THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics pp82dsp bimmertech sound like crap

04-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

pp82dsp bimmertech sound like crap

Hi,

I bought a used pp82dsp from a forum member and installed it and now all I hear is so much treble it makes I had to put bass on max and treble on 0, to even just make it bearable.

Any idea what's going on here?

I did also install a used set of bavsound speakers from another forum member with an F30 HK. I emailed Bavsound, they said that other than the F22 kit being ferrite rather than neodymium, slightly heavier, and not as good at max volume, the speakers will work just fine. They did sound better than stock with the BMW factory amp. The minute I went to the bimmertech it ear-piercing trebles-ville and I never listen to music anymore.

Brand new to A/V upgrade, any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

You need to load a sound file to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
You need to load a sound file to it.
I tried an F22 HK file I found on here. Sounded bad.
I ended up making all the speakers flat, and it improved. Still not ideal though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

As being 'Brand New to AV upgrade', you probably ought to read up a bit on things. Troubleshooting is a painful, trial/error process. It is also a risk you take when you buy second-hand equipment, especially electronics like amps/DSP's. You may have a defective amp, or you may not have the proper settings in place. If you have no idea of crossover points, bandpass ranges, time alignment, etc, a spectacular aftermarket product can sound spectacularly bad. I myself would never buy a used amp or DSP unless I knew and trusted the seller. As for the speakers, those are more straightforward; less variables, easier to troubleshoot.

I'd recommend resetting everything, assign proper inputs, do some level matching for the drivers you're using, set crossovers, perhaps set time alignment. If all of that does not yield good results, you may consider bench testing your amp.

The only other thing I can think of is that you may have to temper your expectations a bit. While the PP82 is a great product, much of it's appeal is the ease of installation. If your standards are high (from home audio), the PP82 will disappoint. You will need to invest a considerable amount of resources to achieve the sound quality you desire.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
As being 'Brand New to AV upgrade', you probably ought to read up a bit on things. Troubleshooting is a painful, trial/error process. It is also a risk you take when you buy second-hand equipment, especially electronics like amps/DSP's. You may have a defective amp, or you may not have the proper settings in place. If you have no idea of crossover points, bandpass ranges, time alignment, etc, a spectacular aftermarket product can sound spectacularly bad. I myself would never buy a used amp or DSP unless I knew and trusted the seller. As for the speakers, those are more straightforward; less variables, easier to troubleshoot.

I'd recommend resetting everything, assign proper inputs, do some level matching for the drivers you're using, set crossovers, perhaps set time alignment. If all of that does not yield good results, you may consider bench testing your amp.

The only other thing I can think of is that you may have to temper your expectations a bit. While the PP82 is a great product, much of it's appeal is the ease of installation. If your standards are high (from home audio), the PP82 will disappoint. You will need to invest a considerable amount of resources to achieve the sound quality you desire.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
Im comparing to my old Lexus Gs350 900 watt Mark Levinson system.
I messed around with the software for 3-4 hours yesterday. It improved dramatically, but I simply slid the sliders here and there and listened to whatever sounded better. I cant pretend I had any clue I understood what I was actually doing. It ended up sounding much much better, but then I couldnt figure out how to apply it and make the amp keep the settings. The minute I disconnected my laptop it reverted back to old settings.

I've googled for hours. Steep learning curve here. Thought this was really just a plug and play proposition. Had I known its such a process and the sound isnt even all that much better, I'd never have sunk the funds in this and left the HK system alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
... but then I couldnt figure out how to apply it and make the amp keep the settings. The minute I disconnected my laptop it reverted back to old settings.
This is easy. On the Audiotech-Fischer DSP software, you have to hit SAVE for all of the changes to remain permanent on the amp. It's just how they decided to make the software work. Once you've made all of your tweaks, save it.

I don't think I've heard the ML system in the Lexus, but from other's experiences, it's much better than the HK in the BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Call Bavsound ask them to email you their stock tune for your car and your speakers. At least as a baseline you'll know everything is supposed to work together - if it still sounds off then you've got a hardware problem.

They're pretty good with help I don't think they'd have any problem helping you.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #8
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Download and read the "DSP Special Vol 2" from audiotec fischer. It's based on version 3 of the software, but much of it still applies to version 4.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/d...ning-magazine/
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #9
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Download and read the "DSP Special Vol 2" from audiotec fischer. It's based on version 3 of the software, but much of it still applies to version 4.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/d...ning-magazine/
Thanks! will do this weekend.
Appreciate 0