THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2023: Mexican GP - Mexico City (Oct 29)

10-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #287
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Checo just could have either gone wide in T1, or brake earlier and gotten LEC at either the next corner or the next straight (if necessairy wait for DRS)
Checo had the lead and was on racing line. Why should he back down? I'm sure Checo thought that Max was plenty clear of Charles, after all, Checo had a lot more space to make up in the launch than Max did, why would he expect Max to be almost perfectly in line with him. That would have given Charles room to move over.

That was Charles' accident to avoid, imo. He didn't, and no fault to him, it was clearly a racing incident.
Appreciate 3
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #288
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
There is also the difference in where they are in the championship.
Checo's #2 place is on the line, and thus his seat at RB, and he is in the car that is technically still miles ahead of the competition. Look at how Max won again. Checo just could have either gone wide in T1, or brake earlier and gotten LEC at either the next corner or the next straight (if necessairy wait for DRS)
He might not win from Max, but when is that ever gonna happen.
The 2 times he won from Max this year, was all because Max had bad luck (first with a broken driveshaft in quali and 2nd time with pitting just before the safety car). Both times Max finished 2nd and would have finished 1st if he didnt have the bad luck.
Checo is so lucky that Hammy makes the same stupid mistakes and Merc makes strategic mistakes, otherwise his #2 place would have been gone a long time ago.
But it gives us still some spectacle in the WDC.
But in reality there are so many drivers that deserve that RB seat more than Checo imho.
My prediction is that next year RIC will get that seat for 1 year (I don't think they'll sign him for more than 1 year at RB), and silly season next year is gonna be crazy.
So many drivers having their contract ended at the end of 2025, and they'll all want to have that seat that then RIC is occupying.
So maybe ALB, NOR, or even ALO at RB for 2026? Or RIC of course if he finds his 2nd career next year and is really good.

BTW, all those moments in that video of Max, Max was in a way slower car.
That also changes perspective for a driver.
This. That's all he had to do and if can't figure it out then it's time for him to depart.
Appreciate 3
GuidoK11087.50
M3WC3648.00
      10-30-2023, 11:28 AM   #289
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

That was Charles' accident to avoid, imo. He didn't, and no fault to him, it was clearly a racing incident.
LEC had nowhere to go.
Checo was narrowing in on LEC.
In the picture of ///M Power-Belgium you can see that they are already interlocking wheels. How can LEC possibly maneuvre out of that?

If you drive 3 cars width into a corner, and one is narrowing in, you get a crash.
Exactly the same as in Qatar with HAM, RUS and VER.
In Qatar I thought there maybe would have been teamorders, that RUS might be ordered to reduce pace for HAM and tuck behind Max to make a MERC sandwich, but that wasn't the case, and then you get the same thing.

These are indeed classed as racing incidents, but imo that doesn't exclude that someone was very stupid
In Qatar it was HAM with a stupid move, and here it was PER.
And that move from PER could have been a bigger disaster, as taking out LEC could just as much have ment that LEC would also take out Max.
You never know what a crashing car is going to do....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 11:33 AM   #290
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Mainly teenybopper votes.
The F1 driver of the day is currently just BS !

Don't see a driver achieving what MAX has achieved in every race in the 2022 and 2023 season ...
Like winning '16 races in one season (so far) With still 3 races to go !
And that can be '19 wins as MAX can win everywhere !

But yeah . Let us give the other drivers a chance as well ..

#SimplyLovely

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11087.50
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 11:38 AM   #291
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
LEC had nowhere to go.
In the picture of ///M Power-Belgium you can see that they are already interlocking wheels. How can LEC possibly maneuvre out of that?

If you drive 3 cars width into a corner, and one is narrowing in, you get a crash.
In Qatar I thought there maybe would have been teamorders, that RUS might be ordered to reduce pace for HAM and tuck behind Max to make a MERC sandwich, but that wasn't the case, and then you get the same thing.

These are indeed classed as racing incidents, but imo that doesn't exclude that someone was very stupid
And that move from PER could have been a bigger disaster, as taking out LEC could just as much have ment that LEC would also take out Max.
Spot on my friend !
Your posts are always great and straight to the point (as usual)!
Further I want to thank you , for posting all the F1 threads . Great job ..

#NoBS !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
GuidoK11087.50
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 11:46 AM   #292
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

Don't see a driver achieving what MAX has achieved in every race in the 2022 and 2023 season ...

#SimplyLovely

My assumption was that Lando has a lot of very young followers because of his change of style with the bizarre pop star haircut and frenetic speak which has attracted a certain following.
Appreciate 1
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 11:49 AM   #293
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LEC had nowhere to go.

