THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Issue with brakes, 228i xdrive

03-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Tmachette
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 228i xDrive

Issue with brakes, 228i xdrive

Hi all,
I have a 2015 228i with an msport package, but not the track package. The other day my brake sensor went off, stating that the rear pads need to be replaced. Which stuck me as odd, as the car only has 27000 miles on it and usually the front brakes will wear out first.

I am unsure what break pads I should be looking at? And if i should be replacing the rotors on the back as well because they are very rough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Rear brake pads and a sensor (1 sensor, there's 1 sensor per axle).

(there's a pretty good chance the front pads will need replacement soon, too, just not at the limit yet).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

with traction control and stability control and even hill hold the rear brakes seem to not last as long as would be expected with less sophisticated set-ups.

What did you mean your rotors are rough ? circumferential grooves ? (some car get rotors shaved some cars don't - not sure about BMW's)

You can chk a little deeper to find out what the minimum thickness of the rotors should before being changed out.

It's also good to know what the brake pad thickness is? sometimes with corrosion or road salts a brake sensor may inadvertently activate.

If you do the work yourself, you can go in and chk the thicknesses before ordering parts to make sure replacement is needed.

OEM brakes pads are good as are the oem rotors. Chk out (TireRack for example) aftermarket sellers for pricing on pads and rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My 228iX w/ the base brakes also ate the rear pads well before the fronts (fronts were at about half-wear); same initial reaction as you, thinking it must be s/t wrong to wear the rears first, but apparently this is typical. I was told this is very common if you drive sporty without fully deactivating the DTC because it uses brakes for the control(don't deactivate DTC - cheaper to buy pads than fenders and airbags). I was under maintenance plan, so the dealer shaved about .001 off the rotors and called them OK, but I wouldn't do this yourself - new rotors aren't that expensive and mine were toast within 4 months (but that included some track days with aftermarket pads).

I'd strongly suggest that you swap rotors along w/ the pads, since it doesn't add much labor (you have to pull calipers just to get to the pads, unlike the Brembos). FCPeuro has lifetime replacement which can at least make this a one-time purchase. Also a good time to fully flush the brake fluid, if you haven't already done it at the 3-year mark (unless you track, the stock BMW stuff is best, or check the pad thread if you want s/t with less dust). A BMW CCA membership will also get you a discount that will largely pay for the dues, IIRC.
Appreciate 0