THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Speaker & Amp Replacement Questions

04-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i xDrive + '21 Z4 M40i

Speaker & Amp Replacement Questions

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers using the Focal IFBMW-S kit and a JL XD600/6v2 amp. I'm planning on leaving the under-seat subs to start but I may go overkill and put the IFBMW-C kit in the rears (if they fit, I haven't checked yet) as I prefer more of a "surround" sound.

My first question is about the line-level out (using Technic's harness) and if it's a full, flat signal.

My second question is regarding the factory amp. I suspect BMW does all of the EQ adjustments in the amp which is why we got short changed and have no EQ settings with the cheaper amp they used in the 2 series.

If that's the case, is the balance, fade, treble and bass adjusted through the head unit and will work just fine with an aftermarket amp replacement; or an I going to loose those controls via iDrive?

My last question is regarding the under-seat subs and having them in stereo or mono. Will I really notice a difference? I ask as I'm also considering the JL Audio XD700/5 amp to get a bit more punch from the woofers, especially if I upgrade them to the Focal IFBMW-Subs.

Any comments are welcome and much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Umster
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i coupe MT

I'm patiently waiting for M235i (agonizing!). I've had aftermarket audio gear in my cars for a long time. From what I've seen posted, the answer to some of your questions may depend on which stereo you have. If you have the standard stereo, there are 4 unprocessed analog channels coming from the head unit to the stock amp in the trunk. The signals are then filtered/equalized by the amp and sent to the speakers. If you have the Harmon Karden upgrade the signals from the head unit are digital to the amp and you may only be able to tap into the signal after it is processed by the amp. In either case you shouldn't lose the fader or balance controls.

As to your decision about the amps, if you are not planning to put a sub in the trunk and will only use the subs under the seats, you could use the 5 or 6 channel amp. If you plan on possibly having a larger sub in the trunk and use the speakers under the seats as mid bass drivers, you might be better off with the JL XD 700/5 (this is option I'm considering). Here's why. The 700/5's crossovers allow you to run a band pass option on channels 3&4. If you use channels 1&2 for the speakers in the doors (plus or minus the tweeters) and set the high pass crossover point, then you can select band pass mode for channels 3&4 and select a high crossover point, so you can send the lowest frequencies to the sub in the trunk using channel 5. Channels 3&4 will then have a low pass crossover point the same as the high pass crossover point as channels 1&2. That way you can send just mid bass frequencies to the subs under the seat.

As for the rear speakers, you could just run them off the factory amp (if you're in the front seats, you probably don't need accurate sound reproduction, just some rear fill. You may not even need to replace the factory speakers.

If you are experienced with aftermarket stereos, I apologize for the expanded explanation of high/band/low pass crossover set-up. I'm from the Aurora, just north of Toronto, so your car (if you bought it in Canada) my future M235i have different packages and standard equipment than in the U.S. Even the info we read about how the head unit sends signals to the amp might be different. Lastly, the salesperson at the dealership told me there was ASD in the model I am leasing. If there is ASD, you may have to bypass that or the processed engine noises may become louder if put in an aftermarket amp. You may just have to go to the trunk and see how it's connected.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the info! I ended up having the audio system upgraded earlier this week with Focal KRS-100s in the front, a JL600/6 amp and the audio harness from Technic.

I have the HK system and the harness made it super simple to replace the factory amp. Completely plug and play, no cut wires. The 600/6 fits right where the factory amp goes and so the 700/5 should as well as they're the same size.

There's still a bit of tuning to do as the tweeters are a bit bright and the bass is still lacking. I believe there's a switch on the crossover to deal with the tweeters and I'll adjust the gain on the sub channels. I may end up installing the focal subs that are a direct replacement for the OEM ones depending on the results.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Umster
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i coupe MT

Sounds like you're well on your way to possible stereo nirvana.

How did you go about getting the Technics harness?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umster
Sounds like you're well on your way to possible stereo nirvana.

How did you go about getting the Technics harness?
PM Technic on here, he sells the harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
sakitnyatudisini
Banned
Rep
Drives: ford f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyscott View Post
PM Technic on here, he sells the harnesses.
Thanks for advice, I will buy it now
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I ended up having the audio system upgraded earlier this week with Focal KRS-100s in the front, a JL600/6 amp and the audio harness from Technic.

