THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video: Brainerd International

06-13-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Video: Brainerd International

This is from the 2023 Sommer Schnell event at Brainerd International Raceway with the North Star BMW Chapter. This lap is a new personal best for me at Brainerd. 1:55.8 This is from the first session of the last day. The fastest laps were early because it got rather hot at during the day. Had a ton of fun at a great event.

I pass a Cayman S on this lap. We were fairly matched, and it was nicely timed for no impact on the lap time. He passed me later in this session when I got stuck in traffic, but then I passed him again on my second fastest lap of the weekend at the end of this session. I also blew the beginning of the next lap going wide on 12 at the end of the video. Ooops. And the next session I had a nice simple overcooked off track excursion. That will keep you humble. Always more to learn and improve on.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 08:12 PM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

What are you using for the data logging?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #3
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I'm running TrackAddict on my phone, with a Bluetooth OBD dongle, and an external Dual XPS160 GPS. I keep my phone in a bracket I built inside my armrest, plugged into USB power. Having it secure there improves the G-meter functionality.

The external GPS made a huge difference in the overall quality of tracking and smoothness. Before I got it I was using the GPS in my GoPro for the video renders, which is also way better than the phone's GPS, but doesn't help lap timing. The external GPS has made the system much more reliable overall, even if it is a little cranky connecting sometimes.

Yeah, it's annoying keeping the parts running and synced, and integrating the video later in RaceRender. But it is WAY cheaper than something like an AIM Solo 2 with cameras.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:13 PM   #4
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I'm running TrackAddict on my phone, with a Bluetooth OBD dongle, and an external Dual XPS160 GPS. I keep my phone in a bracket I built inside my armrest, plugged into USB power. Having it secure there improves the G-meter functionality.

The external GPS made a huge difference in the overall quality of tracking and smoothness. Before I got it I was using the GPS in my GoPro for the video renders, which is also way better than the phone's GPS, but doesn't help lap timing. The external GPS has made the system much more reliable overall, even if it is a little cranky connecting sometimes.

Yeah, it's annoying keeping the parts running and synced, and integrating the video later in RaceRender. But it is WAY cheaper than something like an AIM Solo 2 with cameras.
I run the solo 2 DL and their smartycam 3 HD, its pretty slick but you are getting much better video quality with your setup.
Appreciate 0