THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Rear Speakers

03-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Rear Speakers

Put this in the M2 forum but didn't get any response....I have the 2 series HK audio.
So just wired up my new rear speaker setup. JL Audio C5-400cm's and C2-075ct tweeters. Was walking past my car and was looking in the back window before the install. What caught my attention was the shape of the two holes in the back deck. Looks like it would not be too much trouble to fit a 4" x 6" speaker back there....and yes I know that most of us hardly use the rear speakers....
So I do some reading and find that most oval speakers are not as tight as rounds but they produce way more bass. How many articles have I read about the lack of bass in our cars! I know this would not add much but it all helps. Some claim a frequency response of 50-20,000hz. I doubt I would use the integrated tweeters.
Anyone try this? It is a one way journey...once you cut that new hole...but the material would be super easy to cut and the HK cover would still fit perfectly.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Many of us, including myself, went with the JL Audio C2-400x as is mentioned in this thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238 It's basically a plug and play which doesn't require any additional cutting or customizing. I understand you want the extra bass but have you thought about going with a separate amp/sub to achieve this? I need my bass so I went with a JL 10w3-v3 and JL JX500 monoblock amp because it's much cheaper than upgrading the factory subs and it's much harder hitting. Actually, it can be a bit overwhelming so I have to dial it down quite a bit but I'm very happy with the sound. Total amount spent was around $650 and it's now a decent sounding system.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Many of us, including myself, went with the JL Audio C2-400x as is mentioned in this thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238 It's basically a plug and play which doesn't require any additional cutting or customizing. I understand you want the extra bass but have you thought about going with a separate amp/sub to achieve this? I need my bass so I went with a JL 10w3-v3 and JL JX500 monoblock amp because it's much cheaper than upgrading the factory subs and it's much harder hitting. Actually, it can be a bit overwhelming so I have to dial it down quite a bit but I'm very happy with the sound. Total amount spent was around $650 and it's now a decent sounding system.
Thanks for the reply. I have a set of C5-400's (in fact 2 sets) but they only go down to 100hz and the 4" x 6"'s go down to 50kz. Not much difference but is in that sweet spot I was thinking Polk speakers are $50. Just thinking out load though!

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0