THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Front Brake grinding when coming to stop

07-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Front Brake grinding when coming to stop

Thought I would give this a shot here, no responses on the F30 forum.

I have been having this annoying issue after I replaced my rotors and endlinks a few months back. When I am on the brakes and the car is under 20mph or so the brakes make this intermittent grinding noise, this noise seems to be accentuated by going over uneven surfaces while braking. The noise is odd because it isn't consistent with brake pressure or speed, there will be gaps while braking where it doesn't make noise, then quickly makes a noise of varying levels. When stomping on the brakes sometimes there is a clunk produced. The brakes feel completely normal even when the noise is produced, the rotors are wearing normally too with no rocks stuck in the shield. I only hear this from the front left, but I dont know if that's simply because I'm closest to that corner. Below is a timeline of what I have done(I have bedded in the brakes every time).

--Replaced Rotors and Endlinks (Made the noise and had a shuddering effect when braking with old pads)

--Replaced Pads (Noise still present, shuddering disappeared)

--Replaced Endlinks (Completely silent, now the noise is slowly coming back it seems, less frequency and intensity however)

I feel the car more or less shifting it's weight back to front when it happens, but the pedal feels completely normal. I'm thinking it has to be something suspension/bushing related. Shot top mounts?

Im still confused as to why endlinks would have any impact on noise while braking.
Appreciate 0