THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Southeast Building Zero

04-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #23
savethemanuals
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6-speed

Really cool thread! Your car looks fantastic, I love that white-on-black look. Kinda jealous
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #24
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hi 0,
Where did you get your Bluetooth gauge dongle and app? Do they have one for iPhones? I still can't believe BMW makes cars without temp, oil temp/pressure gauges or put it through iDrive!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #25
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112
Hi 0,
Where did you get your Bluetooth gauge dongle and app? Do they have one for iPhones? I still can't believe BMW makes cars without temp, oil temp/pressure gauges or put it through iDrive!
i got the dongle on Amazon. Check out the sticky that's under the navigation subforum. there's lots of info there. if I remember correctly some iPhone people had issues with the bluetooth dongles and had to go WiFi instead. The most popular apps are Torque Pro which is what I have and dashboard.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #26
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

When choosing between the BMS and Injen intake I decided to get the Injen. It was the "heat shield" that got me and for some reason the name reminded me of my old JDM days even though this is my first Injen product.

Thanks to Mike at extreme powerhouse. The intake wasn't scheduled to arrive until Monday, so I was super stoked to see it on my front porch this evening. Packaging was top notch too. I have no affiliation with Mike nor his online store.

Material:
The intake feels like a quality piece and I like the wrinkle black look. It comes with a dry filter too which is nice. I believe someone mentioned that out cars, specifically the MAF sensor, don't play well with oiled filters.

Install:
A breeze until I got to the part where I had to mount the heat shield. The pictures in the instructions don't show that black plastic box cover that you see behind my heat shield. Well, they don't play nice together. I had to turn the cover to the side, mount the heat shield and then he-man that damn cover back into place. This was after 15 minutes of trying to get everything to line up after I had taken the cover off. Other than that this was about the easiest intake I've had the pleasure to install.

Sound:
The important part, right? I really like it. It whistles a bit when the car is under load and I love hearing the sound of the waste gate or at least that's what I think it is. I still can't roll my windows down due to my recent tint job, but even with all of windows closed I'd say that the induction noise is at least twice as loud over stock. Maybe even two and half times louder than stock. The sound is less pronounced when in Comfort mode. I didn't try out Eco Pro because, well, it's eco pro lol. I'm glad that the sound is less pronounced in wifie mode though. The intake sound does change depending on rpm with around 3k rpm being the most whistle like. I'm not sure how I feel about the whistling like aspect of it. I adjusted the cone after my test drive to make sure that the sound isn't a result of some sort of leak, but I haven't been back out to see if that did anything. I really is a minor issue though and after 15 mins I grew to like that sound as well. I will say that it's surprising how much sound this thing makes with even the smallest bit of throttle input. That's a good thing.

On to the next mod...........
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #27
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Thanks for the review. I may have to get one of these....eventually. The picture is killing me though. All the pollen. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #28
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante
Thanks for the review. I may have to get one of these....eventually. The picture is killing me though. All the pollen. LOL.
Haha, I know I cleaned up the engine bay after seeing that pic lol.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #29
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've decided that I'm going to keep the Torque app for awhile which meant finding a better location for my spare phone. I routed a USB cable from my armrest to the coin tray. Pulled the coin tray and now the phone rests underneath the HVAC controls. it looks a lot cleaner now.

In the pic you can see the charging cable on the left side of the phone. I may load up some music onto the phone too since it's connected to the aux USB port.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

When Android Auto gets rolled out, wont you be able to keep the phone wherever you want and display it on your nav screen for a bigger more convenient display of those gauges?
      05-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #31
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3
When Android Auto gets rolled out, wont you be able to keep the phone wherever you want and display it on your nav screen for a bigger more convenient display of those gauges?
BMW seems to pretty much be firmly planted in the Apple camp. I haven't even heard of rumors about Android Auto coming. Heck, Apple Car Play won't be until the 2018 LCI. No guarantee that a simple firmware update will even be possible for earlier models.

To answer your question though, Android Auto would support that. Bimmertech has a phone mirroring solution as well. I thought I would like something like that, but having to interact with the phone kinda makes that lame. I don't usually need nav, so I'm good so far.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #32
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
BMW seems to pretty much be firmly planted in the Apple camp. I haven't even heard of rumors about Android Auto coming. Heck, Apple Car Play won't be until the 2018 LCI. No guarantee that a simple firmware update will even be possible for earlier models.

