THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Serious Tire / Alloy Rim Damage - Advice Needed!

04-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #1
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix

Serious Tire / Alloy Rim Damage - Advice Needed!

It’s spring in the northeast which means countless potholes awaiting repair, many on uncharted roads. I’m not sure when this horror happened but I just discovered a very ugly gash on the sidewall on my front right run-flat. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, this looks beyond repair.

The other injury sustained here is to 18” Alloy Wheel, but I’m not sure to what degree. See the attached photos that illustrate two views of the damage plus the upper, undamaged part of the wheel and tire for context.

Complicating things is that I’m 40 miles from home, out of state, so I’m trying to calculate the risk of driving home. My tire gauge indicates no lost air from the tire and there’s been no tire pressure alert.

I'm very interested in hearing opinions on what I’m facing and what my best options are. One more thing to point out is that I’m a member of AAA and have BMW Roadside Assistance too, so would probably qualify for a flatbed trip home.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
khoanguyen0705
Kh Ng
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 F83

The fact that the car does not show you any indicator kinda scary because your tire has a big gash. You should just have your car towed back home or to any closest tires shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I would not drive further on that tire. But, I am also concerned about that second photo. Are you trying to show us a crack in the spoke or is that just a blurred reflection?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Udayan
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: m240i vert

Hi,

It seems very clear that the tire is dead. But it is not so obvious on your pics that the rim is damaged. .

Taking that into account, as you will have in any case to replace your tire, you can go to a tire shop to control the rim and mount a new tire

Udayan
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, Sportstick. Sorry to have not been clearer and the short answer is no. The wheel is the 719M and wasn't sure everyone would be familiar with it, so provided photo for a/b comparison. Understanding that, are you able to determine whether the rim has sustained any serious damage? I'm afraid of being taken advantage of by a tire shop.

I don't have "tire insurance" so need to at least buy a tire. I'm not inclined to get another run flat and prefer to migrate over to something like the Continental DWS06. With only 4500 miles on the car/tires, would it make sense to replace two, put the two Conti's on the rear and the remaining non-flats on the front to save expense for awhile? TheoreticallyI could take the good, low mile run flat from the left front and keep it as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udayan View Post
But it is not so obvious on your pics that the rim is damaged...You can go to a tire shop to control the rim and mount a new tire.
Udayan
Thanks, Udyan. That's the problem, I don't trust the tire guys. One bit of somewhat good luck is there's a local BMW dealer less than two miles from where I am. Maybe I can drop by to have them inspect it but dealers are not exactly known for their honesty either. I also want to know why there is no indicator from any sensor.

Last edited by Plynth2697; 04-22-2019 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plynth2697 View Post
Thanks, Sportstick. Sorry to have not been clearer and the short answer is no. The wheel is the 719M and wasn't sure everyone would be familiar with it, so provided photo for a/b comparison. Understanding that, are you able to determine whether the rim has sustained any serious damage? I'm afraid of being taken advantage of by a tire shop.

I don't have "tire insurance" so need to at least buy a tire. I'm not inclined to get another run flat and prefer to migrate over to something like the Continental DWS06. With only 4500 miles on the car/tires, would it make sense to replace two, put the two Conti's on the rear and the remaining non-flats on the front to save expense for awhile? TheoreticallyI could take the good, low mile run flat from the left front and keep it as a spare.
The weakest part of the rim is usually the part you cannot see until the wheel is dismounted...the inside part not directly supported by spokes. Once the assembly is off the car, take a look at the rear, run your fingetip around the bead to sense any damage, and the soapy water test looking for bubbles can also reassure you that the rim is ok if you can pressurize the tire (sounds like you can?).

As to replacement tires, I would not suggest such a difference of tire capability from front to rear. I think you need to replace one similar now or do all four. This might be Mother Nature's way of telling you it's time to enjoy your car more from higher performance tires! DWS06 or Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ are both great choices for an UHPAS (ultra high performance all season) tire in your climate area (until winter hits...neither is close to a dedicated winter tire on snow/ice). But, they will get you through the cold (below 45F) weather in Fall/early Spring when there is no snow, which a Summer tire will not.