I have the HK system and the harness made it super simple to replace the factory amp. Completely plug and play, no cut wires. The 600/6 fits right where the factory amp goes and so the 700/5 should as well as they're the same size.

There's still a bit of tuning to do as the tweeters are a bit bright and the bass is still lacking. I believe there's a switch on the crossover to deal with the tweeters and I'll adjust the gain on the sub channels. I may end up installing the focal subs that are a direct replacement for the OEM ones depending on the results.
Did you change the speakers yourself or pay someone? I'm sticking with the base radio and want to change out the stock speakers, but doors scare me a little.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
Did you change the speakers yourself or pay someone? I'm sticking with the base radio and want to change out the stock speakers, but doors scare me a little.
I am looking to change out the speakers as well (I have the HIFI system, not HK).

Have purchased the sail tweeters and the Focal upgrade kit.

Browsing around there are a few videos online and it doesn't look too bad. BAV sound in particular have some good videos.

I haven't found any specific 2 series door trim removal instructions yet though.

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
I am looking to change out the speakers as well (I have the HIFI system, not HK).

Browsing around there are a few videos online and it doesn't look too bad. BAV sound in particular have some good videos.

I haven't found any specific 2 series door trim removal instructions yet though.
i've done it before (even though its been a while) and remember breaking a clip or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post

See this thread. It's my writeup on door speaker install impressions, and post #4 has some insight into the right way to approach taking off the doors.

Then, watch this video. Though it's on an F30, virtually everything applies.

After those two steps, it'll be a (relative) piece of cake.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep

I paid someone to do it. They just used some speaker adapters and said the install was a piece of cake.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I paid someone to do it. They just used some speaker adapters and said the install was a piece of cake.
I had Car Toys install my new speakers. They were able to use the existing wiring harness. The door speakers did require spacers so that the Focals didn't rub on the windows.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
sakitnyatudisini
Banned
Rep
Drives: ford f150

Quote:
can you show me pics it ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakitnyatudisini
Quote:
can you show me pics it ? [IMG]http://mazpics.science/55/g.png[/IMG]
I don't have any pics with the doors off. The whole install looks completely factory, other than you see the power lead connected to the battery in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:

I thought the HK system utilized digital signals via the MOST network? Technic's harness is for analogue Base/HiFi setups. Am I missing something here?

I have an M235i with HK and currently investigating upgrade options.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #16
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep

The harness is installed and working.. with the factory HK system. I just PMd Tecnic and he sent the correct harness.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:
The harness is installed and working.. with the factory HK system. I just PMd Tecnic and he sent the correct harness.
Hmm. This i find this strange as well as Technic is quite adamant about not upgrading HK systems. There is much more to it than just using his harness for anything more than adding a sub. If not, than he has some 'splaining to do.

I just looked at pics of your car, and you do indeed have HK. So, unless the 2er is completely different than the other cars Technic has been up to something.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

HK on F22 is different and uses analog 42 pin connector to remote amp.
This is reason why it lacks many features that other HK upgrade has like parametric equalizer.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #19
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
HK on F22 is different and uses analog 42 pin connector to remote amp.
This is reason why it lacks many features that other HK upgrade has like parametric equalizer.
Eeeeeenteresting ...

... and if I'd paid nearly a grand for HK sound on a Zweier, I'd be even more POed than I already was ...

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I had Car Toys install my new speakers. They were able to use the existing wiring harness. The door speakers did require spacers so that the Focals didn't rub on the windows.
Car Toys, now that is a name I have not heard in some time. I used to be an installer (certified First Class) for QC Stereo in Bellingham back in my days. I worked out of the Oak Harbor Office. Is Mobile Music still in business?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #21
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
Car Toys, now that is a name I have not heard in some time. I used to be an installer (certified First Class) for QC Stereo in Bellingham back in my days. I worked out of the Oak Harbor Office. Is Mobile Music still in business?
Yes, Mobile Music still has several locations north of Seattle.
Appreciate 0