THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 4 main reason I don't DD my car in this area

04-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

4 main reason I don't DD my car in this area:

1. Highway construction heaven, around 6 rock chips on the windshield (seems real thin) in 3 days no counting the front end

2. Pot holes and construction path/patches galore: today I finally replaced the RFTs and found out I have two bends rims

3. Crazy drivers including the damn 18 wheeler/construction trucks spitting rocks and cutting of people off.

4. Tight parking spots/lots door dings and bumpers scratches/dings by people backing out

That goes for most of the cars I have owned in this area. That is why I always had a hupty or a truck for DD.

Last edited by paposalsa; 04-16-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Don't blame you one bit. I applaud the true DD road warriors who don't care and replace their cars every 3 years, but for those of us who have our "fun" cars paid off (or not) and want to maximize our enjoyment over at least a 10 year span, having a 2nd car to take the daily rush hour abuse is definitely the way to go.
      04-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Roads here in CA are pretty good. I've got a couple of stone chips in 2 years, nothing big. East coast has some brutal freeze thaw cycles. I recognize cars on my comute, a few people DD cars with 20" rims like 992's.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I live in Kansas City. My M235 is closing in on 4 years ownership. It has around 35k miles and is daily driven. It sees 100+ degree humid summers and salty/snowy winters and single digit temps. The town gets riddled with potholes and road heaves from January through March. Not one single blown tire or bent rim. The car has had a clear bra since new. There is one 1/4 inch long scratch in the hood from a big rock and a few rock chips in the original windshield. Not a single dent or scratch anywhere else on the car. My commute is on a highway that is the landfill route so there are tons of muddy trash and dump trucks often ahead of me. I have two kids as well that get carted around in it. Once a year I polish the car with with a DA buffer and wax twice a year. That's it. It is possible to daily drive a car and have it maintain a quality finish.

Runflats are the source of most bent rims on these cars. The stiff sidewall transfers the impact to the rim rather than absorbing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Runflats are the source of most bent rims on these cars. The stiff sidewall transfers the impact to the rim rather than absorbing it.
Runflats might be stiff and not too performance-orientation but it saved my ass before. When you hit a crater, then the tire light illuminates, its a great feeling be able to drive away from the scene, like a boss. It's a 'life-hack' for your vehicle.

Do note that the 235i TPMS software is smart enough to know it's deflated to 'run-flat' mode and displays the active temperature of the tire on display in the iDrive, color coated to greed, orange, or red based on the severity of running temperature.

The trade off over ride-comfort is worth it to some folks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      04-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Don't blame you one bit. I applaud the true DD road warriors who don't care and replace their cars every 3 years, but for those of us who have our "fun" cars paid off (or not) and want to maximize our enjoyment over at least a 10 year span, having a 2nd car to take the daily rush hour abuse is definitely the way to go.
Yea, I applaud them too. I tried it, lost a ton of money over 10 years/5 new cars doing this and now a proud owner of two vehicles (with no payments). One serves as DD/runner/furniture hauler, the other is pure joy. When you're no longer making payments on your car, and actually own it, you'll look at it differently. It's like that feeling I had at 16-17 owning my first GTI, paid for in cash earned for two years prior, nothing like it.

Trying to get both out of one newer car, I found I lost a sense of value and the true "ownership" feeling. Something you never feel on a lease (imo), it's basically a rental that you know you won't buy out because that "next" model is right there waiting. The auto makers have done a great job at this, as of late

I was also a DD warrior in the past due to owning a condo with only one parking stall, but now have plenty of room being away from the City, so that was a game changer as well.

Last edited by Dylan86; 04-17-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      04-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
In my household, there have never been more cars than drivers, over many years.
I DD'ed my E46 325 for 13 years. Towards the end, it had no rear suspension to speak of, so the potholes could do little harm.
My current DD 235 is just over four years old now. It is in perfect shape despite a few road-blown tires and I expect to keep it until one of us dies. My wife can have it if I go first.
Who are these babies!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Runflats might be stiff and not too performance-orientation but it saved my ass before. When you hit a crater, then the tire light illuminates, its a great feeling be able to drive away from the scene, like a boss. It's a 'life-hack' for your vehicle.

Do note that the 235i TPMS software is smart enough to know it's deflated to 'run-flat' mode and displays the active temperature of the tire on display in the iDrive, color coated to greed, orange, or red based on the severity of running temperature.

count me amongst those folks!

i DD the DC beltway and major highways on the maryland side. DC295 is particularly awful. i would NEVER stop to change a flat on any of these roads for fear of my life. i see cars pulled over with flats every day, and say a little prayer for the poor souls out there with their backs to crazy traffic while trying to change a flat.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:

RFT's aren't worth it to me. When you blow out two in a 6 month period and are out almost $700, it's time to swap to non-RFT. I bought a whole new set of Mich AS3+ for a little over what it cost for two RFT's. That's what roadside assistance is for.
Appreciate 3
Mehim76.50
      04-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Quote:

RFT's aren't worth it to me. When you blow out two in a 6 month period and are out almost $700, it's time to swap to non-RFT. I bought a whole new set of Mich AS3+ for a little over what it cost for two RFT's. That's what roadside assistance is for.
I agree, runflats are expensive and there is a loss in performance. However, I was just pointing out that some folks prefer the benefits of the them. Women for instance.

I live in NYC and sometimes roadside assistance takes hours to arrive. I could only imagine how much longer they take in less populous states to show up.

Then changing a spare on the side of the road is a no-no for me; I read stories of people who get run over by less aware drivers. I rather ruin a rim and tire than risk myself getting injured on the side of the road. I know once upon a time this was the norm but nowadays the roads are infested with inattentive and inconsiderate drivers. They'll run your ass over and flee the scene.

Don't get me wrong, I would always choose non-runflats if I'm given the choice for the performance aspect but I won't downplay the benefits of the technology for a daily driver.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00