If you simply mount new tires on these wheels, keeping one run flat as a spare but not mounted will not be very handy on a dark and stormy night. If having a spare is a concern, I've carried the kit bimmerzone.com sells for almost five years now. I consider having a spare my "no flat" insurance. The moment I off-load it, I'm sure a flat tire will find me!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If you simply mount new tires on these wheels, keeping one run flat as a spare but not mounted will not be very handy on a dark and stormy night. If having a spare is a concern, I've carried the kit bimmerzone.com sells for almost five years now. I consider having a spare my "no flat" insurance. The moment I off-load it, I'm sure a flat tire will find me!
You and me both, except I won't need to wait that long: Run Flats + Low Profile Tires + Potholes = Misery.

I have had more trouble keeping the wheels (and now tires) of this car damage free and functional in the few months I've owned it than a few hundred thousand combined miles with previous Bimmers. And I live in suburbia, not a city. That said, I do hear what you're saying about matched tires but just wasn't budgeting for Mother Nature at the moment. As to converting an extra tire to a spare, I would plan on getting a somewhat fugly wheel on closeout from Tire Rack and have it mounted. Would that not be practical?

Good advice vis-a-vis "The weakest part of the rim is usually the part you cannot see until the wheel is dismounted...the inside part not directly supported by spokes." I haven't checked yet this morning, but the tire took of full pressure as of last night AND with no alert or I wouldn't have driven all this distance to begin with. Scary...However, as I think about it, if the tire has retained its pressure, why would the sensor go off, right?

Last edited by Plynth2697; 04-22-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You and me both, except I won't need to wait that long: Run Flats + Low Profile Tires + Potholes = Misery.

I have had more trouble keeping the wheels (and now tires) of this car damage free and functional in the few months I've owned it than a few hundred thousand combined miles with previous Bimmers. And I live in suburbia, not a city. That said, I do hear what you're saying about matched tires but just wasn't budgeting for Mother Nature at the moment. As to converting an extra tire to a spare, I would plan on getting a somewhat fugly wheel on closeout from Tire Rack and have it mounted. Would that not be practical?

Good advice vis-a-vis "The weakest part of the rim is usually the part you cannot see until the wheel is dismounted...the inside part not directly supported by spokes." I haven't checked yet this morning, but the tire took of full pressure as of last night AND with no alert or I wouldn't have driven all this distance to begin with. Scary...
Yes, mounting that tire on a low cost rim would provide a spare tire solution, although taking up much of the trunk. One advantage of the more costly bimmerzone.com solution is that it's a mini-spare, so some trunk space is spared.

If you decide to go heavy on a longer-term solution, I'll also share that I changed my Track Handling Package car from the original 18" to 17" simply due to the poor road conditions where we live. Made up for size with some very well designed BBS SR rims, and have not lost one in several years. Just a thought...
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Quote:

Good advice vis-a-vis "The weakest part of the rim is usually the part you cannot see until the wheel is dismounted...the inside part not directly supported by spokes." I haven't checked yet this morning, but the tire took of full pressure as of last night AND with no alert or I wouldn't have driven all this distance to begin with. Scary...However, as I think about it, if the tire has retained its pressure, why would the sensor go off, right?
Quote:
Quote:

I just had a major run flat tire bubble on one of the front tires on my 340. Replaced with two non run flats and I keep a small harbor freight compressor and plug kit in the trunk. My M235 has a compressor and fix a flat type stuff from the factory, so that is certainly an option vs a whole spare tire.
      04-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Swap out to all non-RFT's. I did after blowing 2 RFT's in 6 months and I was done. I got a full set of AS3+ for a little more than what 2 RFT's cost. I personally am disappointed with the AS3+ as I'm in the NW and they do get really hard and pretty squirrely under 30 degrees. I came from two consecutive sets of DWS06 on my E92 and will go back to them once these wear down.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
I just had a major run flat tire bubble on one of the front tires on my 340. Replaced with two non run flats and I keep a small harbor freight compressor and plug kit in the trunk. My M235 has a compressor and fix a flat type stuff from the factory, so that is certainly an option vs a whole spare tire.
Sorry to hear about the similar s*** show you recently endured. Can you help me understand the "run flat tire bubble." Is that specific to run flats and, if so, why.

I also travel with a compressor and will seriously look at the "bimmerzone kit" Sportstick mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the similar s*** show you recently endured. Can you help me understand the "run flat tire bubble." Is that specific to run flats and, if so, why.

