the good choice!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #53
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow...those look great! I think with the 7.5 width, you need the 215 tread width, but check to see if 205 will fit...if I remember, may be too narrow. Either is fine, and better than 225 for winter, but conceptually, narrow is the preference.

P.S. I see those are pressure cast, which produces a higher quality wheel than gravity cast...reinforces the good choice!
Thanks, I'll check with Tire Rack on the tread width and wheel sizing. And I think your suggestion of the Michelin XIcexi3 may well be my best option.

I notice we're both in Michigan, where are you located? I'm about ten minutes north of Pine Knob, at the very end of a snowfield that routes down from Lansing and ensures extra snow every winter just to add to the fun climbing the hills with a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #54
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check with Tire Rack on the tread width and wheel sizing. And I think your suggestion of the Michelin XIcexi3 may well be my best option.

I notice we're both in Michigan, where are you located? I'm about ten minutes north of Pine Knob, at the very end of a snowfield that routes down from Lansing and ensures extra snow every winter just to add to the fun climbing the hills with a car.
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #55
bcw550ix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmugmotleocay View Post
I picked up another set of 436 orbit grey wheels from Brian at Sun Motors. I just ordered Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and tpms from Tire Rack. Does anybody have any experience with these tires? They got great reviews.
I used the PA4s last winter on my 550 xdrive and they performed very well. Very solid through a couple snowstorms here in the northeast.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #56
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
225/45R17 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 on 17x7.5 Matte Titanium Monte TITANO MT1 Piana

Looks great and the tires were awesome all winter
I'll second that as it is my exact set-up. Didn't have much snow in Chicagoland last Winter but they did the trick for what we got
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #57
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Hakkapeliitta R2, does not get better then that. Get 225 width. 215 and 205 are to narrow. I live in NE drive car all winter no issues at all!
      08-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #58
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
Hakkapeliitta R2, does not get better then that. Get 225 width. 215 and 205 are to narrow. I live in NE drive car all winter no issues at all!
Yes, excellent tires, although $$ and not easy to find. Please explain "too narrow" from your point of view.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #59
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Runflat Blizzak LM 60's I think they were...Love em and they're worthy of the car and don't kill the ride or handling. Awesome in all sorts of Midwestern Winter.

On my wifes X4, I just put on Blizzak WS80's and I like those a lot too.

Big difference in snow/ice and performance snow tires though. I'm sure thats been discussed already in this thread.
      08-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #60
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Yes, excellent tires, although $$ and not easy to find. Please explain "too narrow" from your point of view.
I bought the 205 R2 and found I was spinning them out all the time on dry roads. Sold them went with the 225 width, so much better on dry roads and I do not feel like I gave up anything in snow traction with the wider width.
P.S. I do have dedicated rims for the snow tires. Went with 17 square. Yes they are a little more in $$ but still cheaper then your deductible if you get into an accident plus safety as well.
      08-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #61
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Please explain "too narrow" from your point of view.
Well, pending a different response, here's the issue for those for whom this may be a new topic....

The weight of the car is a constant. As the treadwidth narrows, the contact patch of the tire on the surface is a smaller area. A constant weight on a smaller contact patch increases the downforce per square inch...a smaller area to hold up the same weight. This helps the tire do one of two things...increase traction on the snow surface (like putting weight in the trunk), or cut through the snow to reach the road surface. Either way, the effect is beneficial.

With a wider than necessary tire, the reverse reduces the downforce psi on the surface, allow the tire to ride more on top. This is similar to a person putting on a snowshoe to walk on the top of the snow. Helpful for a person, but not for a car trying to gain traction.

The most common other side of the argument is that for dry days, the narrower tire reduces dry road handling. This is true, but for the winter, one can set their own priorities...more effective through snow or driving like it's still Spring/Summer/Fall. If you can live with less than 8-9/10ths driving to get through the winter, my assessment is that the narrower tire to be more effective on snow/ice wins.

And, also keep in mind, many folks assess a winter tire based on how well it gets them going. That is a useful measure of the convenience factor. Much of the value of a max capability winter tire is for sudden stopping/turning in the unexpected moment (glad for those who haven't had one yet that was close enough) which makes the difference between clearing the sudden obstacle when someone else does something wrong or loses control, and making contact.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #62
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I bought the 205 R2 and found I was spinning them out all the time on dry roads. Sold them went with the 225 width, so much better on dry roads and I do not feel like I gave up anything in snow traction with the wider width.
P.S. I do have dedicated rims for the snow tires. Went with 17 square. Yes they are a little more in $$ but still cheaper then your deductible if you get into an accident plus safety as well.
Guess I jumped the gun before you answered...thanks for the reply. Yes, dry road is compromised by a narrower tread width. My answer for the winter is to be easier on the throttle and drive like it's a "normal" car and not a BMW! I realize you may not feel that snow traction was compromised, but as discussed above, there would be a measurable margin of difference if the set up was "stress tested" by an emergency maneuver.

Yes, again, Nokian are excellent!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #63
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i View Post
Runflat Blizzak LM 60's I think they were...Love em and they're worthy of the car and don't kill the ride or handling. Awesome in all sorts of Midwestern Winter.

On my wifes X4, I just put on Blizzak WS80's and I like those a lot too.

Big difference in snow/ice and performance snow tires though. I'm sure thats been discussed already in this thread.
I ran Blizzaks on both of my S2000's. Great tire in snow and ok on ice if you drive with caution. Had them mounted on inexpensive wheels from Tire Rack. Got me through several winters.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #64
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Guess I jumped the gun before you answered...thanks for the reply. Yes, dry road is compromised by a narrower tread width. My answer for the winter is to be easier on the throttle and drive like it's a "normal" car and not a BMW! I realize you may not feel that snow traction was compromised, but as discussed above, there would be a measurable margin of difference if the set up was "stress tested" by an emergency maneuver.

Yes, again, Nokian are excellent!
I agree with your post. Life is about balance and trade offs. Even in snowy climates where I live you still spend a lot of time on dry roads and wanted to drive the BMW like a BMW (as best you can with snows on). Again in my experience the give on snow traction was so negligible compared to what the dry traction is that it was a no brainer for me.
      08-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #65
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Plus in my area you need to put the snows on the end of Oct or early Nov as we get early snow on occasion. On the back end of winter you keep them until late April as we get snow as well. So it's a long time to have snows on without having fun. That was another factor that went into the equation.
      08-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #66
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

+1 for Nokian, but I run their winter-rated "all-weather" WR G3, 225/40R18, square set up on a a winter set of rims.

I'm near Detroit, MI and typically don't get a lot of snow, but more ice.

A couple of years ago, Consumer Reports had the WR G3 as the third-rated winter tire, up against dedicated winter tires.

I've been very pleased with the performance in all conditions, including several inches of snow.

If you usually get a lot of snow, then a narrower tire like a 205 would be a good idea.