THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA Gas price over $1.80 per litre

03-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Gas price over $1.80 per litre

Fuelled up today, shell 91. 1.809 dollars per litre for 44 litres costed me just under 80 dollars to fill up. 87 also costs 1.579

And with the carbon tax increase on April 1st, its going to increase at least another 0.11 dollars per litre

Excuse me?!

Looking forward to gas that is going to cost over 2 dollars per litre this summer
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Fuelled up today, shell 91. 1.809 dollars per litre for 44 litres costed me just under 80 dollars to fill up. 87 also costs 1.579

And with the carbon tax increase on April 1st, its going to increase at least another 0.11 dollars per litre

Excuse me?!

Looking forward to gas that is going to cost over 2 dollars per litre this summer
Jeez that's steep. Premium in US (Northeast) is running around 2.99/gallon which works out to about .79/liter.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

You must live in BC land of the highest taxes in Canada! April 1 affects those provinces without a carbon tax so Ontario Manitoba sask.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
You must live in BC land of the highest taxes in Canada! April 1 affects those provinces without a carbon tax so Ontario Manitoba sask.
Probably BC because those are the prices, but while our fuel prices are high that's not entirely taxation ... there's a refinery capacity and supply issue at play. But, our fuel taxes are the highest.

If that's all you meant to say, fair enough. But, if it's a general statement about taxes in BC, it's plain wrong. Our sales taxes are lower than everywhere but Alberta and Ssk. Same with our income tax rates. Lower than everywhere but Alberta and Ssk. However, up to $100000 our marginal rates are lower than Alberta's and lower than Ssk's up to $150000. In other words, for most people in BC, our income taxes are the lowest in Canada (Territories excluded). In general, we have low taxation by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Gas taxes
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
Gas taxes
Fair enough ...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

BC doesn't like pipelines, hope you enjoy your $2 gas . Imagine what it will be like if Kenney wins and cuts fuel shipments off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
BC doesn't like pipelines, hope you enjoy your $2 gas . Imagine what it will be like if Kenney wins and cuts fuel shipments off.
Ill-informed comment. People in BC care (passionately) about their coastline and the potential damage (a concept completely foreign to Albertans). However, public opinion in BC is actually in favour of Trans Mountain but supportive of the pushback from BC's government in that it should ultimately result in better maritime spill response and protection.

As for Kenney's threat, it's moronic. You have precious little access to market for your oil and if you want to reduce it even further it's just stupid.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 03-27-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep

My comment was tongue in cheek, but after the virtue signaling I hope the gas prices burn a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My comment was tongue in cheek, but after the virtue signaling I hope the gas prices burn a bit.
Obviously I missed it was tongue in cheek ... given the outraged indignation of most Alberta politicians (led by Notley and Kenney in equal proportions) to the thought that maybe pipeline development needs to be measured against environmental criteria I jumped to the conclusion and bypassed the notion of a rational Albertan.

I'll take a step back, but you have to admit that your pols are completely over the top on this (and it's on all sides ... not just the NDP or the UCP).

By the way, I'm in favour of Trans Mountain and was wholly against Northern Gateway and it's fairly common viewpoint out here.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep

To be fair, people are really suffering here and we are dealing with vexatious litigation from the BC government. Weaver and Horgan aren't exactly honest brokers blocking TMX while pumping LNG. The vast majority of people in Alberta care about the environment and the regulations in Canada are world class. When the UK discovered the North Sea offshore fields they modelled their regulatory regime after Alberta. The Americans have divided us and eaten our lunch while we squabble. They were more than happy to buy our oil for $15/barrel in the fall while companies teetered on bankruptcy.

No one wants a spill on the West coast, and the odds of it happening are extremely low, there's hundreds of millions of barrels of oil floating around the world at any given moment.

If the pipeline does eventually expand the chronic fuel shortage in Vancouver will go away and gas prices will go down to whatever rack price in Edmonton is plus $0.10, although carbon taxes are a different animal.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, people are really suffering here and we are dealing with vexatious litigation from the BC government. Weaver and Horgan aren't exactly honest brokers blocking TMX while pumping LNG. The vast majority of people in Alberta care about the environment and the regulations in Canada are world class. When the UK discovered the North Sea offshore fields they modelled their regulatory regime after Alberta. The Americans have divided us and eaten our lunch while we squabble. They were more than happy to buy our oil for $15/barrel in the fall while companies teetered on bankruptcy.

No one wants a spill on the West coast, and the odds of it happening are extremely low, there's hundreds of millions of barrels of oil floating around the world at any given moment.

If the pipeline does eventually expand the chronic fuel shortage in Vancouver will go away and gas prices will go down to whatever rack price in Edmonton is plus $0.10, although carbon taxes are a different animal.
I wouldn't describe the litigation as vexatious. First, the Federal Court case was not prosecuted by the BC government, but by First Nations bands and the cities of Vancouver and Burnaby. They did intervene in favour of the challenge to the NEB ruling. That litigation can hardly be described as vexatious as it ultimately successful in forcing the NEB to comply with its enabling legislation and constitutional principles. The other case was pure politics and premature BUT it was in response to an equally childish piece of Notley legislation (fully supported by Kenney). Frivolous? Yes. Vexatious? No, because the legislation it was challenging was mean spirited and petty.

As far as LNG goes, Weaver is steadfast against the Kitimat LNG approvals and legislation and the Greens have opposed it at every step. Your post is not accurate in that respect. It's the one issue Horgan doesn't need them on. A condition of Green support on supply and confidence was challenging Trans Mountain approval. Horgan is living up to his word to the Greens on that one and, if you read Richard Zussman's book detailing the negotiations between the various parties after the last election, the Liberals were clearly prepared to do a 180 on Trans Mountain to hang on to power. They come off a lot worse than Horgan or Weaver.

The BC reality is that Horgan is far more popular today than when he was elected with a minority. If the government falls, he'll get an easy majority. He could provoke an election by backing off his signature commitments to the Greens and he hasn't. He's operated with a good deal of integrity (something we're very unused to in BC politicians ... I can think of only three Premiers that I can say that of: Bill Bennett, Mike Harcourt, and Horgan). We have a pretty chequered history of cranks, miscreants, and charlatans in power. Horgan's pretty refreshing in that respect.

I completely accept that most Albertans care about the environment and don't want to see a coastal oil spill. However, Alberta political leaders (Notley and Kenney) don't come across that way. They come across as completely self-indulgent, patronizing towards others, and overly paternalistic.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Unfortunately as the tanker train traffic increases due to the lack of pipeline capacity and the additional 5,000 tanker cars come on line, the risk of an environmental disaster due to a train derailment is steadily increasing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Unfortunately as the tanker train traffic increases due to the lack of pipeline capacity and the additional 5,000 tanker cars come on line, the risk of an environmental disaster due to a train derailment is steadily increasing.
One of the reasons there's a large amount of support for Trans Mountain in BC. Rail's a terrible option.
Appreciate 0