Many other times, the middle driver who is getting squished by two other clearly faster cars backs out of the situation instead of holding their spot... Max and Checo were clearly in the lead when the incident occurred. A tap on the brakes from Charles would have avoided the accident and barely made an impact on his pace. It looks like he was trying to, but just didn't do it soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #294
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
"How to vote for Driver of the Day"
"It’s incredibly simple to get involved. You just need to go to the voting page on the official F1 website and cast your vote once the window opens."
"Your next opportunity is on Sunday November 5th for the Brazilian Grand Prix at the Autódromo José Carlos Pace."

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...-lando-norris/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:55 AM   #295
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Max is currently terribly boring to watch. There's a reason the only time you really see him on camera is lap one and when he's crossing the finish line. Sure, there's reason to celebrate him, but imo, driver of the day goes to the driver that overcame the odds, not the driver who did exactly what everyone knew was going to happen.

Lando killed it yesterday. His overtakes on Ricciardo and Russel were incredible. So much more fun to watch him overtake cars left and right than it is to watch Max take a nap out front of the field.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #296
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

#SimplyLovely

+1
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 12:03 PM   #297
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Checo had the lead and was on racing line. Why should he back down? I'm sure Checo thought that Max was plenty clear of Charles, after all, Checo had a lot more space to make up in the launch than Max did, why would he expect Max to be almost perfectly in line with him. That would have given Charles room to move over.

Because Checo was on the outside in T1 . This wasn't the ideal race line to run into T1 with his speed .
Checo's speed was too fast on the outside , and the long straight came very quickly to an end .
So Checo had 3 possibilities :

1- Brake too late , locking up and lose positions
2- Going straight through because there was no room on the inside
3- Turning too sharp into T1 to make it with 2 other cars on the inside of T1 (suicide mission)!

Checo's choise was possibility-option 3..
But actually there was no room for option 3 , because it was occupied by Charlie and MAX .
We all witnessed what followed ! ...:Too bad for Checo !

Appreciate 2
GuidoK11087.50
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 12:10 PM   #298
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Because Checo was on the outside in T1 . This wasn't the ideal race line to run into T1 with his speed .
Checo's speed was too fast on the outside , and the long straight came very quickly to an end .
So Checo had 3 possibilities :

1- Brake too late , locking up and lose positions
2- Going straight through because there was no room on the inside
3- Turning too sharp into T1 to make it with 2 other cars on the inside of T1 (suicide mission)!

Checo's choise was possibility-option 3..
But actually there was no room for option 3 , because it was occupied by Charlie and MAX .
We all witnessed what followed ! ...:Too bad for Checo !
Not saying it was a great move, but at the same time there was another driver involved in this incident who could have also done something different to avoid the accident. And that other driver knew a lot more about the situation than Checo or Max did alone since he could see that he was already beat by both RB. We all saw the three wide issue, and so did Charles, but I don't think Checo did. I think Checo assumed that Max had a clear lead on Charles and they were only going 2 wide into T1.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:13 PM   #299
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
A tap on the brakes from Charles would have avoided the accident and barely made an impact on his pace.
Checo was cutting him off. He drove into LEC line. That is a risk.
Max left room for LEC, LEC left room for Max.
The only driver that didn't leave room was Checo.
And it cost him.
Checo took an unnecessary risk, not only taking himself out, but also risking taking out Max in the process.
It's just a stupid move to make.
Can you imagine what happened if Max was also taken out?
RIC would have probably been driving a RB in Interlagos

BTW I don't think Max is boring to watch. Sure, no one can fight him at the moment, but it's interesting to see what strategic decisions he makes and when and where he gains so much time.
Sure, if you want Nascar spectacle, he's not that driver (he was, and everyone criticised him for that....), but now he's so much in control of his own race. Yes the RB19 is a great car, but it's only great in Max' hands. If Max wasn't driving it, but another Checo, it would be nothing more than an OK car, struggeling with development.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-30-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 12:23 PM   #300
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Checo took an unnecessary risk, not only taking himself out, but also risking taking out Max in the process.
He could take out any other driver, but not MAX! Meanwhile, years ago Max actually takes out his own teammate with no other cars around and he's "just young".