To answer your question though, Android Auto would support that. Bimmertech has a phone mirroring solution as well. I thought I would like something like that, but having to interact with the phone kinda makes that lame. I don't usually need nav, so I'm good so far.
Test drove a 2016 Gen 6 Camaro the other day... .Chevy gets the beat on BMW yet again. Sickening....
      05-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #33
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3
Quote:

Test drove a 2016 Gen 6 Camaro the other day... .Chevy gets the beat on BMW yet again. Sickening....
Yeah, that's just the way it goes. I took the "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan to mean that it applied to the actual driving itself. Things like backup cameras and technology are silly and aren't included lol. Regardless, I love the car. It's just not the most feature packed car out there besides driving dynamics.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #34
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Decided to give dipping my emblems a shot. Well, a second shot. I actually messed up the first round of it. The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to pull the dip AWAY from the emblem when you go to pull the excess dip from the vehicle. Aside from wanting something quick and cheap to do I wanted to see if I wanted black emblems at all. At some point I'll replace these with the ones offered by IND. However, I'm pretty happy with the results, so that mod has floated way down my list.

I used both the black and clear glossifier dip which can be found at Lowe's in the spray paint section. I did 5 coats of black and 4 coats of clear while waiting 15 mins in between each coat. I then waited 30 mins after the final coat before pulling the dip. I watched numerous YouTube vids on this, but found this one to be the most concise.

After masking off around the emblems with painter's tape I draped my car with a plastic drop cloth though and cut out the plastic around the emblems. I then applied more painter's tape to make sure that there was a minimal amount of overspray. I wasn't as insane on my first round of this and wound up having to remove a bunch of overspray with with quick detailer and a microfiber towel. While not too difficult it was definitely a pain enough for me to ensure that it didn't happen again. In the pic you can see where I kinda had some difficulty around the 2. The dip started coming off of the emblem, so I had to stop pulling it. From about 6' you don't even notice it which is fine by me.

I hope you like the results and consider giving it a shot yourself.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #35
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I bought some carbon fiber mirror caps from a forum member which he apparently got from eBay. I think they look pretty good. None of the bubbling issues that supposedly plague the caps from some manufacturers. I immediately sealed these with some Menzerna PowerLock and followed that with some P21S carnuba wax. It'll be waxed monthly. Maybe sealed every other time. I really like the look of the CF though and I look forward to adding a CF spoiler in the future.

As far as installation goes; a lot of people will tell you to just yank off the old mirror caps. Well, the caps I bought have broken tabs and I suspect that it's due to the seller yanking them off. I figured there had to be a better way and did a quick search. Luckily I found and followed the method I detail in the How to install mirror caps thread.
Attached Images

Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 06-22-2016 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #36
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I ordered some replacement LED blinker bulbs from Amazon and installed them tonight and so far so good. Instant on instead of the brightening and dimming of the incandescent bulbs. No noticeable led flicker or error codes.

They seem a bit brighter than stock, but not by much. See the driver's side bulb in the attached pics. The bulb itself looks pretty cool in the housing. I was able to get the driver's side perpendicular to the ground, but not quite there on the passenger side. Not a big deal since I typically approach the car on the driver's side. If that's going to bother you then you may want to consider something more cylindrical. Next up will be to swap the reflectors.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #37
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

After getting dark tint on my windows it was clear that I needed to brighten things up a low when reversing. I ordered some led reverse lights from Deautokey and was stoked. Well, after being more than a week late I finally received my reverse lights. Taking the housing off was a bit more of a pain than I had anticipated. Still, the entire process took me about 15 minutes.

The reverse lights are way brighter than stock. They kinda hurt my eyes, but my eyes are sensitive to light ever since my corrective surgery. If I had to guess I'd say that they're at least 5 times brighter than stock. I'm sure the lumen values are out there to prove my estimation to be wrong lol. As bright as these are they're still not bright enough to overcome my 5% tint on the rear windows. :/ I am able to see a bit better using my side mirrors though since my sides are 18%. Regardless, the Bimmertech rear camera add-on has just been added to my mod list. I'm sure that these bulbs will help the camera out immensely.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #38
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Continuing my saga of cheap mods as I save up for an exhaust. This weekend I decided to install some clear reflectors to get rid of the amber up front. I considered going with painted reflectors, but clear reflectors are 1/5th the cost and frankly on a white car achieve basically the same goal. I kind of feel like I'm still "legal" since I'll have a reflector up front.