I also travel with a compressor and will seriously look at the "bimmerzone kit" Sportstick mentioned.
Here is what it looks like in place. Jack kit is at the rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BM235iW97.00
Poochie9104.50
      04-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Swap out to all non-RFT's. I did after blowing 2 RFT's in 6 months and I was done. I got a full set of AS3+ for a little more than what 2 RFT's cost.
I totally hear you about swapping out but hoped to delay the inevitable to more than 4500 miles. My options are limited as I have an appointment local to me tomorrow I an't easily cancel. The only tire store local to where I current am has a cheap--as in well under $100--non run flat that I'm going to use to get home. It will provide some breathing room on the larger decision to be ultimately resolved locally. Or so I hope.

The guy at the tire store was a Mercedes mechanic and we engaged in a thorough bashing of low profile. He said in the southern part of the United States the roads were like glass and vastly lower amount of cracked wheels and alignments. With all due respect, i don't think I'm moving to Georgia to avoid potholes. But this is far from all's well that ends well and I still have decisions to make down the (short) road...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here is what it looks like in place. Jack kit is at the rear.
NICE!!! You keep a tidy ship--looks great. Have circumstances called for you to use??
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
I totally hear you about swapping out but hoped to delay the inevitable to more than 4500 miles. My options are limited as I have an appointment local to me tomorrow I an't easily cancel. The only tire store local to where I current am has a cheap--as in well under $100--non run flat that I'm going to use to get home. It will provide some breathing room on the larger decision to be ultimately resolved locally. Or so I hope.

The guy at the tire store was a Mercedes mechanic and we engaged in a thorough bashing of low profile. He said in the southern part of the United States the roads were like glass and vastly lower amount of cracked wheels and alignments. With all due respect, i don't think I'm moving to Georgia to avoid potholes. But this is far from all's well that ends well and I still have decisions to make down the (short) road...
I was in the exact predicament as you where I was debating on swapping to no-RFT's after my first blowout because I only had 7000 miles on my new tires. So, I got another RFT and 6 months later, blew another one. At that point it made no sense to replace with another RFT because a set of four AS3+ were only slight more than 2 RFT's. I could've saved myself the $328 it was for the first replacement RFT. I ended up selling 2 of my good RFT's on craigslist and kept the third tire for a spare like you mentioned and bought a 5th wheel which I only use it for long road trips.

Last edited by hwntime; 04-22-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
NICE!!! You keep a tidy ship--looks great. Have circumstances called for you to use??
Of course not!

I won't need it until I don't have it!
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Gotta love "no flat" insurance...well done Stick!

My heart goes out to you Plynth. I have been dodging the potholes (one especially nice tire killer on the 5 mile jaunt on the back roads to my home). I expect I will likely end up with Stick's solution as well, since I have such a long commute. I have had way too many flats (most of which were destroyed tires) here in New England (all on non-RFTs but low profile for sure) not to have this in my back pocket...

Good luck!

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Stick,

Is this the spare you are carrying? It is on the classified board...

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1567727

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn123 View Post
Stick,

Is this the spare you are carrying? It is on the classified board...

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1567727
That looks like a nicer version. I have the black steel one they reference. But, I added the bimmerzone jack option...got to get the car up to do the swap!
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      04-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #21
beamersauce
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Sorry to hear about all of this! RF tired are the worst and I hope that one day they are no longer in production. You end up towing the car anyways on a flat bed to protect the wheel and to keep our cars as safe as possible!

I'd recommend doing something cheap and temporary while you're out of town, then just upgrading to new summer or a/s performance tires as soon as possible.

I had a run flat blow out a few days after a pot hole and went to replace it with another RF cause the other tires barely had miles on them. Down the line, I found out the wheel was cracked from that first pot hole and the tire couldn't even hold air anymore for more than a day. I wish I had upgraded sooner..

The continental extremecontact sport is a great tire and alternative to the michelin ps4s. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #22
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The tire bubbles are a symptom of damage to the structure of the tire, where the belts separate and air leaks out. I guess it could happen to any tire, but I have seen it more on run flats I have owned. My most recent one I am sure was caused by my daughter hitting a pothole. It would have been a great teachable moment but I doubt she even remembers me squawking about driving around road hazards after she hit it.

I did blow out a regular PSS hitting a pothole in a rainstorm. Regular tires aren't immune from impact damage. My luck has just been bad with run flats.