THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum AC stops cooling after cruising at speed

07-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
Richard Welch
Rwelch
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I have experienced air conditioning ceasing to blow cold air after an hour or so highway driving in hot temps. I did not have the air on max cooling when this occurred.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #24
JMartz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Cool Evap Freeze

Once the evap is frozen and occluded, no a/c setting will work. Ice has to melt so air can exchange its heat withe refrigerant in the evap.

I am puzzled as to why the current low temp setting of my evap would suddenly cause it to freeze; after 3 and 1/2 years of normal function. Just don't buy a software fix, especially one that will reduce cooling capacity. This car would consistently keep 38F at the center register. Could it be that the drain in the evap box has plugged? Long shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #25
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Evap freezing is very complicated issue and not very easy problem to replicate.

It needs certain ambient temp/humidity, temp setting and blower speed.
Even with perfect condition for freezing, freeze probe is there to prevent it while having the most cooling capacity possible.

I think it occurs on random cars. (fairly small percentage I guess)
For those who have the issue, they just update the software. (cheap/quick fix)

Drain plug could be an issue. Although you may see water pooling somewhere inside for that case.

It can be the evaporator coating, which may be worn off now. So the water drainage from the evap fins are not as good as before.

If the problem consist or see any degradation of AC performance, visit dealer ASAP before the warranty expires. It may be the hardware issue (faulty freeze probe, loose probe etc.)

Also, slightly low level of refrigerant charge can be the cause of freezing.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

No, I just had the A/C on set at 72 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #27
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

Agreed. My SA said if my software was not the current version then the update should work. If not he was going to have to change out a part. Something to do with the Evaporator but I didn't pay much attention since I was pretty sure the software needed an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #28
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Happened to me for the first time, drove a LOT that day, by the end of the day, I was thinking my condenser may have been punctured or something.. Next morning, working mint again! lol
      07-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #29
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

It seems this is happening to decent number of cars.

Here is a quick tip if it stops blowing air. (from frozen evaporator)

Turn off AC compressor by pressing 'AC' button. (light should be off on AC button)
Keep the blower running at medium to high speed for 5~10 minutes.
It will thaw quickly and AC can start working again normally. (you can turn on AC after the air starts blowing again from vents)
No need to suffer in a hot weather for long drive. Turn off AC for few minute, then you can have cold air blowing again.

Use recirc mode until it gets fixed at dealer. (it freeze less in recirc mode)
Keep the blower speed higher than usual. (if too cold, raise the temp setting)
This is obviously a temporary solution. Visit dealer ASAP.

Ask dealer to check the freeze probe reading when AC is running as well as the refrigerant charge level.
Appreciate 3
dradernh4179.00
Tslbmw69.50
      07-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #30
Richard Welch
Rwelch
Rep

So, I can update on my AC issue. I took it to the dealership, and they updated the software. Will have to take a long trip to see if it actually worked .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #31
19bis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i; 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Welch View Post
So, I can update on my AC issue. I took it to the dealership, and they updated the software. Will have to take a long trip to see if it actually worked .
Was the software update only for the AC module or was it more general?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #32
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartz View Post
Once the evap is frozen and occluded, no a/c setting will work. Ice has to melt so air can exchange its heat withe refrigerant in the evap.

I am puzzled as to why the current low temp setting of my evap would suddenly cause it to freeze; after 3 and 1/2 years of normal function. Just don't buy a software fix, especially one that will reduce cooling capacity. This car would consistently keep 38F at the center register. Could it be that the drain in the evap box has plugged? Long shot.
What about a dirty/clogged cabin air filter? The evap coil in my home's central air system froze over once because I went too long without changing the filter. Same result - no cold air. The air flow was too restricted from the clogged filter to efficiently exchange heat with the cold refrigerant inside the evap coil. To thaw the coil, I first had to put in a clean filter, and then I had to manually turn the blower fan on and ran it for a while with the AC/compressor turned off in order to pass as much warm air as possible over the frozen coil. Everything went back to normal after a couple of hours.

If not a dirty or clogged filter, it is likely something else restricting air flow from efficiently passing over the coil or perhaps the coil itself has become dirty and caked up with dust, insulating it from the warm air passing over it. These systems are not that complicated, so I can't imagine what else it might be... If it's freezing over, that means you have refrigerant and the compressor is doing its job. My bet is restricted air flow or a very dirty evap coil.
      07-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #33
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Literally just had this happen to me yesterday during a 95^F day.

My typical driving in this car is less than 30 miles.

I was on a 50 mile trip, and usually have the car set to auto around 70^F. On this trip, my A/C performance started to gradually degrade so I pressed the MAX A/C button. To my surprise, nothing was really working. I eventually resorted to pulling off on a side street, turning the car off for a minute, and then turning it back on. Worked fine at this point.

I do have a third party warranty. Guess I'll need to make an appointment soon.
      07-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #34
Richard Welch
Rwelch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bis View Post
Was the software update only for the AC module or was it more general?
The update was for the ac module.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #35
JMartz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I was running manual at 72, on the freeway, 70 mph with ambient temp circa 95F.
Appreciate 0