Really though, nobody beyond the cult cares what Max does at this point. I'd rather see Liam sitting in his RB for the rest of the season.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:28 PM   #301
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Really though, nobody beyond the cult cares what Max does at this point. I'd rather see Liam sitting in his RB for the rest of the season.
I think Horner/Marko and the sponsors care...
But yes, there is no doubt who is the fastest person on the grid. Who makes the least mistakes. Who has the best team surrounding him. Who performs exactly when he has to.
There is no battle for #1 in the WDC. The lead he has on #2 (the same car....) is by far the biggest lead ever in the history of F1, also if you correct for the amount of points that can be had in a year.
However, the battle for #2 is epic and full of Nascar action

And yes, LAW definately deserves a seat in F1. But it's not gonna be Max' seat.
But LAW deserves a seat more than PER, STR, SAR, KMAG, ZHO and TSU. And that's probably not even the complete list.

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-30-2023 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #302
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Not saying it was a great move, but at the same time there was another driver involved in this incident who could have also done something different to avoid the accident. And that other driver knew a lot more about the situation than Checo or Max did alone since he could see that he was already beat by both RB. We all saw the three wide issue, and so did Charles, but I don't think Checo did. I think Checo assumed that Max had a clear lead on Charles and they were only going 2 wide into T1.
Charlie didn't have a chance to react, he couldn't go right as Max had quickly moved left to take the corner and if he would have braked then Checo with his momentum would have hit his wheel anyway on more of an outside angle maybe tipping him over even more.
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 12:34 PM   #303
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Max is currently terribly boring to watch. There's a reason the only time you really see him on camera is lap one and when he's crossing the finish line. Sure, there's reason to celebrate him, but imo, driver of the day goes to the driver that overcame the odds, not the driver who did exactly what everyone knew was going to happen.

Lando killed it yesterday. His overtakes on Ricciardo and Russel were incredible. So much more fun to watch him overtake cars left and right than it is to watch Max take a nap out front of the field.
Well mate , I don't agree with that ..
The Mercedes dominance was for 6-7 years even worse , as they lapped the rest of the field with 2 cars !
After just 'one lap (actually the start)! they ran out of sight and disappeared for the rest of the race ..
That was 'REALLY boring and people didn't watched the F1 races anymore...

Thank God , that MAX was able to fight them in like dog-fights and to split the Merc's at some moments in his 40 km/h 'slower car !
Thanks to MAX , F1 is back alive !
That's why MAX vs Checo is like : "Day and Night" .....'

Boring races ?
Well mate ,can't say that . I've seen countless close fights in this race , wheel to wheel in this race ..

I agree about Lando . Lando is a fantastic driver (no doubt)! But still far from MAX's level , because MAX is 'already unseen in the F1 history !
Can't see who can beat MAX in this season ?
Yeah . I would love too see Lando in the RB19 or in the RB20 in the 2024 season.
But unfortunately that won't happen..

Appreciate 2
M5Rick61574.00
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 12:34 PM   #304
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
It was impressive what myself and many viewers witnessed...

"He may not have made the podium this time, but it was another stunning drive from Lando Norris in Mexico City, the McLaren man coming from a P17 grid slot to take the chequered flag in P5, pulling off some superb overtakes along the way. Fantastic stuff – and you agreed. Here’s how the voting broke down…"

Lando Norris - 29.5%
Daniel Ricciardo - 21.6%
Lewis Hamilton - 12.2%
Sergio Perez - 8.3%
Max Verstappen - 7.5%

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...UqV0k4w3o.html
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:50 PM   #305
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Charlie was in a wheel to wheel fight with MAX . Let us not forget that Charlie ran with the pole car !
For the 3th car in T1 ?
That was Checo he came from P5 ! That's the '3th row at the start grid mate..
In other words : Checo came suddenly in with a dive-bomb into T1 ...'
And he damaged Charlie's Ferrari with his dive-bomb !
This could have been worse , like a torpedo for the top-3 drivers !

Appreciate 2
M5Rick61574.00
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 12:51 PM   #306
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

8 podiums in 19 races. In quite possibly the most dominate F1 car in history. 16 wins for his teammate.

Checo is trash.

He was decent at one point, but his confidence is forever gone.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61574.00
GuidoK11087.50
      10-30-2023, 12:57 PM   #307
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Where can Charlie go?!?

Pretty much side by side, Checo already starts steering in:

Checo steering in:

Too late, wheels are already in interlocking position, crash unavoidable!

From the cockpit: where can Charlie go?

Next to eachother:

about ~20m later: interlocking position, crash unavoidable
Also watch how close Charles already is to Max!
They're like 40cm apart.

Appreciate 2
M5Rick61574.00
      10-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #308
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
8 podiums in 19 races. In quite possibly the most dominate F1 car in history. 16 wins for his teammate.

Checo is trash.

He was decent at one point, but his confidence is forever gone.
Not only is his confidence gone but from this point he may be a danger to himself and other drivers with his 'banzai' all or nothing lunges.
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11087.50