THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics My HK upgrade-M240i

06-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

My HK upgrade-M240i

Lots of great information here. I got a couple of recommendations here from members here and here is what I did.

I thought the weakest link was the lack of bass. So I got the bavsound underseat subs.
https://www.bavsound.com/Product/bsd...rade-pair-2ohm

That lasted for a while and then saw @AleksanderSuave great writeups so ordered the rears
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2-Serie...72.m2749.l2649

I had also ordered the front ones
https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-BMW-1-F...72.m2749.l2649

So at this point I am very satisfied with the system. I would Love to have a tunable amp but for now I will leave things alone...

Oh I did go back and read AleksanderSuave report on the center so ordered that....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

How are you liking it?

I was actually considering the underseat upgrades too. Between bavsound, jensen, and of course eton, since the eton speakers play well together

let me know when you get the center in, I bet you'll be as shocked as I was.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
How are you liking it?

I was actually considering the underseat upgrades too. Between bavsound, jensen, and of course eton, since the eton speakers play well together

let me know when you get the center in, I bet you'll be as shocked as I was.

I should have the center anyday. I like the subs, they seem to play slightly louder and deeper bass. They are certainly very easy to install.

I didn't realize how many options there were when I ordered the bavsounds, but I am satisfied with them.

I am sure the eatons are very good also. I like how the eatons have added more mid bass to the subs!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Im still trying to figure out if we need those in-door cross-overs..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Im still trying to figure out if we need those in-door cross-overs..
The crossover looked like just a filter to eliminate bass response from the tweeters? You get an actual crossover?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekler View Post
The crossover looked like just a filter to eliminate bass response from the tweeters? You get an actual crossover?
this is the part I have in mind:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...ass-crossover/

its listed as required on the Eton site, but getting conflicting answers between the owners manual and everything else I've researched.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
this is the part I have in mind:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...ass-crossover/

its listed as required on the Eton site, but getting conflicting answers between the owners manual and everything else I've researched.
Oh OK I had HK system so I didn't have one of those.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Hekler, I am curious to know if you can rate each step of your upgrades by most positive improvement? I have an F23 with HK and I'm thinking about upgrading in the following order, using Etons:

1. Front door midranges and tweeters and center channel.
2. Rear panel midranges and tweeters.
3. Under seat subs.

Rather than committing to all 3 steps I'll stop as soon as I'm content. Any thoughts on this approach? I know convertibles can often really benefit from better subs but that's also the most expensive step ($580-ish). Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Hekler, I am curious to know if you can rate each step of your upgrades by most positive improvement? I have an F23 with HK and I'm thinking about upgrading in the following order, using Etons:

1. Front door midranges and tweeters and center channel.
2. Rear panel midranges and tweeters.
3. Under seat subs.

Rather than committing to all 3 steps I'll stop as soon as I'm content. Any thoughts on this approach? I know convertibles can often really benefit from better subs but that's also the most expensive step ($580-ish). Thanks.
Really good question. I did in the order to my ear needed the most help. So here are my suggestions.

Rear Coaxials by eaton are inexpensive and good value. The center speaker was great value. Also the rears and center are so simple to do. Like 15 minutes.

I liked the subs a lot. Easy to do and a nice bump in the bass. However the eatons help with mid bass also. I would try the rears, the center and see where it is.

No doubt the front tweeters and mids make a big difference as well. Once I started I couldn't stop.....LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
opvaulet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Oh OK I had HK system so I didn't have one of those.....
Did your HK center speaker have a tweeter too? Mine does and I have only one receptacle on the Eton. In replacing with the Eton how did you connect the wire connectors?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #11
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Quote:
Really good question. I did in the order to my ear needed the most help. So here are my suggestions.

Rear Coaxials by eaton are inexpensive and good value. The center speaker was great value. Also the rears and center are so simple to do. Like 15 minutes.

I liked the subs a lot. Easy to do and a nice bump in the bass. However the eatons help with mid bass also. I would try the rears, the center and see where it is.

No doubt the front tweeters and mids make a big difference as well. Once I started I couldn't stop.....LOL
So do it all? Well, you're no help!

J/k, appreciate the response. I may just stick with my proposed order and see how it goes. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opvaulet View Post
Did your HK center speaker have a tweeter too? Mine does and I have only one receptacle on the Eton. In replacing with the Eton how did you connect the wire connectors?
My H-K had a tweeter. The Eatons were coaxials and as I recall had 1 plug in only as well. Plugged it in and it plays fine. Built in crossover.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #13
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
So do it all? Well, you're no help!

J/k, appreciate the response. I may just stick with my proposed order and see how it goes. Thanks.
Your on the right track. I tried to give you what I think made the biggest difference. Looking forward to see what you do!!
Appreciate 0