THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bavsound vs Bimmertech Amplifiers

04-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
saxguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Bavsound vs Bimmertech Amplifiers

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Bimmertech amp and the one Bavsound is offering? I am picking up my M240i Convertible today and am planning to upgrade the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

From my understanding they are the same. Basically rebranded Match DSP/Amps. I personally have had a BimmerTech amp and the new UP-7BMW amp in my car. The tech support from BimmerTech is first class they sell the PP 86DSP. The 7BMW has more power (slightly) and twice the power to the subs. I'm unsure if BimmerTech or Bravsound sell this amp. It is around $1000 and is plug and play. the difference in sound is night and day.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

They're exactly the same. Bimmertech will load with Bavsound tune if you ask. Bavsound will sell to you for Bimmertech price if you ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
saxguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
From my understanding they are the same. Basically rebranded Match DSP/Amps. I personally have had a BimmerTech amp and the new UP-7BMW amp in my car. The tech support from BimmerTech is first class they sell the PP 86DSP. The 7BMW has more power (slightly) and twice the power to the subs. I'm unsure if BimmerTech or Bravsound sell this amp. It is around $1000 and is plug and play. the difference in sound is night and day.
Can the UP-7BMW amp be tuned with the same files as the other amplifiers? Also, it says it's for the HiFi system, I have the HK.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

The HK in the 2 series is not really a proper HK system. It is the Hi-Fi system with line level to the amp. the manufacturer has some decent tunes on their site. They are specific to this amp. Other tunes are not appropriate as the amp puts out more power...especially to the under-seat speakers.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
saxguy
Private
Rep

Now that I'm clear on the amp, what are the differences in the speaker kits oppered by Bimmertech and Bavsound? Does one set sound better at lower volumes vs. high? I have a convertible, so good sound at higher volumes does matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
...the manufacturer has some decent tunes on their site. They are specific to this amp. Other tunes are not appropriate as the amp puts out more power...especially to the under-seat speakers.
The sound files on the Audiotec Fischer site are a good starting point, but they need quite a bit of work to sound decent. The main thing is they don't have sound files for coupes. The have files for cabrio, GT, limousine (sedan), SUV, and touring (wagon). The time alignment and EQ will be off when you use any of these sound in a coupe. Ask me how i know...:roll eyes:

I started with the limousine sound file and entered my own time alignment measurements and then used the RTA function of the DSP PC-Tool to set the EQ. HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the standard limousine sound file.
Appreciate 0