Decided that this would be a good first car project for my boys, so I had them remove the wheel well lining for me. I popped the reflectors out since I figured that those would be a pain. I was right, but it didn't take as much effort as others have complained about on the boards. Overall I like the results and it complements my led blinkers.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #39
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got a Fabspeed valvetronic (with the valve set to permanently open) installed on my car today. One word: WOW! Man, I love it. Imagine the ASD sound except deeper, more refined and aggressive. A little bit more overrun likely due to the lack of a resonator. The overrun is a bit louder too, but it still sounds really good. Not to mention the fact that the sound now comes from the rear as it should. The slightly larger tips are also the perfect size and now the exhaust looks like it was meant for the car. I always felt that the stock tips looked small and a tad anemic.

Absolutely no drone either. In fact, at cruising speed it's even quieter in the cabin than it was when I had ASD enabled. I'm probably one of the few that likes the ASD feature, but this exhaust kills it. I can't wait to hear how it will sound when I mate the exhaust to their sport cat as well.

An added bonus seems to be a bit more torque above 2,500k rpm. Idk, it just feels like the car reacts a little quicker when I give it more gas.

Anyway, I plan on taking a video soon. I've yet to find a video of this exhaust on a car without an aftermarket down pipe. Figure some people may want to hear this exhaust with a stock down pipe.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #40
M-tavo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I got a Fabspeed valvetronic .......
...I can't wait to hear how it will sound when I mate the exhaust to their sport cat as well.

...Anyway, I plan on taking a video soon. I've yet to find this exhaust on a car without an aftermarket down pipe. Figure some people may want to hear this exhaust with a stock down pipe.

Get the sport cat if you can! I loved it! I've heard it with a catless and it also sounds really good but the "No CEL" factor was important for me.

A sound clip of the exhaust with oem downpipe would be nice too!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #41
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's a cold start and revs video of the exhaust. I hope to get some drive-by vids soon.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #42
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Previously I had coated my emblems with 5 layers of black plasti-dip and 4 layers of plasti-dip glossifier. While the change was subtle I really liked it. Unfortunately the coating peeled off of the M and I was forced to remove it. Luckily I found someone on the forums selling his emblems, so I picked those up.

The install is pretty straightforward.
  1. Line up some painter's tape underneath the current emblems.
  2. Mark off where each emblem starts and ends.
  3. Use some dental floss to remove the current emblems
  4. Clean off the area where the new emblems will go with some detail spray and a microfiber towel. If you don't have detail spray available then some diluted vinegar will help. Also, go get some detail spray.
  5. Line up the new emblems with the markings you made earlier
  6. Make sure that the emblems are facing up. E.g. the bottom of the 2 is flatter than the top and for some reason the 5 has a flat top. You'll notice that they're both upside down in my pic. I redid them after the pic.
  7. Once all of the emblems have been installed remove the painter's tape
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 1
123Britt287.00
      02-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #43
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Man, I'm late with this one. I got an AFE intake air scoop for Christmas after dropping some not so subtle hints and links lol.

Installation was pretty straightforward, but still a pain. It involves removing the driver side kidney grill. The grill is held in place by plastic tabs and I swore that I was either going to cut my hand when squeezing it in the hood to access the bottom tabs or that I was going to crack the paint due to how much I was having to flex the top of the bumper to gain access.

Once I got the grill removed it was just a matter of maneuvering the air scoop into place. I took some twisting of the scoop and at one point I swore that I had the wrong part, but after a few tries I was able to get it in there. There's a plastic pin that's supposed to go into some hole in the stock intake box. I guess it's there on a F30 , but it's not there in the F22. I just wedged the scoop in there and it hasn't been a problem. :/ The product description on Amazon actually says that it's for the 335, but it works lol.

Overall I'd say that this is an okay mod. Using Torque I saw between a 5*-10* difference in intake temps depending on how heat soaked I was. I can't say that I notice much power difference, but for the price it's a fun little project.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #44
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Another Christmas gift I received were front WeatherTech floormats. As usual these came from Amazon and were a bit cheaper than ordering directly from WeatherTech....I think. Amazon thinks that they don't fit our cars, but a quick cross-reference of the part numbers will tell you otherwise.

I really like these floormats. At some point I'm going to get the rear mats as well. For now, these will do. I like the peace of mind they give me.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0